This Keto Lemon Pie is made with a dairy-free lemon pie filling and a coconut flour crust. Every bite is filled with a burst of lemon flavor. The lemon pie filling is incredibly creamy. It’s another must-have pie recipe for your collection.
No starch is used to thicken the lemon pudding so you won’t have any added carbs. The pudding is made creamy with coconut cream and egg yolks. I have included easy step-by-step instructions on how to effortlessly make the homemade keto lemon pudding so it turns out perfect each time.
Before you make the keto lemon pie filling, I suggest you make the pie crust. I love using this Coconut Flour Pie Crust because it always turns out tender. For dessert recipes like this one I add 3 tbsp’s of sweetener to the pie crust.
Then make the filling by separating the egg yolks from the egg whites. I suggest saving the egg whites for making this coconut flour angel food cake.
Mix the coconut cream and lemon juice and heat up until just warm. We will temper the eggs with this.
Next, temper the egg yolks.
Then pour it all together and slowly cook until the filling is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Then pour the filling into the pie crust and refrigerate overnight. For this pie I found my pie filling wasn’t firm until the next morning. I highly suggest leaving it to rest overnight.
Keto Lemon Pie
This Keto Lemon Pie is made with a dairy-free lemon pie filling with a coconut flour crust. Every bite is filled with a burst of lemon flavor.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes + 1 day to set
- Total Time: 25 minutes + 24 Hours
- Yield: 1 9-inch pie 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
1 pie crust (I used my Coconut Flour Pie Crust and added 3 tbsp’s of erythritol and monk fruit blend)
Lemon Pie Filling:
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the egg yolks, sweetener, and salt.
- Pour the coconut cream and lemon juice into a medium sized saucepan. Over low heat, heat up the cream until just warm, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool until you can dip your finger into the cream without burning yourself.
- Next, temper the eggs by pouring ¼ cup of the warmed cream into the eggs and stirring at the same time. Add another ¼ cup of the cream to the eggs and stir as you are pouring.
- Pour all of the tempered eggs back into the saucepan with the rest of the warmed cream, stirring as you are pouring.
- Over low heat, heat up the cream mixture, using a whisk or a spatula stir continuously until the mixture thickens. This takes about 20 minutes. When the filling is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon you are done. You can also increase the temperature to a low medium heat to speed up the process. The filling will also firm up more as it cools.
- Once the filling is thick, remove the saucepan from the heat. Pour the filling into the pie shell.
- Using a spoon, smooth the pie filling so it is all level.
- Place saran wrap over the pie filling, making sure the saran wrap touches the filling. You want to avoid the pie filling creating a thick skin.
- Refrigerate overnight, or until the pie filling is cooled and firm like a pudding.
- Decorate with whipped topping. I covered the top in a layer of whipped topping and then decorated the edges.
- Serve immediately or cover until ready to serve.
Notes: See the FAQ for more tips on how to make the pie filling.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 366
- Fat: 32.8g
- Carbohydrates: 37.5g (6g Net Carbs)
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Protein: 5.8g
Keto Lemon Pie FAQ
How can I make this recipe egg-free?
I’m sorry, but I didn’t test an egg-free version. Maybe you could use coconut cream, heated with sweetener, lemon juice, salt, and a little gelatin.
How can I make sure the lemon pie filling will be firm?
You can guarantee your lemon pie filling will be firm by adding ¾ tsp gelatin when making the filling. Take the gelatin and bloom it in a little bit of water and then add it to the pie filling while making it. This way when the pie filling cools the gelatin will also help firm the pudding. I didn’t use this method when making this recipe but I have used it for other cream pies and it has worked great.
My pie filling didn’t firm up after 24 hours. What do I do?
You can pour the pie filling into a saucepan and reheat it on low heat and cook longer until the filling is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon or I suggest adding ¾ tsp of gelatin to the filling when heating it up. First bloom the gelatin and then add it to the heated pie filling.
How can I make this paleo-friendly?
You can easily make this keto lemon pie paleo-friendly by using your preferred sugar, like cane sugar, 1 for 1, instead of erythritol.
Can I use almond milk instead of coconut cream?
No, you cannot use almond milk 1:1 for this lemon pie filling. The pie filling relies on the creaminess of the coconut cream.
I’m allergic to nuts. Is coconut a nut allergy?
If you are allergic to nuts, it makes sense to wonder if you can eat anything made with coconuts. Coconut is not a botanical nut; it is classified as a fruit. If you are allergic to tree nuts, please talk to your allergist/doctor before adding coconut to your diet.
How do I store this pie?
This lemon pie must be kept in the fridge in an airtight container, or cover your pie plate with saran wrap and keep it in your fridge for up to 5 days. You can also cut it into slices and store in the freezer for up to 3 months and eat frozen or unthaw it.
How far ahead can I make this keto lemon pie for a party?
You can make this pie and decorate it 2 days ahead.As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.