Probiotic Apple Sauce

How to Make Probiotic Apple Sauce

This is my daughters new favorite snack! I’ve been trying to give her more fermented and cultured foods over the last few months. This apple sauce recipe along with full fat yogurt seem to be her favorites.

Probiotic Fermented Apple Sauce

(Makes 1 quart)

• 6 – 8 medium size organic apples
  • 2 tablespoons whey or water kefir
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon real sea salt (optional)

1. Core and slice apples.
  2. Process apples in food processor until it reaches desired consistency. Add whey, cinnamon and salt.
  3. Blend until smooth.
  4. Pour apple sauce into a clean quart size jar (or 2 pint size jars).
  5. Leave an inch of space from apple sauce to lid. If you don’t, you may have an explosion!
  6. Place in warm place for 3 days.
  7. Keep in refrigerator for up to 2 months.

• Krista November 30, 2010, 10:29 pm

Great idea! I do have a question. My daughter is sensitive to dairy, it makes her wheeze. Can I replace whey with water kefir when doing fermentation?

• Tiffany - The Coconut Mama December 1, 2010, 10:59 am

Krista- I believe you can. Let me know how it turns out!

• Brandon May December 1, 2010, 4:48 pm

I just “re-discovered” apple sauce this Thanksgiving, and this gives me a good excuse to make a version packed full of nutrition. So far I've made lacto-fermented ketchup. I love fermenting condiments, but never thought of this.

• Farmgirl Cyn December 1, 2010, 7:37 pm

Dang! Wish I'd have thought of this a few weeks ago when I had 2 bushels of apples! I have been on a fermenting binge, but had never thought of apples. Next year for sure!

• Aiming4Simple December 2, 2010, 9:10 pm

I have never lacto-fermented anything before. Do you think I could add cranberries to this?

• Nichol-Doula December 6, 2010, 9:16 am

I'm curious, do you have to puree the apples? We like our applesauce chunky. Do you cook the apples? My recipe is to peel and core the apple and slow cook them with just enough water to cover in the crock pot along with 2 cinnamon sticks and honey.
    How could I adapt that to use the fementation?

• Rosalyn December 6, 2010, 10:32 am

Actually you can use a little sea salt instead of whey. The “lacto” in lacto-fermentation refers not so much to the whey, but to the lactic acid that is produced by enzyme activity (which is why fermentation is good for you).

I use salt instead of whey in my fermentation and it works great.

• Tiffany - The Coconut Mama December 6, 2010, 10:46 am

@ Aiming4simple – Yes. I bet that would taste terrific!

• Tiffany - The Coconut Mama December 6, 2010, 10:48 am

@ Faedemere – You cane use your favorite recipe. Just add the whey at the end and leave it out to ferment for a few days.

• Tiffany - The Coconut Mama December 6, 2010, 10:50 am

@ Rosalyn – I tried this with salt and it turned out very salty. That is why I went with the whey. You can use whichever method you prefer =)

• totiemotie December 6, 2010, 12:10 pm

Do you peel your apples first or leave the peel on??

• Tiffany - The Coconut Mama December 6, 2010, 12:15 pm

@totiemotie – I left the peep on. I like easy =). You can peel yours if you prefer it that way.

• Wendy December 7, 2010, 3:50 pm

Oh thank you for this! I am VERY new to the cultured veggie thing and having a difficult time getting my 4 and 6 yy girls to try them…excited to try this! Keep them coming!

• Menueys December 17, 2010, 12:23 pm

Faedemere – I don't think you can cook them and then have them ferment; the lacto bacteria would be dead, right? Or did you mean adapt your recipe to fermentation w/o cooking? Also, not sure about honey w/ lacto ferments?! want to try this but I've only done cabbage and carrots, lol!

• Tiffany - The Coconut Mama December 17, 2010, 12:32 pm

@ Menueys – You can actually ferment cooked food. I ferment my beans and other cooked foods (recipes from Nourishing Traditions). I did wonder if the honey would be okay, so I did some research and looked at other recipes. There's an apple butter recipe in nourishing traditions that calls for raw honey that is fermented. You could omit the honey, or add it after you've fermented the apple sauce if you prefer.

I think this recipe is more beneficial raw, but it does not have to be raw.

• Krista January 5, 2011, 8:29 pm

Okay, I'm trying this recipe out now, substituting water kefir for the whey. I used about 1/2 cup of water kefir to 4 apples, since water kefir is more dilute than the dairy counterparts.

The question I have is I'm using a 1/2 gallon jar to ferment, and the jar is only half full. Is it important to have *only* 1 inch headspace, or is it okay to have a lot more than that?

I'm sure Nourishing Traditions answers this question, but I just requested it from my library and there's 17 people in front of me. Thanks!

• Tiffany - The Coconut Mama January 5, 2011, 8:48 pm

Krista – you just need at least an inch of space =)

• Krista January 5, 2011, 10:55 pm

Tiffany, thanks for the quick reply. It's so nice knowing there's this great community for those new to fermentation. Thanks a ton for all the help. I'll let you know how it turns out with the water kefir.

• anna April 29, 2011, 11:34 am

how did the water kefir work?

• Krista April 29, 2011, 1:28 pm

It worked okay, but the water kefir just keeps eating the natural sugars so it turns “off” pretty quickly in my experience.

• anna April 29, 2011, 6:11 pm

ah good to know then .. . .

• Anonymous May 11, 2011, 5:13 am

can this be done with cooked apples?

• Jennifer Linden December 15, 2013, 10:53 am

I’d like to know this one, too. I made applesauce and canned it this summer, but would LOVE to just pull some out and ferment it. Do you suppose it would work?

• peggy June 21, 2011, 10:24 am

i just made this using honey then fermenting i am wondering if it is supposed to turn brown on top?

• Tiffany - The Coconut Mama September 7, 2011, 8:55 am

@ Peggy – Yes, it can turn brown on top. You can scoop off the top layer if you prefer.

• Ruthann October 1, 2011, 5:10 pm

Can the fermented applesauce be put in the freezer? At what stage?

• KomBuChaCha October 12, 2011, 7:20 pm

Have you seen the ‘Apple Pie’ smoothie @ Cultures for Health? Combines applesauce w/ dairy kefir, bet your daughter would *love* it! (we sure do) Hubby has me add extra cinnamon, plus I add a frozen banana per person in the Vitamix when I whip it up… yum! http://tinyurl.com/3h4cs4j

• lydia October 23, 2011, 1:18 pm

Tiffany, I love you!! I have been wanting to do this very thing! I love the idea of using water kefir, how complimentary! Gonna try this soon!

• Jennifer @ How to Peel an Onion January 11, 2012, 4:20 am

I’m about to try this right now! Seems like just the thing to get my son into fermented foods. Thanks!

• Elizabeth January 21, 2012, 4:55 pm

The honey doesn’t counteract the bacteria in the fermentation process? This sounds great, but I thought honey was a “no-no”.

• The Coconut Mama January 22, 2012, 6:32 pm

The recipe for apple butter in Nourishing Traditions uses raw honey, so I assumed it would be okay in this recipe too! I haven’t had any trouble with it fermenting properly.

• Shaina January 25, 2012, 12:22 pm

We keep our thermostat at 60 during the winter, is this too cold for this to ferment? Should I put it in my dehydrator on a low setting? Thanks!

• The Coconut Mama January 25, 2012, 8:56 pm

Yes, I would put it in your dehydrator. The temperature needs to be 70-75 degrees :).

• Lisa in TX December 5, 2013, 11:58 am

Or put it in a closed oven with just the light turned on.

• Amy March 20, 2012, 3:46 pm

Help! I made the fermented apple sauce exactly as the recipe says but I’m not sure it worked. It tastes great. Just like apple sauce, not sure it fermented. The cover didn’t pop when I opened it, was it supposed to? As you might be able to tell this is the first time I’ve tried fermenting. Thank you for any help you can give me.

• A different Amy! December 21, 2013, 1:11 pm

How funny, this is the exact question I came on here to ask. I looked through the comments to see whether anyone had mentioned this, and sure enough, you did! Does anyone know the answer to this?

It tasted the exact same after sitting out for a few days as it did when I first pureed it. When I ferment other things, they taste completely different after fermenting.

Also, it never burped or popped when I opened it. The recipe warns to leave an inch of headspace to avoid an explosion. Does it mean I did something wrong since mine didn’t have that issue?

• Kera April 9, 2012, 4:01 pm

I love, love, LOVE this recipe! I make it in four quart batches at a time. (need to feed five kids) and when I let it sit out long enough it forms one mass, like apple yogurt :) Super yummy! Thanks for posting!

• Lynn December 5, 2013, 10:38 am

Do you use whey or water kefir? And where do you get yours? Thank you.

• MamaA July 31, 2012, 10:37 pm

Do you think you could make it in a vitamix instead? I don’t have a large food processor.

• The Coconut Mama August 4, 2012, 8:23 am

Yes, I think a vitamix would work great :)

• Liz November 24, 2013, 12:36 pm

I just used a vitamix and it worked great! I can’t wait to eat it in a few days.

• Erica M November 25, 2012, 10:15 am

I’ve just made applesauce and used a small amount of chai spiced Kombucha as the only addition and it is great. Next I,m going to make a larger quantity so I can lacto ferment some.

• Faith Gauthier May 10, 2013, 6:28 am

This looks wonderful for my little guy who is gluten free. Thanks for sharing.

• Aliyanna Mancuso August 10, 2013, 11:35 am

Was wondering how this would work with pumpkin or winter squash???

• Laura November 6, 2013, 4:57 pm

Do you think a ginger bug would work as a starter. I don’t keep water kefir because I usually forget about it for a while and it gets gross, but I can restart a ginger bug easily at any time.
    Thanks

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama November 6, 2013, 5:39 pm

I bet it will but i can’t say for sure because I haven’t tried it. Please let me know how it turns out if you try it. Thanks!

• Erin Lyons Harris December 6, 2013, 2:18 pm

Does the whey have to be raw? I buy liquid whey from a local dairy (they sell the whey left over from making cheese) but it’s pasteurized.

• Lesley Earl December 23, 2013, 8:47 am

I’ve already cooked and frozen my apple sauce can I thaw it and then ferment I’ll use whey. Also my oven light doesn’t work and isn’t easily accessible to replace bulb (Need a socket which I do not have) so would a heating pad on low work as a warming source?

• Summer March 18, 2014, 1:36 am

So I am up to day 2 and mine has fuzzy mould on top, is this normal? Is it ok to eat?

• Audrey April 1, 2014, 12:14 pm

I love this idea, and I have tons of apple sauce canned from last fall. Can I use cooked apple sauce for this recipe? There is no sugar in it. Thanks!
    Audrey

• Georgie April 2, 2014, 11:12 am

I’m so excited to try this – just finished making my whey. Is it freezable?

• Roberta April 3, 2014, 7:00 am

Can you use whey isolate instead of the whey, or whey protein hydrolysate?

• Kristine May 2, 2014, 5:59 am

I used whey (that I separated from my yogurt). The yogurt was pasteurized store bought organic. Will that work? Thanks!

• Amanda May 22, 2014, 7:37 pm

So I tried this… But I’m not sure it worked?? My jar lid seemed to have sealed when left for the three days? And it seems to taste really salty? Did I do something wrong?!

• Allison July 23, 2014, 8:42 am

The first batch I made was awesome! No issues. The second batch had fuzzy stuff on the top. Is this yeast or mold? Either way what do you know what caused this, and how I can prevent it? I did open the jar on a daily basis to let breath, is this where I went wrong? Can I just scrap it off or do I just throw it out?

• Cori August 18, 2014, 6:22 am

Couple of quick questions if anyone can answer this. I’ll have the air on and I keep the thermostat at 71/72, is this warm enough? I am wondering if I can just use the dehydrator but the lowest setting I have is 95 and for how long now? If I can make yogurt in the dehydrator surely I can do the applesauce but I can’t find any links on fermented apple sauce and dehydrators. I guess #2 will be answered about the fuzziness on top like some other people have mentioned. I don’t want to throw out a batch if this is something that can be scraped off or stirred back in.

• Rina September 17, 2014, 12:27 pm

Do I need to burp this as it ferments?