Learn how to make natural homemade toothpaste with simple ingredients you have in your kitchen! This easy DIY uses natural ingredients and is perfect for anyone looking to move away from using commercial toothpaste.
Whether you’re looking for ways to save money or wanting to switch to natural products, coconut oil is an ingredient you want to have on hand for making homemade personal care products. It’s the main component in my homemade deodorant, face wash, hair mask, sugar scrubs and homemade body butter.
Coconut oil is so verist, there are literarily hundreds of uses for it! If you’re wanting to make your own toothpaste, one of the active ingredients you will use is coconut oil. That’s because coconut oil has natural antibacterial properties that help prevent tooth decay, fight cavity-causing bacteria and bad breath.
How To Make Homemade Toothpaste
For this recipe you will need baking soda, sea salt, essential oils, coconut oil and arrowroot powder.
Start by mixing the baking soda and sea salt tighter. Then add the coconut oil and essential oils. If you’d like a thicker consistency toothpaste, add in the arrowroot powder and mix well.
Pour the homemade toothpaste into a squeeze container or store in a small jar. I suggest using a squeeze tube instead of a jar to help prevent contaminating the toothpaste with bacteria. This homemade toothpaste has a shelf life of 6 months.
Store the toothpaste at room temperature. To use, add a small amount of the toothpaste to a toothbrush and gently scrub the surface of your teeth until clean.
- Which essential oils are best for this homemade toothpaste? I use peppermint oil, spearmint oil, tea tree oil, and cinnamon essential oil in my homemade toothpastes. You may use whichever essential oil you like best, or leave it out completely.
- Is this toothpaste safe for sensitive teeth? Yes, if you have tooth sensitivity this toothpaste is safe for using. Double check with your dentist if you’d like a second opinion.
- Can I use MTC oil instead of solid coconut oil? Yes, you can use liquid coconut oil but the consistency will be thinner than typical toothpaste. You may want to add additional baking soda or arrowroot powder to thicken the toothpaste.
Switching To Natural Toothpaste
Homemade toothpaste has a different taste and texture than store-bought toothpastes and may take some time to get used to. I’ve been making my own homemade toothpaste for years and have grown accustom to it. But if you don’t enjoy using DIY toothpaste, there are safe brands of conventional toothpaste available to purchase that a free from harmful ingredients. Below is a list of my favorite toothpaste brands:
- My Magic Mud Charcoal Toothpaste
- Wellnesse Toothpaste (the strawberry flavor is my kids favorite)
- Earthpaste (this is a bentonite clay based toothpaste)
- NOW Coconut Oil Toothpaste
More Homemade Toothpaste Recipes:Print
Homemade Toothpaste Recipe
Learn how to make natural toothpaste with non-toxic ingredients you can find in your kitchen! This coconut oil toothpaste uses coconut oil, which has natural antibacterial properties and keeps your teeth clean and white!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 tube 1x
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3–5 drops essential oils (I used peppermint and spearmint oil)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder (optional)
Mix all the toothpaste ingredients together in a small bowl. Mix well to incorporate all the essential oils. If you would like a thicker consistency toothpaste, add the arrowroot powder and mix well. Sure the baking soda toothpaste in an air-tight container glass container, or scoop into a convenient squeeze tube.
- Serving Size: 1 teaspoon
- Calories: 5