These chocolate coconut bars are similar to a coconut macaroon, except this batter has extra egg whites that result in a more cake-like texture. The recipe is easy to make and budget-friendly.
This recipe was submitted by Coconut Mama reader and paleo food blogger Carol of Ditch The Wheat. Thank you for sharing your lovely recipe, Carol!
I’m Carol Lovett, from the blog Ditch The Wheat. I love making desserts, especially with coconut in them.
You’ll always find me playing around with coconut flour and coconut oil in my recipes. I love working with both of these ingredients. If you do too, we’ll be great friends! I’m sharing a recipe I developed specifically for you on Coconut Mama’s blog! I call it chocolate coconut bars.
If you are intimated by baking with coconut flour, you’ll find chocolate coconut bars are easy to make, and you probably have the ingredients in your cupboard to get started. All you need is egg whites, shredded coconut, and chocolate. Plus, it’s a budget-friendly dessert/snack to make, and I like that!
Chocolate Coconut Bars
These chocolate coconut bars are similar to a coconut macaroon, except this batter has extra egg whites that result in a more cake-like texture. They are also topped with a yummy chocolate icing. The recipe is easy to make and budget friendly.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 bars 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 4 egg whites, (save the egg yolks for homemade mayo)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup raw honey or more
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut, fine
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips (dark or milk chocolate ~ adjust for desired sweetness)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 4 1/2″ x 8 1/2″ (a.k.a. a loaf pan) baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, using a mixing machine, whip the egg whites to soft peaks.
- Add honey and vanilla and continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
- Add cocoa powder and salt and mix until incorporated.
- Fold in the shredded coconut. Spread the mixture in the baking dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted in the middle and comes out without any batter.
- Allow the bars to cool before spreading with icing.
- Place the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small pot on low heat. Stir continuously until the chocolate chips have melted.
- Spread over the cooled bars. Place the bars in the fridge to firm.
- Cut into 8 squares. The bars are slightly delicate so be careful cutting them. Store the bars in the fridge.
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 287
- Sugar: 17g
- Fat: 23g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 0g
This recipe was originally published on October 6th, 2013 and was updated with new images and recipe data on February 25th, 2022.As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.