How to Make Lavender Extract

How To Make Lavender Extract

This article is written by from Katja of Savory Lotus! Please head over to Savory Lotus and check out Katja’s delicious recipes and don’t forget to follow Savory Lotus on facebook!

I love to garden.  I especially love to grow flowers.  I love that their main purpose is to just be beautiful.  A couple of years ago, I planted several lavender plants in my garden in hopes of creating a wall of lavender.  This year, I am swimming in lavender.  Did you know that lavender has other uses besides looking and smelling amazing?  I like to use it in my baking to add a subtle floral touch.  For me, it evokes a feeling of old-fashioned love.

How To Make Lavender Extract

Making lavender extract to use in the kitchen is simple.  All you need is  alcohol and some lavender flowers.  I generally use vodka for my homemade extracts as it has the most neutral flavor.  I go for the mid-grade kind, not too cheap and not the expensive stuff.I harvest my own lavender flowers from the garden and dry them by hanging them in a warm place out of the sun.  I find that using dry herbs for extracts reduces spoiling issues as dried herbs do not have any water content.  If you decide to purchase lavender flowers, I recommend getting organic lavender (like this) to avoid any harmful sprays/chemicals that may be used in commercial flower growing.

I use glass jars when making extracts to avoid harmful plastics leaching into my edibles.  I often use recycles glass jars or wide mouth mason jars (like this).

I generally let my lavender extract sit for about a month, but it can be used after about 2 weeks.  As with all extracts, the longer you let it steep, the stronger it will be.

BTW, Lavender extract makes a great gift.  I use small amber glass bottles like THESE to store it in as gifts.  Just be sure to give yourself enough time to let the lavender steep before you want to give it away.

How To Make Lavender Extract

What to do with Lavender Extract?

Once you have your amazing extract made, there are so many wonderful uses for it.

I use it for:

• cookies (Lavender Shortbread cookies)
  • adult cocktails (think Lavender Lemon Drop or Lavender Margarita)
  • lavender whipped cream (great with real cream or coconut cream)
  • ice cream
  • cheesecake
  • chocolates (OMG… have you tried a Lavender Chocolate Truffle?)
  • And of course, gifts (a homemade gift is always appreciated)

How to Make Lavender Extract

What you will need:

• A glass jar with cap
  • 2 cups vodka
  • 1/2 cup organic lavender flowers, dried (like this)

Direction:

1. Place lavender flowers into glass jar.

2. Pour vodka over flower and place cap securely on.

3. Give a little shake and place out of direct sunlight.

4. Let sit for at least 2 weeks, giving it a little shake once in a while.

5. Strain through a sieve, gently pressing flowers to extract all the goodness.  You can strain again through a sieve lined with an unbleached coffee filter if you want.

6. Place in a clean glass container with a tight cap.  Keep out of direct sunlight.

• Tam@spinstersnacks.com September 5, 2013, 7:31 am

Have you done this with any other flowers?

• Angela James September 5, 2013, 8:28 am

How would you make Lavender oil..not for baking but for baths and such…would you do the same thing as far as dying them out and then adding them to organic oil instead of alcohol?

• Andrea Mérida September 8, 2013, 5:20 pm

You could steep some dried lavender in an oil of your choice, like probably olive oil or fractionated coconut oil, but lavender essential oil is a pretty involved thing that requires a steaming apparatus and a TON of lavender flowers.

• Mistie September 25, 2013, 12:09 am

That would be a lavender (or any other herb) infused oil, great for cooking. And yes, you are right, it takes equipment and a lot of flowers to get pure essential oils.

• Josephine September 6, 2013, 10:03 am

If your using it to store it or to give away as a present does it have to be in an amber jar or botle or can it be in a clear one???

• Patricia May 18, 2014, 10:01 am

Amber bottles help stop light from breaking down the contents. If it’s kept in a dark place it should be fine if in a clear bottle. I use clear bottles.

• Holly September 7, 2013, 5:16 pm

What brand of vodka do you buy? Is any old vodka ok or is there somewhere to buy organic? I don’t know much about alcohol, but I think I read that many times it contains GMOs from the corn it is distilled with.

• M4 September 8, 2013, 6:46 pm

there are brands of vodka that are not made with corn. i have a kid with a corn allergy, so i’ve had to research. you’ll have to go to a real liquor store to get the brands as they are obscure ones you’ve probably never heard of before. google “corn free vodka” and you’ll get the complete list.

• Holly September 12, 2013, 2:09 pm

thanks!

• Butter Nutrition September 17, 2013, 9:20 am

Trying this today! What a great idea :)

• Stacy Wainwright Stechman December 6, 2013, 8:22 pm

Would this work with ground lavender? I dried our lavender and we ground it up with a coffee grinder.

• agence April 17, 2014, 4:42 pm

Hey there I am so happy I found your website, I really
    found you by accident, while I was searching on Digg for something else,
    Anyways I am here now and would just like to say cheers for
    a tremendous post and a all round enjoyable blog (I
    also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to go through
    it all at the minute but I have bookmarked it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a
    great deal more, Please do keep up the superb work.