Pickled Garlic (Fermented)

Naturally Fermented Garlic (Pickled Garlic)

Photobucket

• 12 heads garlic
  • 2 teaspoons oregano
  • 2 teaspoons sea salt
  • 2 tablespoons whey, water kefir, or an additional 2 teaspoons of sea salt
  • filtered water

Remove the outer skins on the garlic and bake garlic heads at 300 degrees until the heads open and cloves can be easily removed. Remove garlic cloves and place in a quart size jar. Mix oregano, salt and whey or kefir with a half cup of filtered water. Pour mixture over garlic cloves. The garlic cloves should be completely covered with water mixture. Add more water if needed. Make sure to leave an inch between top of garlic and lid. Cover tightly and leave at room temperature for 3 days. Store in refrigerator.

ad_spacer ad_spacer

Photobucket

This recipe is linked to Fight Back Friday @ Food Renegade

ad_spacer ad_spacer

ad_spacer ad_spacer

• belenda October 8, 2011, 2:47 pm

What would you use fermented garlic for?

• Coconut Mama October 9, 2011, 2:35 am

You can use it for any recipe using garlic. I like to add it to my homemade salsa and guacamole.

• Debbie January 24, 2012, 9:27 am

Do you have to bake the garlic? I put raw cloves in my fermented pickles and peppers – should I be baking them first?

• Jo Zimny September 30, 2014, 11:17 am

Hi:

I love garlic and the pickled garlic sounds intriguing. Just wondering if you’ve ever made black fermented garlic. In Oriental Asia this is rather common. I bought some at Trader Jo’s and it was really good, reminded me of garlic marinated in balsamic vinegar.

Jo :)

• Tasha October 6, 2014, 1:47 pm

I’m new to fermenting (just started my first water kefir–love it!) This garlic recipe sounds simple enough for me to try as a first time recipe. Thanks for posting.

• Lori October 7, 2014, 1:31 pm

could also use raw ACV, to ferment, like the idea of baking first, getting the skin off all those cloves could prove difficult.