Using coconut oil for hair is easy, but how exactly does it benefit you? Here are 10 benefits and uses (including 3 DIY recipes) that’ll leave your hair nourished and soft.
Coconut oil is pretty amazing, as I’ve talked about it many times. But coconut oil is pretty special when it comes to hair. Most of us have bought into this healthy trend and tried an overnight soak or a basic coconut oil hair treatment.
Coconut oil is one of the few substances that can actually penetrate the hair follicle. It gets right inside your hair itself and helps address lots of concerns directly. It’s pretty special!
Here’s how coconut oil can help your hair:
7 Benefits of Using Coconut Oil For Hair
1. Coconut oil for hair means direct strength.
It’s all about diving deep! Because coconut oil goes directly into the strands of your hair itself, it can strengthen your hair from the inside out. It can help replace the proteins themselves within your hair. This makes it much stronger than it would be if you used a conditioner that just sits on top of your hair.
2. Coconut oil helps prevent dandruff.
Coconut oil is a great hair conditioner, but that doesn’t quite explain how it helps prevent dandruff. This has to do with the particular fatty acids that coconut oil contains. The combination is just so that it helps to balance out your hair and prevent dandruff from happening.
3. Coconut oil mimics natural hair substances.
Have you ever put coconut oil in your hair just to see it all get “sucked up”? Your hair was probably thirsty!
Part of the reason why coconut oil is so effective at repairing hair is because it mimics sebum. This is a natural substance that your hair produces to replenish itself and balance everything out. This makes it a much more natural aid for hair health than most conditioners.
4. Coconut oil can help prevent split ends.
Again, blame the deep-diving benefits. Coconut oil (especially in combination with almond oil) can be applied topically to help heal split ends. Definitely helps save a trip to the stylist!
5. Coconut oil is a natural hair detangler.
How much did we all pay for that hair detangler for kids back in the day? Ten dollars? Fifteen?
Coconut oil is a great alternative for store-bought detangler, and is much cheaper to boot. You just have to be careful not to apply it so close to the roots that your hair looks greasy.
6. Coconut oil helps prevent hair loss.
There are some situations where baldness is hereditary and can’t be avoided. But when hair loss is temporary, there’s nothing like coconut oil to help prevent it. It’s all about diving deep and replenishing the vitamins at the source.
7. Coconut oil can encourage your hair to grow faster.
All these factors lead up to the fact that coconut oil is the speedy hair growth treatment we all wanted back in sixth grade. For real!
Now, having everything in moderation is important for healthy hair and a healthy body. But applying coconut oil as a hair mask, as a daily protecting agent or in your shampoo regularly is a good way to make sure your hair’s healthy enough to grow long and strong. Just keep at it and aim for hair health.
3 Ways To Use Coconut Oil For Hair
1. Coconut Oil Hair Mask
I apply coconut oil to my hair dry just like the woman in the video below (starts at 4:00). I also use the shampoo she mentions (SheaMoisture) when I wash the coconut oil hair mask out of my hair.
Coconut Oil Hair Mask Recipe
This hair mask is a perfect place to start if you’re looking to use coconut oil for hair.
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil (use more or less, depending on the length of your hair)
- 2-3 Drops of Essential Oils*
- Mix the coconut oil and essential oils together in a small bowl.
- Apply the coconut oil hair mask to your hair while it’s dry.
- Leave the hair mask on your hair for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
- Wash your hair with a natural shampoo.
- You may need to wash your hair twice to remove all the coconut oil from your hair.
* Which essential oils should you use? I use patchouli, Myrrh and lavender when my hair is dry, lavender and clary sage for normal hair and rosemary, ylang ylang and tea tree for oily hair. If you’re goal is to encourage hair growth, peppermint and rosemary are two essential oils that may help stimulate hair growth.
Remember, a little goes a long way. I only add 1-2 drops of essential oils to my coconut oil hair mask.
2. Coconut Oil Frizz Tamer
Coconut oil can be used to tame undated frizz! I use this on my hair and on my curly-haired daughters hair. Make sure to only use a very small amount of coconut oil when applying to your hair. If you apply too much your hair will look greasy.
I dab my finger into my coconut oil, rub my hands together and wipe down my frizz.
3. Coconut Milk Shampoo
Coconut milk contains all the benefits of coconut oil and can be used in your homemade shampoo! I alternate between this homemade shampoo and Shea Moisture shampoo.Print
Coconut Milk Shampoo
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Milk
- 1/3 Cup Liquid Castile Soap
- 1Teaspoon Vitamin E Oil
- 10 to 20 Drops Essential Oils
- Combine all the ingredients into a container ( I used an empty shampoo bottle). Use like you would regular shampoo.
How has coconut oil helped your hair? Share your story!