I started my real food journey almost five years ago. My body was in need of a lot of healing at that time. I had eaten a very poor standard American diet full of processed foods for many years. When I began my journey I decided to become a vegan. I did well on my vegan diet. I lost 58 pounds, my skin cleared up and I felt healthy for the first time in my life.
Today I am no longer a vegan. I do still cook many of my favorite vegan dishes on a regular basis, though. One of my favorite vegan dishes is lentil soup. I would eat lentil soup almost every day when I first started my vegan diet.
I make this soup much more healthier than I use to. I use fresh ingredients (no cans) and I use sprouted lentils. Sprouting increases the nutrients of lentils and makes them easier to digest.
How To Sprout Lentils
Soak 2 cups of lentils in 4 cups of water. Allow lentils to soak for 6-8 hours (I usually do this overnight). Rinse the soaked lentils and place them in a jar. I like to use a sprouting lid on my jar. This makes sprouted a lot easier. Rinse the lentils every 6-8 hours. The lentils will begin to sprout during the first 24 hours of sprouting. Once lentils have sprouted you can keep them in the refrigerator to use in your recipes.
A Note About Broth
I prefer to use homemade broth because it is healthier and full of minerals. I highly recommend you use homemade chicken bone broth or mineral rich vegetable broth.
Spicy Sprouted Lentil Soup
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 6 1x
- 1 medium to large size pot
- food processor or blender
- sharp knife for cutting veggies
- 4 cups sprouted lentils
- 6 cups mineral rich vegetable broth (recipe coming soon!) or homemade bone broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 green chili or jalapeno pepper, chopped (add more or less according to your spicy preference)
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced or shredded
- shredded raw cheese or pepper jack cheese
- onions, chopped
- sour cream
- Pour broth, lentils and seasonings in a medium size pot.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until lentils are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove 2 cups of lentils and puree them in food processor or blender. Add lentil puree back to soup. Add diced carrots and bell pepper to soup.
- Continue to cook until veggies are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaves before serving.
- Top each bowl with your favorite toppings. Serve with Baked Coconut Oil Corn Tortilla Chips and a slice of lime.