This honey chicken is made with paleo and whole30 friendly ingredients! This dish is a healthier version of the takeout dish and is gluten-free.
If you’ve ever had Chinese takeout honey chicken, you’ll know it’s super delicious! It’s crispy chicken covered with a sweet soy-honey sauce. This homemade version skips the breading and deep frying and makes for a great busy weeknight meal for the whole family!
This paleo honey chicken is delicious on it’s own, but I like to serve it with cauliflower rice and vegetables. I usually double the recipe and save leftovers for quick and healthy lunches during the workweek.
How To Make Paleo Honey Chicken
For this recipe you will need boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, olive or coconut oil, garlic, honey, coconut aminos, apple cider vinegar, and ghee.
Pour the olive oil into a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat on the stovetop.
Add the cut up checked and season with salt and pepper. Sauté the chicken until it’s cooked through and remove any excess oil.
In a small bowl, whisk the garlic powder, honey, coconut aminos, apple cider vinegar, and melted ghee together. Pour the honey mixture over the chicken and reduce to medium heat.
Sauté the chicken in the sauce until the sauce has thickened. Garnish with green onions, sesame seeds, red pepper flakes, or parsley. Serve immediately with your favorite sides. Store leftover honey chicken in an airtight container.
- Is this recipe keto-friendly? Unfortunately, honey is not a keto approved sweetener. If you swap the honey with sugar-free honey, then this recipe will be low carb and keto approved.
- Does the dish have a strong honey flavor? No, the chicken has a light honey flavor with a tangy garlic soy tones.
- I’d like to spice up this recipe. How would you recommend I do that? You can add some heat to this recipe by adding chili pepper or saracha sauce to the sauce. I would start with a teaspoon and add more until you reach your spice preference.
- What side dishes to you serve this with? As I mentioned earlier, cauliflower rice and veggies are my favorites to serve with this dish. Other options would be white rice, brown rice, green beans, or sautéed veggies.
More Chicken Recipes:Print
Paleo Honey Chicken
This easy recipe for paleo honey chicken is a family favorite! Tasty dark meat covered with a sweet honey sauce and served with your favorite paleo side dishes.This recipe is gluten-free and whole30 compliant.
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (or rice vinegar)
- 6 tablespoons ghee, melted
- Place the oil in a skillet over medium high heat on the stove top.
- Add the chicken to the skillet, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Saute until the chicken is cooked through, and remove any excess oil.
- In a bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients.
- Pour the sauce mixture over the chicken, and reduce the heat to medium.
- Saute until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve immediately.