Can you use coconut oil for weight loss? This tropical oil will not only help you lose inches, but it’s also shown to increase energy and suppress appetite! Here are some facts about this healthy tropical oil.
If you are already living a healthy lifestyle and eating a sustainably “good for you” diet, there is one tropical treasure you will want to be sure that you are consuming. Coconut oil has been a staple in the diets of people living in the Pacific islands for thousands of years and their skin, hair, teeth, and overall health show just how amazing a gift this fruit really is.
Coconut oil is a unique friendly fat that has numerous science-backed therapeutic properties. In fact, numerous research shows that consuming just a couple of tablespoons of this tropical fat daily can help to reduce dangerous fat – especially the fat that accumulates around the midsection – AKA, the muffin top!
Let’s look at just some of the ways that adding coconut oil to your healthy diet can power up your metabolism and help with stubborn weight loss and how you can put this amazing fat to work for you!
The Fatty Acids in Coconut Oil are Available for Immediate Energy
Fatty acids are the building blocks of fat that come from what we eat. These blocks are broken down during digestion and absorbed into the blood. Fatty acid molecules are usually joined in groups for three to create a molecule known as a triglyceride.
Coconut oil has a unique structure – different from other fats in the diet. Most foods contain long-chain fatty acids while coconut oil is almost entirely made up of medium chain fatty acids. What makes this so special? To start with, medium chain fatty acids are metabolized in a different way than long chain fatty acids. The fatty acids in coconut oil go straight to the liver via the digestive system where they can be utilized for energy right away or converted to ketone bodies.
Science says: In one study rats were overfed with long chain fatty acids or medium chain fatty acids. The rats who were fed the medium chain fats gained 20% less weight and 23% less body fat compared to the other group.
Coconut Oil Can Help you Burn More Calories at Rest
Every calorie is unique, having different properties and behaving differently in the body. Some food requires more energy to breakdown and use than others. Coconut oil has a powerful thermogenic property – this means that when you eat it increases energy expenditure – or fat burning when compared to the same amount of calories from other fats. What this means is that a calorie from cocont oil does not react the same way in the body as a calorie from other healthy fats including olive oil or butter.
Science says: In one study, consuming 1 to 2 tablespoons of medium chain fats per day elevated energy output by 5% – or 120 calories daily. Other studies confirm the when we replace non-medium chain fats with medium chain fats we burn more calories.
Coconut Oil Can Tame an Overactive Appetite
Although it seems super simple – weight/fat loss is basically about your body using more energy than it consumes. Here is the catch, even though we need to be in a calorie deficit state to lose weight, it is not necessary to count calories. Isn’t that a freeing thought. This is where the quality of food intake, not so much quantity matters. Coconut oil is quality food that has the ability to turn down appetite needle leading to fewer calories consumed. Many people report that they don’t even notice eating less when they consume coconut oil – it just happens.
Science says: Studies show that medium chain fatty acids increase fullness and lead to a reduction in calorie intake when compared to the same amount of calories from other fats. This reaction is thought to be due to the way that medium chain fatty acids are metabolized. When you eat coconut oil ketone bodies in the liver have a strong appetite reducing impact.
In one study with healthy men, it was found that eating a large amount of medium chain fatty acids resulted in reducing caloric intake by a whopping 256 calories per day. Another study, >also done in healthy men, found that those who ate breakfast containing medium chain fatty acids at significantly fewer calories at lunchtime.
Coconut Oil Can Help Blast Stubborn Abdominal Fat
That stubborn abdominal fat is often referred to as visceral or belly fat. This is the type of fat that often builds up around organs and can cause inflammation and other concerning conditions such as heart disease and diabetes. In short, it is not the kind of fat that you want hanging around. Reducing this fat can have a powerful impact on your health and protect you from dangerous diseases. There is reason to be optimistic about the way coconut oil behaves in the body and its ability to help reduce dangerous belly fat. This is especially true when it is combined with a healthy lifestyle including a reduction in carbs and elimination of unhealthy, processed food and sugar along with an increase in activity.
What science says: In one study women consumed 2 tablespoons of either coconut oil or soybean oil over a 28 day period. Participants were instructed to eat fewer calories daily and take a walk each day. At the end of the study here is what was discovered:
- Both groups lost about 2 pounds each on average
- The group that consumed the coconut oil only had a reduction in waist circumference while the soybean group reported a small increase in belly size.
- Interestingly, the group that consumed coconut oil had a positive change in their lipid profile with an increase in good cholesterol. The group that consumed the soybean oil had a decrease in good cholesterol and an increase in bad cholesterol.
Obese men who consumed 30 grams of coconut oil for 4 weeks shaved 1.1 inches off of their waist circumference.Additional studies support the fact that consumption of medium chain fatty acids results in a reduction in waist circumference and additional improvement in metabolic health such as lipid profiles.
How To Use Coconut Oil For Weight Loss
Want to use coconut oil for weight loss but aren’t a big fan of taking a heaping tablespoon or two of coconut oil daily (many people aren’t)? Here are a few ideas to eat more of this amazing tropical fat burner: Remember, virgin coconut oil is always best.
- Cook with coconut oil – Coconut oil has a high smoke point – it won’t break down and is great for frying and baking. There is nothing more delicious than eggs or fish cooked in coconut oil. Try making stovetop popcorn using coconut oil – you will never go back to microwave!! Replace your old oils with coconut oil.
- Top your favorite soup with coconut oil – Adding a little coconut oil to your favorite soup will add a rich flavor and texture.
- Add coconut oil to your smoothies – Add melted coconut oil to all of your favorite smoothies. It gives your smoothie a creamy texture and a hint of the tropics.
- Add coconut oil to your coffee or tea – Adding a dollop or two of coconut oil to your coffee and tea is a great way to increase consumption.
- Add coconut oil to oatmeal – Coconut oil makes a great topping for your morning oatmeal. Try adding it when your oatmeal is warm and it will melt into simple goodness.
- Add it to your nut butter – Dump off the nut oil on the top of your jar and replace it with some coconut oil for a rich and delicious taste
Yummy, are you ready to eat more coconut oil and start burning fat?