This dairy free chocolate coconut milk ice cream is made with coconut cream, cocoa powder, vanilla and pure maple syrup. You’ll love how easy it is to make!
Ice cream is one of those treats I eat all year long. It doesn’t matter how cold it is outside, it always sounds good to me!
My daughter and I both have issues with dairy, so we go for the coconut and almond milk varieties of ice cream. I’ve been buying my dairy free ice cream for years from Coconut Bliss (my favorite dairy free ice cream company). We took a look on the ingredient label of the ice cream and realized I could probably make it at home for a fraction of the price.
If you are using Pinterest, please feel free to use the following photo:
I decided to use coconut cream as my base and added cocoa powder, erythritol (maple syrup works too!), vanilla, and chocolate chips.
The end result was a decadent chocolate ice cream with a slight coconut taste! I say was because it’s long gone now….
Note to self, make more ice cream.
Don’t worry if you don’t have an ice cream maker. We tested this recipe with the “freeze and stir method” and it tasted the same as the ice cream machine.
If you love ice cream, chocolate and coconut, give this recipe a try and let me know what you think! If you post a picture of your ice cream on instagram make sure to tag @thecoconutmama on Instagram and hashtag it #thecoconutmama so I can check it out!
How to make chocolate coconut milk ice cream
Start by gathering your ingredients. You’ll need:
- 32 ounces of coconut cream. (Yes, it’s a lot. Yes, you’ll eat every bit of it!)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (surprisingly easy to DIY vanilla extract)
- Sugar-free chocolate chips (optional, but highly recommended)
From there, it’s super easy. Just:
- Mix the ingredients together with a hand mixer or a whisk…
- Then pour the mixture into the ice cream maker, and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
If you don’t have an ice cream maker, don’t worry! Pour the ice cream mixture into a stainless steel baking dish, and freeze it for about 45 minutes. Once the edges are starting to freeze, take it out and stir vigorously with a spatula. Then return to the freezer and repeat every 30 minutes for 2-3 hours, or until the mixture has fully frozen.
You may also like:Print
Chocolate Coconut Milk Ice Cream
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 quart 1x
- 32 ounces Coconut Cream
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup or 1/4 Cup Erythritol
- 2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Sugar Free Chocolate Chips (Optional)
- Mix the ingredients together with a hand mixer or whisk. Stir well then pour the mixture into the ice cream maker. Follow manufactures instructions to make your ice cream.
- If you don’t have an ice cream maker you can pour the mixture into a deep stainless steel baking dish and freeze for 45 minutes. As it begins to freeze near the edges, remove it from the freezer and stir vigorously with a spatula. Return to the freezer. Continue to check the mixture every 30 minutes, stirring vigorously as it’s freezing. If you have a hand held mixer or blender, use one of those. Repeat this process for 2 to 3 hours, or until frozen.