This easy Keto Butter Chicken requires no marinating or a long list of ingredients. It’s simply made with coconut cream, tomato sauce, and warm spices like cinnamon but tastes like the authentic version.
Make a batch of this Keto Butter Chicken and you’ll feel like you’re eating takeout. Not only is it amazing tasting with a buttery chicken sauce with warm hints of cinnamon. It’s completely dairy-free and Whole 30 friendly.
To make this keto butter chicken dinner easy, I suggest preparing all of the ingredients ahead of time by doing the following:
1. Chop the chicken into 1-inch pieces.
2. Place all of the spices into a bowl so you can easily add it all in one step when the recipe calls for it.
3. Get your wet ingredients ready like the coconut cream, tomato sauce, and tomato paste. Then you can effortlessly pour it into the skillet and stir and viola your sauce is almost ready.
Shop Ingredients For Keto Butter Chicken Recipe:
Links in the post are Amazon affiliate links to products I use and love.Print
Keto Butter Chicken
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Indian
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Olive oil for sauteing (I love this brand)
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground chili spice
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups coconut cream
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- Cilantro, finely chopped for an optional garnish
- First, prepare all of your ingredients. Chop the onions and garlic and set aside.
- Place all of the spices, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces, and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place the chicken in the hot skillet, season with a little sea salt, and cook until the chicken is browned. Then remove the cooked chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the hot pan, season with a little sea salt, and saute until the onions are soft.
- Next, add the bowl of spices to the onions and garlic and stir to incorporate. Saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut cream, tomato sauce, and tomato paste and whisk to combine. Then add back in the cooked chicken.
- Cook for at least 15 minutes or until the sauce is at your desired thickness. You can increase the temperature to high-medium to speed this up.
- Serve over cauliflower rice and garnish with cilantro.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving (4 Total)
- Calories: 383
- Fat: 25.8g
- Carbohydrates: 14g (11.8g Net Carbs)
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 94.7
Keto Butter Chicken FAQ
Can I use heavy cream or yogurt instead of coconut cream?
Yes, you can use heavy cream or yoghurt in this recipe instead of coconut cream. I actually tested a few batches using yoghurt and I noticed that the sauce kept separating. Be mindful to use a high quality plain yoghurt.
Does this sauce taste like coconut?
Even though this sauce uses coconut cream I didn’t find that this keto butter chicken has a coconut taste. It tastes very authentic to me, savory, warm with hints of cinnamon but not coconutty.
What is coconut cream?
Coconut cream is the thick cream that rises to the top of a can of coconut milk when you refrigerate it. Coconut cream is also available as a product that you can buy at your local grocery store. I prefer using a brand like Aroy-D when making curries or dishes like butter chicken because the coconut cream never separates for me.
How do I make cauliflower rice?
Use a cheese grater, knife, or a food processor fitted with a grating attachment, grate or finely chop the cauliflower to resemble rice. Then saute the cauliflower rice in olive oil and season with salt until the riced cauliflower is softened. Check out this video for a visual demonstration.
What is garam masala?
Garam masala is a blend of spices that is used in Indian dishes. It often contains cinnamon, cumin, cardamom, and black pepper. It is easy to find in any major grocery store or online through Amazon. You can substitute curry powder for garam masala in this keto butter chicken dish. I do recommend trying it with the garam masala.
Can I use chicken thighs instead of chicken breast?
Yes, you can use chicken thighs instead of chicken breast in this recipe. I prefer it made with chicken breast. It will still taste great if you switch it.
I’m allergic to nuts. Is coconut a nut allergy?
If you are allergic to nuts it makes sense to wonder if you can eat anything made with coconuts. Coconut is not a botanical nut; it is classified as a fruit. If you are allergic to tree nuts, please talk to your allergist/doctor before adding coconut to your diet.
How long does keto butter chicken leftovers last?
You can keep butter chicken leftovers in your fridge for up to 4 days stored in an airtight container or keep them stored in your freezer for up to 3 months.As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.