This homemade german chocolate ice cream has all the flavors of German Chocolate Cake but in ice cream form! This recipe is paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar free, and vegan.
I love german chocolate cake. Its deep chocolate flavor mixed with coconut, it’s one of my favorite cakes!
I’ve been on an ice cream bing lately, and I decided to create german chocolate ice cream made with coconut milk.
The ice cream turned out so yummy. If you love chocolate and coconut, give this ice cream recipe a try!
How To Make German Chocolate Ice Cream
For this recipe, you’ll need one quart of full-fat coconut milk (approximately 32 ounces), 1/2 cup raw honey, 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract, and 1/4 cup desiccated coconut + more shredded coconut for topping.
Mix all ingredients in a bowl until well-combined and pour into an ice cream maker.
Freeze according to the ice cream maker’s manufacturer’s instructions. Set out for at three to five minutes before serving. Once the ice creams softened, it will scoop out effortlessly.
German Chocolate Ice Cream FAQ
Can I make this without an ice cream maker? Yes! Please follow the steps in my basic coconut milk ice cream instead of using an ice cream maker.
Homemade ice cream can be tough to scoop out. Is there a way to make it softer? Yes, leaving the ice cream out for a few minutes will help with the ice cream softening. Also, you could add egg yolks (2-3) or one tablespoon of vodka to the ice cream mixture, which will help soften the ice cream.
If you like this recipe, please try out my other coconut-based cool treats like:Print
Dairy Free German Chocolate Ice Cream
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Ice Cream
- Cuisine: Dessert
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 quart full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- extra shredded unsweetened coconut for topping (optional)
- Mix all ingredients together until well-combined and pour into an ice cream maker.
- Freeze according to ice cream maker’s manufacturer’s instructions.
- Top with shredded coconut before serving.
If you don’t have an ice cream maker, use these instructions:
- In a large bowl stir together the ingredients until fully combined.
- Pour the mixture into ice cube trays, place in the freezer.
- Blend the frozen coconut mixture cubes in a food processor or a high-speed blender.
- Transfer to a parchment-lined freezer-safe container and cover loosely with plastic wrap.
- For a soft serve, serve right away. If you want a firmer texture, freeze for a few hours.
- Set out of the freezer for at least 7 minutes before scooping.
- Serving Size: 1 scoop (1/4 recipe)
This recipe was originally published on February 18th, 2013 and was updated with new photographs and instructions on August 20th, 2021.As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.