Simple Coconut Flour Muffins

Baking with coconut flour can be a little tricky. You need to use a lot of eggs to help bind the flour together  so the final product holds up. Coconut flour baked goods are usually a little dense and crumbly. But for anyone who isn’t able to eat wheat or gluten, coconut flour baked goods  are a wonderful substitute!

This is a basic muffin recipe using coconut flour. Use this recipe as a base for simple muffins or add orange or lemon zest, dried fruit, or chocolate to this recipe to create your favorite muffin.

Simple Coconut Flour Muffins

Makes 12 MuffinsCoconut Flour Muffins

!.  Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, mix all dry ingredients together and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, beat eggs and mix in melted coconut oil, honey and vanilla. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Let sit for 3-5 minutes or until coconut flour has absorbed the liquid.
3. Scoop batter into prepared muffin pan. Fill each muffin tin 3/4 full of batter.
4. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Let muffins cool before serving. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
Enjoy :)
This recipes is linked to Monday Mania, Fat Tuesday, Traditional Tuesday, Simple Lives Thursday

• Shirley @ gfe June 5, 2012, 7:48 am

I will make these this weekend–thanks so much! :-)

Shirley

• Jen June 6, 2012, 3:44 am

Can Stevia be used instead of honey?

• The Coconut Mama June 6, 2012, 7:24 am

I haven’t used stevia in this recipe, so I’m not sure :(. If you try it, please let me know how it turns out!

• Judy Lang July 3, 2012, 11:25 am

Great recipe! I found this amazingly cheap source for coconut flour! So excited: http://www.digestivewellness.com/itempage-1525-24-11-1754.html

• Lisa July 5, 2012, 8:46 am

I just happened to stumble upon this recipe, and I am making a batch up right now! I’m on a low carb/low sugar diet, but I’m also trying to cook healthier for my BF since he eats a lot of crap/sugar. He doesn’t like the coconut flavor, but he has tried some stuff I made with coconut flour and liked it. So, I was happy to have everything on hand. I am using refined coconut oil so it doesn’t have much of the coconut taste. I am debating on adding some cinnamon or pumpkin! Maybe I’ll just have him try the basic recipe first before adding anything else.

• Lisa July 5, 2012, 10:16 am

Just had to say that I tried one and they are delicious! I plugged the nutrition info in My Fitness Pal and they are 20 carbs/14 grams of sugar each. Not bad!

• The Coconut Mama September 16, 2012, 6:53 pm

Awesome Lisa! I’m glad you liked them :)

• AthenaRose September 4, 2013, 7:42 am

• gmcj32 September 13, 2013, 10:09 am

Hi,If you don’t mind me asking how much fiber and protein did they have?

• Theresa July 6, 2012, 7:52 pm

Just made a batch for my GF/DF, grain, refined sugar free toddlers, added 1 raw apple peeled and chopped and handful of sultanas plus 1/2 tsp cinnamon – absolutely the best coconut flour muffins I have made so far! Will be using this as a base for all my kids muffins from now on – Thank you!

• The Coconut Mama July 7, 2012, 10:34 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed them, Theresa! Thanks for leaving me a comment and letting me know you tried them :)

• Briana July 12, 2012, 1:04 pm

This recipe is fantastic (and just what I have been looking for!). I have made it twice and varied the recipe a little both times. I used stevia one time and coconut nectar the next – both worked well as honey substitutes. I also added blueberries and bananas. For a special treat, I added a little bit of coconut butter on top. Thanks so much!

• The Coconut Mama July 12, 2012, 1:11 pm

I’m so glad you like this recipe, Briana :)

• Lauren @ Empowered Sustenance August 9, 2012, 11:07 am

These look delicious! I love how simple the recipe is, too. Sometimes its fun to experiment with new ingredients, but I am always very happy to find a recipe that calls for ingredients I can find in my pantry! Jen, in the second comment, asked about a stevia replacement for the honey. I have found that using applesauce and stevia can replace the honey in coconut flour recipes. I’m posting a stevia sweetened coconut flour cake soon that will include the ratios!

• The Coconut Mama September 16, 2012, 6:54 pm

Good to know about the stevia and applesauce combination! I would not have thought to try that! Thanks Lauren :)

• Serena August 16, 2012, 2:41 pm

I love baking with coconut flour. If you add 2 tablespoons of psyllium powder it will change the consistency and make it less crumbly, The results will be moist and soft with a better mouth feel. You will have to play with the amount of flour/liquid to get it right though.

• The Coconut Mama August 17, 2012, 9:45 am

Good to know! I’ll have to try that next time :)

• Katrina Pelters September 4, 2012, 7:11 am

I wanted to say THANK YOU! My daughter has only 2 safe foods, Chicken and Eggs due to severe food allergies. We have been trialing coconut for about 2 months now and it has been a pass.. we’ve never had a grain so no cupcakes, muffins, bread, etc. I found this recipe and made it for her the first time on Saturday.. they were AMAZING! I changed the honey to agave nectar light and dropped the quantity to 1/3 cup (she’s got sugar intolerance issues). I can’t believe how good they are!!! can’t wait to try some other stuff with the muffins!! Thank you!

• The Coconut Mama September 4, 2012, 8:12 am

I’m glad you enjoyed these! Thanks for letting me know how much you liked them! :)

• suzi October 29, 2013, 10:15 am

Good for you for finding recipes for your daughter. There are many. But, one ingrediant I noticed that I have read alot about….is the agave. Beware of it. It is highly processed. Do you like raw local honey, or maybe maple syrup?

• Nicole September 14, 2012, 2:36 pm

I am on the GAPS diet. Can I leave out the baking soda? Or should I replace it with something?

• The Coconut Mama September 16, 2012, 6:55 pm

Sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner! I was out of town. I think these will work just fine without the soda. They will not be as fluffy, but I think they will still taste good :).

• Ivy December 1, 2012, 4:45 pm

I made these with cranberries and orange zest so good

• The Coconut Mama December 1, 2012, 9:07 pm

Ivy » Ummm that sounds like a great combo!

• Joshandtrina December 19, 2012, 2:01 am

I cut the recipe in half. It made 4 regular sized muffins. I used maple syrup instead of honey. I felt like something awesome ( the family had dr pepper cake and brownies… I was tempted ) to really satisfy my cravings. So I experimented. I put mashed banana and peanut butter in 2, cocoa in 1, and then fresh lemon in another. WOW lemon goes well with coconut flour, cocoa was the usual awesome, and the most amazing one was the banana and pb, I couldnt believe how these muffins were just like regular muffins in every way. Thank you for this!!

• pke November 19, 2013, 8:25 pm

How much of each did you add?

• Ap_d2001 February 20, 2013, 10:38 am

I tried this with coconut flour. I needed 2 eggs instead of two and I added 1 tbsp almond butter. I needed to cook this for 5 mins.

• HICaveGirl March 3, 2013, 9:15 pm

Made these tonight, but mixed half honey and half almond butter.  They were dense, but tasty!

• Deanna March 18, 2013, 3:37 pm

What is the nutritional breakdown on these? Look great!

• Monique Salazar May 22, 2013, 3:58 pm

So I made these by the recipe except I swapped honey for organic maple syrup because that’s what I had in my pantry. They’re so good. I had some leftover eggs whites from making homemade mayo that I wanted to use up, so I made these again but I first whisked the 2 egg whites, then I added some flaxseed and water, plus 4 eggs. They’re even lighter and fluffier. Thanks for the recipe, so simple and easy to make.

• staci June 9, 2013, 6:01 pm

I have found that for ME (regular paleo-eater), they don’t actually need the honey! This time I added mashed raspberries, they’re really good! :)

• Melanie June 25, 2013, 4:17 pm

Just baked these and they are SO tasty! I was pleasantly surpised because I tried another coconut flour recipe a few days ago and they did not turn out well!
    Thank you for this recipe! I will definitely be making these again :) I would like to add some fruit next time!

• AthenaRose September 4, 2013, 9:37 am

mine came out way too heavy but i didn’t use the honey either..i’m a diabetic so can’t use honey or agave..Didn’t have a 3/4 c so used 1/2 c and 1/4 ?

• Jennifer September 8, 2013, 1:38 pm

I made mini muffins. These are so great! Thanks for the recip

• gmcj32 September 13, 2013, 10:14 am

Great recipe. Most of the coconut flour recipes call for other flours and xanthar gum(sp). I wanted something simple and good and that’s what I found when I baked these. I swapped agave nectar since I didn’t have honey and added a little water, because they seemed dense. My son loved them so I can make them for his breakfast. He is a picky eater. I wanted him to get some good nutrients in the morning and these have protein and fiber. I love them too! thanks for posting this recipe.

• Sandy Halliday October 25, 2013, 7:27 am

I’ve just been looking for a recipe like this. Have everything to hand except 6 eggs. There’s recipe on my organic coconut flour packet for Walnut Raisin Muffins that only needs 3 eggs. I think I’ll try that. It sounds yummy!

• Mel October 27, 2013, 8:02 pm

Hiya, I’ve just recently made some coconut muffins (unfortunately it wasn’t this one) and they’ve turned out all crumbly and not really able to be eaten as muffins/cupcakes – I don’t want to waste them so I was wondering if you could tell me or point me in the right direction how I may turn them into a caramel pudding or something similar. I am very new to the alternative flours.
    xxMel

• Sheela December 15, 2013, 6:07 pm

Thanks for sharing this great recipe. I just made these muffins and they tasted AWESOME. I added blueberries to half the batter and it came out exceptionally good. Thanks again!

• Rachel Olson January 22, 2014, 12:29 pm

Can you substitute light-tasting olive oil for the coconut oil? Thanks!

• The Coconut Mama January 22, 2014, 1:25 pm

Hi Rachel! I don’t see any reason why not :) Are you trying to avoid the coconut taste?

• Candace @ Candida Free Candee January 31, 2014, 6:15 pm

These look amazing, I am making them tonight! I will try some mashed berries as one reader suggested…I can’t wait!

• Cristy March 28, 2014, 3:04 am

The whole family loved them. Thanks for a great basic recipe. This is my new go to muffin recipe

• Inaz March 31, 2014, 1:19 am

Thanks Tifanny for sharing this awesome recipe! I made these muffins today (halved), but subbing psyllium husks (sp?) and water and stevia for the honey (2Tbsp PH / 1/4 water / few drops of stevia to taste).
    I also added some fresh grated coconut into the batter. They taste great. Will be making them again and again, and may try different variations next time, like adding fruits or nuts etc.
    Thanks again!

• Michelle April 11, 2014, 4:32 pm

Thank you! I just made these & Wow, what a beautiful surprise! I added the zest of one lemon as well. Very light & very satisfying. Mine were done @ 22 minutes however. Probably the best use of coconut flout yet;)

I’m now going to try another reader’s version- cranberries & orange zest.

• Carol April 23, 2014, 8:39 pm

First coconut flour baking recipe I’ve found that actually works! Super easy, simple ingredients and tastes super. Will be serving these with some mascarpone or yoghurt tonight. Thank you!