This is my daughters new favorite snack! I’ve been trying to give her more fermented and cultured foods over the last few months. This apple sauce recipe along with full fat yogurt seem to be her favorite (for now).
You may be wondering why I ferment my apple sauce. Fermented foods are incredible good for the digestive system. They help build up good bacteria in the gut! Sauerkraut is one of the more popular fermented foods but unfortunately my kids don’t like it much.
Fermented apple sauce is a wonderful way to get kids to eat healthy, gut building probiotics in the body!
Probiotic Fermented Apple Sauce
Core and slice apples.
Process apples in food processor until it reaches desired consistency. Add whey, cinnamon and salt.
Blend until smooth.
Pour apple sauce into a clean quart size jar (or 2 pint size jars).
Leave an inch of space from apple sauce to lid. If you don’t, you may have an explosion!
Place in warm place for 3 days.
Keep in refrigerator for up to 2 months.
- 6 - 8 medium size organic apples
- 2 tablespoons whey or water kefir
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
- Core and slice apples.
- Process apples in food processor until it reaches desired consistency. Add whey, cinnamon and salt.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour apple sauce into a clean quart size jar (or 2 pint size jars).
- Leave an inch of space from apple sauce to lid. If you don't, you may have an explosion!
- Place in warm place for 3 days.
- Keep in refrigerator for up to 2 months.
Coconut Oil Giveaway
Enter for a chance to win a free bottle of virgin coconut oil!
Plant-based and delicious, coconut oil has become more and more popular in recent years. Studies point to its many beneficial properties which include boosting the immune system, decreasing inflammation, fighting heart disease, and more. I use coconut oil in almost all my recipes and I want you to have the chance to experience this incredible oil for yourself. Follow the directions on the widget below to enter for a chance to win a bottle of Tropical Traditions Virgin Coconut Oil. I'll be drawing a new winner every month so keep entering! No purchase necessary to win.