Healthy Homemade “Mounds” Candy

With Halloween just around the corner I thought I should share this delicious, HEALTHY, recipe for “mounds” candy.  I actually think these are 100 times tastier than mounds. Aside from being tasty, these are extremely easy and quick to make too!

Healthy Homemade Mounds Candy Recipe

Step 1: Using a small saucepan, gently heat coconut oil and shredded coconut on low heat. The shredded coconut will begin to “puff” up after a few minutes in the warm oil. Remove from heat and set aside.

Step 2: In a food processor, process dates, vanilla and salt until creamy and smooth.

Step 3: Mix coconut mixture with date mixture. Pour into a small, bread loaf size pan. Place in freezer for an hour or until set.

Step 4: Gently heat dark chocolate in a small saucepan on low heat. You can also use a double broiler to melt the chocolate. While chocolate is melting, cut the coconut candy into “mound” size pieces.

I cut mine into even squares, then cut them in half again. These taste great without the chocolate too!

Step 5: Dip coconut candy into melted chocolate and then place them carefully on parchment paper. Refrigerate the candy until it is set, 30-45 minutes. Serve and enjoy!

More Healthy Homemade Candy Recipes -
Coconut Cream Chocolate Fudge
Peanut Butter Cups
Raw White Chocolate Candy

This recipe is linked to Real Food Wednesday @ Kelly The Kitchen Kop, Homemaking Link-Up @ Raising Homemakers, Simple Lives Thursday hosted by GNOWFGLINS & Sustainable Eats, Pennywise Platter @ The Nourishing Gourmet, Fight Back Friday @ Food Renegade, Monday Mania @ The Healthy Home Economist,  Healthy Halloween Candy & Treat Link-Up @ CookingTF

• mandy pelkey October 19, 2011, 6:05 am

I am sooo making these thanks for the great recipe!!!

• The Coconut Mama October 19, 2011, 6:10 am

I’m thinking I should bring these to your Halloween party ;)

• Jenna October 19, 2011, 1:10 pm

OOooo – a homemade candy that is healthy and doesn’t require a candy thermometer. A must try :)! Thanks!

• Nichole October 19, 2011, 6:00 pm

Yum! I’m going to have to make a batch or two of these & keep them in the freezer for a quick tread to have on hand :)

• lydia October 21, 2011, 9:17 pm

NICE!!! Gonna have to check out the white chocolate candy and the pumpkin fudge now……………….

• Jo @ Jo's Health Corner October 21, 2011, 10:04 pm

There look so delicious! I will definitely try this, what a great treat.

• Lisa C October 27, 2011, 5:09 am

I just made these…YUM. Maybe I can mass produce them for Halloween…? Lol

• Danielle November 14, 2011, 5:49 pm

I made these last night and they are to die for! I found that I didn’t need 2 chocolate bars (used Green and Blacks)…I have so much chocolate left over that I’ll be making another batch to use it up. Not a problem. :-)

• kmd December 4, 2011, 4:32 pm

Just made the first part, and put the mixture in the freezer. As a total newbie to coconut cooking, I have to offer these additional pieces of info to other folks who may not know:

1. Melt the coconut oil before putting the coconut in it
    2. Use only very fresh, high quality coconut. I bought bulk organic coconut from my local health food store, but it didn’t puff. I am fairly sure that’s because it wasn’t particularly fresh and as a bulk food it was not stored in an air-tight container. I suspect that the coconut sold by Tropical Traditions is bagged very soon after being shredded, so it puffs right up.
    3. Use only very fresh, high quality dates. If your dates have crystallized (as much of mine had), they won’t blend well at all. I had to add some water to get them to the “creamy” stage. Based on my previous experience with dates, it probably would be better to buy dates that still have pits and take the pits out for the recipe. The pits tend to keep the date meat moister.

I love this idea, and can’t wait to see how they turn out!

• Penny Cothran March 28, 2013, 7:12 pm

I just made these, and I wish I would have read your comment first. Yes, melt the coconut oil FIRST before adding the coconut. My coconut didn’t “puff up” either (I used “Best of All” organic coconut). Next time I’ll look for Tropical Traditions. I couldn’t find medjool dates, so I had to settle for another brand of organic dates (they were pitted). Mine didn’t reach the creamy stage either, but it all seemed to blend okay anyway (I had to use my hands to blend it well). I didn’t think to add a little water. Even though mine didn’t turn out as good as maybe it could have it I had the best products, it still tastes very very yummy, especially when using the homemade chocolate chip recipe!

• Chelsea September 16, 2012, 9:10 pm

These are SO delish. I just got to the point of freezing them and they are so good as is I just decided to leave them without the chocolate. I just started eating clean a few weeks ago and my only struggle has been this darn sweet tooth of mine, so THANK YOU for this healthier alternative to my favorite candy!

• The Coconut Mama September 17, 2012, 7:45 am

That’s a great idea, Chelsea! I really like the bars without the chocolate too!

• Naomi Williams September 17, 2012, 4:28 am

How much chocolate do you need? I see lots of sizes of chocolate bars.

• The Coconut Mama September 17, 2012, 7:46 am

Hi Naomi,

1 or 2 – 3 ounce chocolate bars will do for this recipe :)

• Naomi Williams September 17, 2012, 11:59 am

Thanks!

• Madi February 20, 2013, 9:21 am

I was recently thinking about making these but didn’t have a recipe. Thank you much!

• Penny Cothran March 28, 2013, 7:14 pm

Thanks for a great recipe. YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY!!!

• Ceitllyn March 29, 2013, 11:59 am

Can any other sweetener be used instead of dates? I am thinking coconut sugar but what else could be used for the moisture from the dates. Thanks