This Coconut Curry Chicken recipe is perfect for a family dinner or a quick weeknight meal. It’s delicious, comforting, and easy to prepare using basic ingredients.
I love curry with either veggies and tofu, or with chicken and rice. It’s a versatile dish that can be made to fit any diet. This coconut curry chicken recipe is simple, made with spices, coconut milk, and chicken or tofu. It’s a great week night meal and can be served with steamed rice, noodles, or over vegetables.
If you’re new to curry then you’re in for a treat! I was in my late 20’s when I first tried thai curry and it was love at first bite! The mix between the earthy spices and coconut milk are perfectly balanced with each other to create great flavor that can be enjoyed with chicken breasts or a plant-based protein.
Key Ingredients in Coconut Curry Chicken:
- Curry Powder a delicious spice mix made up of turmeric, ginger, cumin and black pepper.
- Full Fat Coconut Milk adds a creamy texture to the sauce. You can also make your own coconut milk at home.
- Red or Green Curry Paste a thia style paste made with chills peppers, turmeric, ginger, cilantro and lemongrass.
- Fresh Ginger which ads a warm and spicy flavor to this dish.
- Protein either from boneless skinless chicken breasts, chicken thighs, or tofu for a vegan option.
How To Make Coconut Curry Chicken
In a large deep skillet, saute the onion and garlic until fragrant. Add in the ginger and cook for 1-2 minutes. Lower the heat to low and add in the yellow curry powder, red curry paste, and coriander. Stir often for 2-3 minutes.
Return the heat to medium-high heat and add in the red bell pepper and bite-sized chicken pieces. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
Cook for 4-5 minutes or until the chicken is brown on both sides but not fully cooked.
Pour in the coconut milk, lime juice, and coconut sugar. Then, stir until the chicken is cooked through and tender, and the coconut curry sauce has thickened.
Serve over jasmine or basmati rice, cauliflower rice, steamed potatoes, or noodles and garnish with fresh cilantro and lime wedges.
Coconut Curry Chicken FAQ
- Can I make this dish vegan? Yes! Leave out the chicken and instead add diced tofu or a vegetable medley. I like to use mushrooms, carrots and sweet potatoes in my vegan coconut curry!
- Can I use yellow or green curry paste? Yes, I really love the flavor or red curry paste but yellow and green curry paste both taste wonderful in this recipe.
- Can I use coconut cream instead of coconut milk? Absolutely, coconut cream is actually just the cream on top of coconut milk. Just dilute the coconut cream with water before adding it to the curry.
- Is there a good substitute for coconut sugar in this coconut curry chicken recipe? Yes, you can use brown sugar instead of coconut sugar.
Coconut Curry Chicken
This Coconut Curry Chicken recipe is perfect for a family dinner or a quick weeknight meal. It’s a delicious, comfort food made with wholesome ingredients!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Thia
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 3 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil, separated
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons yellow curry powder
- 3 tablespoons of red curry paste (I like thai kitchen. Alternatively, green curry paste can be used instead)
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes (or chicken thighs)
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce (optional)
- salt and pepper
- garnish with lime wedges and fresh cilantro or basil
- serve over rice or noodles
- Dice the onion and red bell pepper, mince the garlic and mince the ginger.
- Heat 2 tablespoons coconut oil in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute for 3-5 minutes or until the onions begin to turn golden. Add the garlic and ginger; stir to coat everything with the oil.
- Lower the heat to low and add the curry powder, red curry paste, and coriander. Stir often for 2-3 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant.
- Return the heat to medium-high. Add in the remaining one tablespoon coconut oil and the red bell pepper. Stir for 1-2 minutes, and then add the bite-sized chicken pieces.
- Sprinkle on salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook, often stirring, for about 4-5 minutes or until the chicken is browned on both sides but not cooked through.
- Pour in the coconut milk, lime juice, and coconut sugar. Stir until chicken is cooked through and curry is slightly thickened. If desired, stir in the fish sauce.
- Serve over rice or noodles. Garnish with fresh cilantro or basil and lime wedges.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 580
- Sodium: 120mg
- Saturated Fat: 20g
- Carbohydrates: 58g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 25g