Learn how to make sugar scrub cubes with natural ingredients that will leave you dry skin feeling soft and nourished! Made with plant-based botanicals, these mini body scrub cubes are perfect for all skin types and also make a great DIY gift.
I love to make my own sugar scrubs and body care products. My sugar scrub recipe is one of the most popular DIY’s I’ve published and is such an easy exfoliating scrub to use at home. This new recipe for sugar scrub cubes are similar to my basic sugar scrub, except they include a soap base that cleanses the skin.
How To Make Sugar Scrub Cubes
For this recipe you will need coconut oil, shredded soap, sugar, and essential oils.
About The Ingredients:
- Coconut Oil: Coconut oil is a plant-based carrier oil that solidifies at 72 degrees. Other oils like shea butter and mango butter may be used in place of coconut oil in this recipe. I suggest avoiding liquid oils like jojoba oil, olive oil, avocado oil and almond oil, in this recipe. Here’s a more in-depth explainer on how to find the best coconut oil.
- Unscented Soap Bar: I used a hemp based bar soap. You may use any natural soap like coconut oil soap or goat’s milk soap in this recipe.
- Sugar: Gently exfoliates the skin and removes dead skin cells. Use regular white sugar or brown sugar to make these solid sugar scrubs.
- Essential Oils: Add your favorite essential oils to scent these cubes to your liking. I used vanilla oleoresin, but other plant extracts like coffee essential oil or citrus oils like grapefruit or lemon essential oil are wonderful too! I avoid the use of fragrance oil and only use natural essential oils.
- Sparkles: You may add mica powder to the soap mixture to add hints of sparkle or a shimmer to these sugar scrub cubes. This is an optional ingredient.
To get started, you will melt the oil and shredded bar soap together in a double boiler or in a microwave safe bowl. Once melted, add in the essential oils and sugar. Mix vigorously and scoop the sugar scrub into cube shaped silicone molds. Allow the scrubs to set for one hour before removing from the molds.
Store the sugar scrub cubes in a jar or container at room temperature.
How To Use Sugar Scrub Cubes: Use a cube with warm water to scrub and exfoliate the skin in a circular motion.
I used Dr. Bronner’s natural soap bar to make these sugar scrub cubes.
Any mold will work, but I like to use smaller molds so each cube is perfect for one use. These are the star molds I used for this recipe (they come in a set with other shapes).
No, not all soaps melt properly. I use natural bar soaps or a melt and pour soap base.
More Homemade Sugar Scrubs:Print
DIY Sugar Scrub Cubes
These homemade solid sugar scrub cubes are made with natural oils, a pour soap base, coconut oil, brown sugar and essential oils. These make for a wonderful handmade gift to anyone who loves natural skincare products.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes + setting time
- Yield: 16 ounces 1x
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup unscented soap bar, shredded
- 1 cup organic cane sugar or brown sugar (I used brown sugar)
- 10–20 drops of essential oils
- Pour the melted coconut oil into a bowl. Add in the shredded soap to the oil mixture. Microwave the bowl for 30-60 seconds, checking every 20 seconds and stirring the oil and soap. Alternatively, you may melt the oil and soap in a double boiler.
- Once melted, remove from the heat and add in the essential oils and sugar. Mix well and quickly scoop the sugar scrub mixture into a silicone mold or ice cube tray.
- Set the molds in a cool dry place and let them set for 1 hour. If you place the molds in a refrigerator or freezer, the sugar cubes cubes will set quicker. Once the scrubs are set, pop them out and store them in an airtight container or mason jar.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 1