Do you need to magnesium supplements? Half of all Americans are deficient in magnesium. Here’s how to tell if you are, and how to fix it naturally.
Magnesium is an essential mineral for your body’s main function. But according to The Magnesium Miracle, most Americans only consume half of how much total magnesium the need in a day.
What does this mean? It means a lot of us are walking around not getting nearly enough magnesium. As a group, Americans are chronically magnesium deficient.
What Does Magnesium Deficiency Look Like?
- Anxiety – Magnesium isn’t called Nature’s Chill Pill for nothing. Maintaining regular levels of magnesium can actively help lower personal stress levels.
- Migraines – Studies have shown that taking certain doses of magnesium can lead to relief in for people who suffer migraine headaches regularly. Migraine patients are also more likely to be deficient in magnesium overall.
- Pre-Menstrual Syndrome – Feel cranky around your period? Do you experience pain around that time? Magnesium is here to help balance you out. You need it, too—that time of the month can sap your magnesium much like a time of major life stress. It’s more important than ever to keep up your body’s of healthy minerals.
- Insomnia – The data is in: Magnesium actively helps people with sleep problems actively get more sleep. Not just more sleep, but better sleep than you would have without taking it. You can’t go wrong with magnesium!
- Panic Attacks – It’s the return of the Chill Pill! Stress (and working through stressful times in life) can actively eat into the body’s magnesium reserves, which can enhance the effects of magnesium deprivation. Magnesium is also highly important in maintaining steady blood sugar levels, which may lesson the intensity of panic attacks.
- Constipation – Magnesium aids greatly in the functioning of the digestive system, helping the processes that push food into the stomach and on to the later parts of the process. It can be hard for the entire system to function correctly without this key ingredient!
Now, there are several more severe symptoms of magnesium deficiency. They include IBS, fibromyalgia and heart attacks. Scary stuff! If any of the symptoms listed above pertain to you, it’s best to address the deficiency as soon as possible to prevent further damage from occurring.
My Favorite Magnesium Supplements
If you find out that you’re deficient in magnesium, don’t panic! There are many different ways to treat magnesium deficiency, all with varying strengths. Taking magnesium transdermally (topically) is one of the best ways to get this mineral into your body. These are a few different transdermal magnesium supplements:
- Magnesium oil supply 560 mg per teaspoon. I mix a drop or two of my favorite essential oils with magnesium oil and rub it on my tummy.
- Magnesium gel supply 490 mg per teaspoon. I like to keep my magnesium gel in the refrigerator. I apply the cool gel onto sore muscles after workouts.
- Magnesium lotion supply 185 mg per teaspoon.
- Magnesium bath flakes supply 1500 mg per cup. Great to add to detox baths!
Don’t forget to check your diet!
- Leafy greens
- Cocoa (the natural stuff!)
- Wheat germ
- Whole grains
This is just a short list, featuring just some of all the foods that can help supplements your daily intake of magnesium.
There are also many good magnesium supplements, such as Natural Calm. But however you choose to take in magnesium, it’s very important that you do. Your body depends on it for well-being and general balance.
How do you get your magnesium every day? What’s your favorite way to consume magnesium? Tell me in the comments!
All post and information provided within this blog is for informational and educational purposes only, and is not to be construed as medical advice or instruction. No action should be taken solely on the contents of this website. Please consult your physician or a qualified health professional on any matters regarding your health and well-being or on any opinions expressed within this website.
Wicked Good Ketogenic CookbookLearn all about how to eat to force your body to burn fat. This book is jam packed with 156 delicious fat-shredding recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel! This book includes:
- A step-by-step Introduction to the Keto Diet
- Tips on controlling your food costs while you “upgrade” to the ketogenic diet.
- Over 70 recipes including easy breakfasts and snacks
- A simple 4-week meal plan! It can be hard to adopt a new way of eating, but this simple 4-week meal plan makes it easy to shop and plan your meals. With this plan, you’ll be eating and loving the Keto Diet in no time!