Enjoy this refreshing coconut margarita made with simple ingredients like cream of coconut, lime juice, tequila and triple sec!
Margaritas are a popular alcoholic beverage made with fresh lime juice, tequila, Cointreau (or triple sec) and salt. This classic cocktail is famous for its smooth and citrus flavor. Coconut margarita is a flavored margarita sweetened with sweetened coconut milk and ads a tropical flavor to the margarita!
I am still seeing hot days where I live and iced cold beverages have been calling my name! I enjoy margaritas every now and then and recently have been making them at home from scratch! Since I have a batch of homemade cream of coconut on hand, I’ve been using it up to make this coconut margarita recipe. This coconut lime beverage is the perfect cocktail to drink at the end of a hot day! I love the creamy texture of coconut cocktails and this one hits the spot!
Coconut Margarita Recipe
For this cocktail recipe you will need 3 ounces of cream of coconut, 2 ounces of tequila, 1 ounce of triple sec, fresh limes and ice. If you have a cocktail shaker that’ll come in handy, but it’s not necessary.
First step is to prepare the garnishes for your margarita. I like to dip the edges of my drink in toasted coconut. To make toasted coconut simple follow the instructions here. It’s really simple to make and will only take a few minutes. Next, spread the toasted coconut over a small plate. Dip the rims of your glasses in raw honey, agave syrup, or fresh lime juice. Then dip the glasses into the toasted coconut. This will coat the rim of the glass and will add an extra coconut flavor to your coconut margarita cocktail.
Then, pour the cream of coconut, tequila, triple sec, lime juice and ice into a cocktail shaker or large mason jar. Shake to mix the cocktail together and pour the coconut mixture into the prepared glasses. Top with ice and serve immediately.
About The Ingredients:
You may or may not be familiar with the ingredients in this coconut margarita recipe, so below I’ll go over each ingredient and where to buy them.
Cream of Coconut: Not to be confused with coconut milk, coconut cream, or creamed coconut. This ingredient is a sweetened coconut milk made with a simple syrup. You can make your own cream of coconut or purchase it from your local grocery store. The most popular brands of cream of coconut is Coco Lopez and Coco Real.
Tequila: This one probably doesn’t need a lot of explaining. There are a ton of different tequila brands available on the market, I like Patron but feel free to use your favorite brand.
Triple Sec: Is an orange liqueur that adds a beautiful orange-citrus flavor to margaritas.
Fresh Lime Juice: Don’t skimp on this one. Bottled lime juice won’t cut it in my opinion. Freshly squeezed lime juice is superior in flavor and makes the best margarita recipes.
Coconut Margarita FAQ
- How do I make cream of coconut? Simple heat a saucepan over medium heat and warm up one can of unsweetened coconut milk, with 3/4 cup of sugar and a pinch of salt. Simmer until the sugar dissolves and the mixture thickens. Follow the full instructions here to learn how to make cream of coconut at home.
- Can I use coconut milk or coconut cream instead of cream of coconut? No, coconut milk and coconut cream aren’t sweetened and aren’t the correct consistency to make this coconut lime margarita. Learn more about the difference between coconut cream vs coconut milk here.
- How do I make a pina colada margarita? Follow the instructions in the recipe card below, but include one once of pineapple juice. This will make a coconut pineapple margarita aka piña colada margarita!
Coconut Margarita Recipe
Love tropical cocktails? Then give this coconut margarita recipe a try. It’s a nice change up from the classic margarita recipe and is perfect for when you’re going for a tropical vibe! Enjoy this cocktail at happy hour (or your favorite hour), on cinco de mayo, or whenever you’re dreaming of the beach!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 5-10 minutes
- Yield: 1 drink 1x
- Category: Cocktails
- Method: Cocktail Shaker
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 3 ounces cream of coconut (note: not coconut milk or coconut cream)
- 2 ounces tequila
- 1 ounce triple sec
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice, about 1 lime
- Optional: Toasted coconut, and additional lime wedge for garnish
- Prepare the garnishes for your margarita. I like to dip the edges of my drink in toasted coconut.
- Spread the toasted coconut over a small plate. Dip the rims of your glasses in raw honey, agave syrup, or fresh lime juice. Then dip the glasses into the toasted coconut. This will coat the rim of the glass and will add an extra coconut flavor to your cocktail.
- Next, pour the cream of coconut, tequila, triple sec, lime juice and ice into a cocktail shaker or large glass jar and shake to mix the cocktail together.
- Lastly, pour the coconut-lime margaritas into the prepared glasses with the toasted coconut rim. Top with ice and serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1 drink
- Calories: 595
- Sugar: 66g
- Fat: 14g
- Carbohydrates: 71g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 1g
Leave a Comment