Coconut Flour Pie Crust

Coconut Flour Pie Crust

This is a relatively easy pie crust recipe. I had dinner guests this weekend, one of which is currently gluten-free. As you know, I do a lot of gluten/grain free cooking in my home, so this wasn’t a difficult task. When it came to dessert, I wanted to make something that would taste scrumptious enough that even my “picky” guests would enjoy. I made a triple layer caramel cheesecake with a coconut flour crust. Needless to say, it hit the spot and was enjoyed by all (including The Coconut Baby). If you use this crust for a dessert, add the raw honey or other natural sweetener to taste. If you use it for a savory dish (like Quiche Lorraine) omit the sweetener all together.

Coconut Flour Pie Crust

Coconut Flour Pie Crust

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl beat butter, eggs, honey and salt together with a fork.
  2. Then add coconut flour. Stir until dough holds together.
  3. Gather the dough into a ball, then pat into a 9″ greased  pie pan.
  4. Prick the dough with a fork.
  5. Bake for 9 minutes. Let cool.

Snacker-Bottom

• Liz, Holistic Health Counselor January 25, 2011, 5:47 pm

This sounds delicious! It would be a fabulous recipe for those with hyopthyroidism or Hashimoto's, like the clients I health counsel. I will definitely link this recipe to them! Do you think coconut oil would work in place of the butter if someone is intolerant?

Thanks!

• Katie June 1, 2014, 6:23 am

Hey there! What kind of fillings can be used with this? As in, is it only good for no-bake fillings, or is it okay with a second baking if I wanted to do something like rhubarb?

• Hannah July 22, 2014, 6:41 am

Actually, I would use homemade applesauce instead of the butter (if your clients can have cooked apples). I find that if you use the same amount of applesauce as butter, the recipe turns out pretty much the same. The applesauce should not have anything besides apples and a little water (NO sweetener!)

Hope this helps!

• EmptyNester January 25, 2011, 7:00 pm

You may have already covered this somewhere, but how are you recipes with coconut oil, etc. work for someone with type 2 diabetes?

• Mommy Set Free January 25, 2011, 11:11 pm

Can I just grind my shredded coconut to make coconut flour?

• Cynthia April 13, 2014, 2:49 pm

Shredded coconut still has a lot of the fat whereas the flour usually has far less. So grinding coconut will give you a different moisture level than using flour which is drier.

• pie recipes January 26, 2011, 4:13 am

I never heard of a coconut flour before, hmmm, pretty interesting. I wonder where can I get that? For sure our grocery store don't have that, I would have notice for sure if they do. Anyway, I better ask Granny about that. I love making pies (all sort actually, from meat pies to sweet pies, lol!) and I always see to it that I make my pastries from scratch. :)

• Tiffany - The Coconut Mama January 27, 2011, 9:59 am

@ Liz- I think it might work, though I haven't tried it myself. I've successfully switched coconut oil for butter in other coconut flour recipes, so I assume it would work here :).

@ Empty Nester- Coconut oil/flour and even palm/coconut sugar are all very safe foods for people with diabetes. Coconut flour is low carb and very low in sugar. I believe this recipe only has 9 carb in the whole crust (without the honey of course).

@ Mommy- I've tried before and it didn't work very well. Coconut flour has NO fat, while shredded coconut does contain some fat.

@Pie Recipes- you can buy it online or at most health food stores.

• smilesfromstilacoom August 7, 2011, 5:10 pm

What kind of oil and how much would you substitute for the butter? grape seed oil?

• Tiffany - The Coconut Mama August 8, 2011, 7:49 am

Coconut oil would be best. I tend to stay away from grape seed oil, as it is really high in the polyunsaturated fats.

• Anonymous August 17, 2011, 10:49 am

Thank you for this recipe. I made a pot pie with your crust and it was delicious!

• urskincareconsultant August 17, 2011, 7:45 pm

I tried this crust and it burned before the pie cooked. Is there a trick? I used a glass pie plate and butter instead of oil. I am new to working with coconut flour and I am finding it difficult to work with. Do you find that the oil works better? Thank you for your recipes. I greatly appreciate the help.

• Anonymous December 6, 2013, 5:27 am

When using glass baking dishes it is recommended to reduce the temperature 25 degrees.

• Tiffany - The Coconut Mama August 17, 2011, 7:53 pm

Anonymous- I'm glad this recipe worked out for your pot pie!

Urskin – hmmm not sur about that. I haven't had mine burn yet…maybe if you baked it at a lower heat it would bake better. Sorry I'm not more help =/

• organic meat winnipg September 16, 2011, 7:02 am

Look's really yummy I never tried coconut flour myself. I don't personally eat any grains but I am curios about it. Does it taste good?

• Tiffany - The Coconut Mama September 16, 2011, 7:14 am

I think it does ;)

If you try to make this recipe, please come back and tell me if you enjoyed it!

• nsmiami September 24, 2011, 7:43 pm

Was happy to find ths recipe. I was running low on almond flour and was looking to make a quiche with all those too little for a side dish too much to throw out veggies in the fridge. I omitted sweetener and added green onions (inspired by the recipe for Savory Pie Crust in The Gluten-free Almond Flour Cookbook by Elana Amsterdam). It baked beautifully. Quiche came out amazing.

• Christine November 7, 2011, 5:02 pm

I am so thrilled about finding this recipe! Tried it for a paleo coconut cream pie this last weekend; it is PERFECT and still holding up well under three inches of filling. I plan on trying it for fruit pies later to see how it does with all that extra juiciness. I could never keep my wheat crusts from getting soggy or chewy. But anyway, it tastes good and holds its texture beautifully, and I am excited that I can have the full experience of a good pumpkin pie this Thanksgiving!

• Daryl November 17, 2011, 7:20 pm

I would love to use this crust for a pumpkin pie or sweet potato pie, but am a bit concerned about the baking time. Your recipe has the crust baking for only 9 minutes. So if I bake it for longer than that, it will burn. Any suggestions?

• The Coconut Mama November 17, 2011, 7:38 pm

Hi Daryl,
      I would suggest covering the rim of the crust with foil to prevent burning. Also, don’t prebake the crust. Just pour the pumpkin pie mixture into the unbaked crust and bake according to recipe.

Good luck! Please let me know how it turns out :)

• Daryl November 25, 2011, 6:06 pm

I made a sweet potato pie and I used coconut milk instead of the unhealthy evaporated milk and used your coconut crust recipe. I covered the rim with foil per your suggestion. It turned out great. The crust did look like it was burnt, but it didn’t taste burnt at all. Everyone loved it and didn’t miss the flour crust. It held up well with the 1 hr bake time. It was also very firm and wasn’t soggy due to the filling. Thanks again.

• Marcus Riedner November 28, 2011, 7:05 pm

I found this crust turned out very very dry when making a quiche. Any suggestions on how to make it moister?

• The Coconut Mama November 28, 2011, 9:54 pm

Hmmm. I haven’t had this problem. Did you cook the crust then add the quiche filling and bake more? Perhaps it would be best to not pre bake the crust with quiche.

• Sarah December 17, 2011, 11:12 pm

This is THE BEST pie crust I have ever had or made. I went by the exact directions. After it cooled I filled it with chocolate cream and put whipped cream on top. This was so simple. thank you so much!

• Emilie October 17, 2012, 12:47 pm

Hi,
    I’d love to try this recipe but 3/4 of a cup of coconut flour seems not much to me since you usually use around 2 cups of “regular” flour for a pie crust… are you sure this is right?

• The Coconut Mama October 18, 2012, 2:39 pm

Hi Emilie,

Yes. Coconut flour absorbs a lot of liquid and expands. This works for just 1 (bottom) pie crust.

~ Tiffany

• Lisa October 31, 2012, 8:47 am

So happy to find this recipe here i was breaking my head what to do for thanksgiving i found out i have gluten alergy after baking and cosuming regular flour all this years.This will help a lot thanks.

• Debby December 10, 2012, 11:13 am

Can this recipe also be used for a pie that gets baked with the crust (i.e. pecan or pumpkin pie)?

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama December 10, 2012, 2:18 pm

Yes! I have had several people email me to tell my they used in for pumpkin pie and it turned out great! I haven’t tried it myself yet, but will be soon!

• Amy Subach June 8, 2013, 7:33 pm

If you do bake it again, cover the edges with foil so it doesn’t burn.

• Jennifer Redwine December 10, 2012, 10:04 pm

Wonder if you could use coconut oil in place of the butter and something in place of the eggs?

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama December 10, 2012, 10:11 pm

Coconut oil works but I don’t know if you can replace the egg. You may try and leave it out and see how it goes?

• Figgs January 27, 2013, 10:14 am

I tried to use coconut oil, but it did not turn out well.. at all.

• Mhairi Williams May 8, 2013, 8:41 pm

I would try making cashew butter/cream instead, I am allergic to dairy casein so I use nut butters but not nut oils when substituting and dehydrating it might be better than cooking… maybe but I am only guessing, coconut butter might work too

• Hannah July 22, 2014, 6:48 am

I’ve heard that banana works well instead of eggs (I don’t know how much you would need or anything). I’ve also used homemade applesauce instead of butter or oil. Use the same amount as you would use for the butter. The applesauce should NOT have anything but apples and maybe some water.

• Trinity January 28, 2013, 5:02 pm

Made this last night. So quick and easy and tastes great :)

• Alyssa February 10, 2013, 2:34 pm

I just made this recipe along with a double batch of the [url=http://thecoconutmama.com/2013/01/chocolate-and-date-mousse-a-recipe-from-indulge-and-heal/] chocolate and date mousse [/url] to make a coconut mousse pie. Yummy!!

• Stacey Watson February 20, 2013, 5:34 am

Wondering if this would taste good as a base for an egg casserole.  Have you tried that?  Just thinking it might be too sweet for it.  I just may have to try it and find out.

• Stacey Watson February 20, 2013, 7:06 am

DUH!  Just saw your comment about leaving out the sweetener.  Going to try it now! :)

• KarrieMay April 22, 2013, 7:10 am

Could you substitute the grass fed butter with Coconut butter instead?

• Amy Subach June 8, 2013, 7:35 pm

I’ve made this twice now, subbing duck fat for the butter, and it’s awesome. It’s the best. It is my go-to crust so thank you!

• Karla Crosse July 22, 2013, 3:56 pm

Hi there! Do you think this is a dough that can be rolled out? I’m trying to make empanadas with it.

• MrsMarino September 16, 2013, 8:21 am

AMAZING!!! I just substituted unsweetened coconut milk for regular milk, added some green bell pepper, and used Toscano cheese instead of gruyère since that’s what I had and it is DELICIOUS!!! As a side note, my quiche took about 10-15 minutes longer in the oven, but so worth it and my 17-month-old loves it too!!! :)

• Mallorie November 6, 2013, 5:22 am

I’m running low on coconut flour right now and only have almond flour…do you happen to know if this recipe will work with almond flour? Or, how should I adjust the recipe? I’m making your quiche – one of my favorite meals! :)

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama November 6, 2013, 1:07 pm

I don’t bake with almond flour so I’m not sure! Please let us know how it turns out if you try it.

• Fittu November 9, 2013, 4:45 am

So I made the pie crust last night as a base for my quiche. It was easy to assemble but after baking the taste of the coconut crust overpowered the rest of the dish. I was sort of disappointed because you could taste more of the sawdusty crust. It was also very sweet. Would it be better to add more liquids and salt to make the crust more subtle? Anyone’s feedback will be appreciated.

• Fittu November 9, 2013, 4:45 am

Oh and I did not add any honey to mine. So it was naturally sweet.

• Margie Hittle- Franklin November 17, 2013, 10:01 am

Could I use this for a fruit pie? Like an apple pie?

• jeremiah 2911 November 17, 2013, 5:47 pm

my son cannot have casein. Could I use Ghee?

• Caitlin November 18, 2013, 1:34 pm

I tried this recipe, but it was not solid like a dough, and still quite liquidy. In the oven, the sides just gathered to the bottom. What have I done wrong. Regardless, I still made quiche with it and the flavor was phenomenal. I think next time I’ll just try one egg?

• Heidi F. December 12, 2013, 8:54 am

I made this for our pumpkin pie. It was fabulous!

• Shannon January 6, 2014, 9:46 am

Do you think you could just use egg yolks? I am allergic to the whites.

• Linda May 10, 2014, 7:06 am

This makes a FANTASTIC cheesecake base. Looking forward to using it (unsweetened) for a quiche. Thanks for a great recipe.

• Rose September 3, 2014, 8:59 am

Hello,

Should the butter be melted before you measure it, or after? I also would like to use applesauce instead of the honey. Do you think this is possible?

Thank you so much!