Coconut Oil Chocolate Bars

New to Essential Oils? Sign up for a FREE 14 day e-Course and email series to walk you through the basics! Register now for FREE here!

Coconut Oil Chocolate Bars

I love chocolate.

I avoid most commercial candy bars due to artificial flavors or soy lecithin in the ingredients. I found that if I mix cocoa powder with coconut oil, vanilla, salt & sugar I can produce a chocolate bar that is both tasty and healthy!

Coconut Oil Chocolate Bars

Heat coconut oil in a small saucepan over low heat. Once it melts add the remaining ingredients. Stir and pour mix over a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Place cookie sheet in refrigerator for 2-4 hours, or until it is set. Once the chocolate hardens, break it up into pieces. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

• Tammy December 31, 2012, 11:23 am

What brands of cocoa powder do you both suggest we use and avoid? Thanks!

• Carolyn December 31, 2012, 11:43 pm

can these be used as chips in cookies or would they melt too much

• Beth_altman4 January 1, 2013, 2:23 am

I’ve made something similar before but used stevia for sweetening.  I didn’t put vanilla in…I’m going to try that, though.  I bet it’s even better.  I’ve melted it a little and used for dipping fruit and that was very good.  I’ve never tried the coconut butter before…is it found where you get coconut oil?  Thank you for posting this!

• Joy January 1, 2013, 7:49 am

I have found that if I stir this in the pan as it hardens, the ingred. don’t separate and leave a layer of unsweetened, unflavored oil.  Anybody else solve this a different way?? :)
    I made many batches of this and used it for gifts this Christmas-quite popular!  You do NOT want to leave this and forget to turn it off and let it reach a boil-lol!  However, as you can tell, I did this and a chocolate tootsie roll goo was left that would not stir back into the oil!
    My daughter and I looked at each other and said how new things often come from mistakes-ha!!  The goo was actually quite tasty!!  Now to use the leftover oil in my next batch of chocolate…..
    P.S.  I live in Minnesota, so just stirring this out in my unheated entry for 2 min. does the trick lol!!  This morning it is 15 below, so I think 30 seconds would be just fine :).

Thank you sooo much, ‘CocoMama’, for this site-I LOVE it and all your good humor and great experimenting-plus ‘CocoBaby’ pix of her sampling is over the top cute!!  My friends and kids all roll their eyes when I tell them to use coconut oil for whatever ailment they come up with! :)

• Jennifer Swedlund January 3, 2013, 6:32 pm

Ha! I’m new to Minnesota, and the instant freezer outside might be my favorite part of winter!

• Sandy January 3, 2014, 9:36 pm

Welcome to Minnesota!

• Brian Arthur Solomon November 1, 2013, 9:29 pm

Try doing it bain marie style!

• Natasa Hennessy January 1, 2013, 6:55 pm

Thanks so much! I just made them and they taste delicious! Much love,
    Natasha

• Delia Trenholm January 2, 2013, 9:44 pm

I love to add hemp coconut and cacao nibs to mine =)  Joy….. I have had that happen too ….there are a few things that can make that happen ….one is if there is any type of moisture at all in your pot or on your utensils….make sure everything is bone dry when you start …..if i let it get to hot ….also i find if i turn the heat off and whisk in the honey quickly it helps too =) hope that helps

• Damchandler January 13, 2013, 12:49 pm

Try adding some orange oil to it,

• Lisaandandy January 17, 2013, 5:45 am

Yes, mine was a separated yuck. Oil and cocoa…. and honey and cocoa layers.

• Sarah January 28, 2013, 3:38 pm

I love this so much I can’t even tell you. Ciliac and no soy or well you just name it. Thanks for the recipe at my age learning how to eat different has been a challenge but I am getting there.

• Vegglover February 8, 2013, 2:53 pm

A lot of people call a similar recipe COCOA CRACK. lol. This sounds delicious. The other recipe has artificial sweetener. This is much better. :)

• Brandy Moore Lovell February 9, 2013, 9:39 am

I have made these. They are very good. I mixed in smooth peanut butter and molded it into silicon muffin tins for a homemade peanut butter cup taste.

• Steph February 14, 2013, 7:04 pm

WOW. This is super good. I made a double batch (you know, it is Valentines Day after all) and poured it into silicone heart shaped molds. We didn’t eat them all but the day isn’t quite over yet! Thanks for this recipe! My girls were so excited to have chocolate. :)

• Brenda March 3, 2013, 2:58 am

Can I use Cacao powder?

• Emma March 20, 2013, 6:28 am

I made this using crunchy peanut butter as the sweetener and it tastes delicious!

• Michelle April 5, 2013, 9:17 am

Hi I made these yesterday and I did something wrong. I stirred a couple times until it started to harden but the edges were mostly cocoa without any sweet honey and the middle didn’t harden all the way and was were most of the honey migrated. I love this idea bc I cannot have milk or soy so these are perfect I just need to get the ingredients to be evenly distributed and they were a little thin what size pan did you use. Thanks for any help.

• Bron Robinson May 2, 2013, 9:50 pm

My second batch did this – just stir it back together and is should set fine :D

• Deeber71 June 9, 2013, 9:24 am

Hi – this happened with my batch as well. I put them in the freezer on a cookie tray and left over night and in the morning, the cocoa and coconut oil had hardened but the center (maple syrup) was still liquid. So every time I broke off a piece, the syrup was dripping out. They were delicious (ate the whole tray myself!!), but how do you get the maple syrup to freeze?? I stirred everything well I think.

• Tamara December 29, 2013, 6:37 am

I found that after about 10 minutes or so in the fridge you can stir the batch again and it will blend all the bitter cocoa and oil back into your sweetener. It also makes the entire batch set faster.

• Martha April 8, 2013, 9:08 pm

Thank you for sharing this. It is extremely delicious. I only do wish that there was something you could add to it to make it so it would stay solid out of the fridge. I would love to be able to make these and take them on the go, and to share with others. Any ideas? (I absolutely love my Wilderness Family coconut oil too.)

• dani January 4, 2014, 3:51 pm

i added vanilla bark. it stayed solid until 80 degrees

• Linda Stanhope April 19, 2013, 3:09 pm

Thank you for reposting! I was telling my friends about this wonderful recipe and forgot to give you credit! Linda

• Julia April 19, 2013, 5:53 pm

Oh my goodness these are amazing. I added a little cinnamon but strictly for health reason of course! Thank you!

• Jenn Bates Allen April 19, 2013, 11:43 pm

Could I use coconut sugar in place of honey?

• Nina Lyman April 26, 2013, 2:31 pm

I wish someone would answer..i was wondering too

• Anon November 1, 2013, 9:36 pm

I use coconut sugar in other recipes as a substitute, i don’t like a honey flavour in a lot of things. It’s quite granular so making sure you dissolve it well would be the main thing, maybe very gently warm the coconut oil to help dissolve it

• ZOMama November 5, 2013, 3:37 pm

Coconut nectar might work well too.

• Brenda March 19, 2014, 6:51 pm

My 1st. batch had separated.. So for the second, I let the mixture sit until it it got very thick (cool) & then mixed & spread it over the pan, then immediately placed into the freezer until set. It came out Much better w/hardly any separation..
        I”ve also used this same method and placed coconut flakes, tart cherries, nuts & relayer w/the chocolate/coconut mixture…Have fun, Your the boss…Also, I never get mine hot. the coconut oil melts at around 72-76,,then add the cacao, honey or sweetner. None of it needs to cook & get hot, you will only kill off good nutrients. Plus it becomes workable faster. :D

• Christina Ellis February 12, 2014, 12:01 pm

You could use coconut sugar and blend it in a food processor until coconut powdered sugar. Then add it and make sure you let warm enough to let the sugar melt into the chocolate mixture. Don’t let it boil though!

• carol dowling April 21, 2013, 12:18 pm

Coconut oil is awesome. It makes your food more healthy and your skin so soft. It is a number one product for me and my family.Thanks for the giveaway.

• Gail T May 8, 2013, 9:57 am

Yeah!!! I was just thinking about making something like this last night. I stumbled upon this post from a link for your lotion bars at frugally sustainable. Thanks a bunch!!! Can’t wait to try it. Gonna use it to make a hot fudge smoothie. Mmm.

• Aviva Hufford May 10, 2013, 7:53 am

What’s the calorie info? How many servings? Thanks!!

• DeAnna June 8, 2013, 9:10 am

I made some that were very similar to these, but they didn’t have the chocolate. I am so going to make these. Thanks

• Terese July 23, 2013, 5:05 pm

I’m so sad…I was so excited to try this, but it came out bitter and nasty…what did I do wrong? I followed it to a “T”! (I used honey for the sweetener, and used the recommended amount, but it came out completely bitter??)

• Lara August 26, 2013, 6:59 pm

I accidentally used unsweetened cocoa and they were bitter. Make sure you are using a sweetened cocoa powder.

• Joy R. January 8, 2014, 3:27 pm

I tasted this before it hardened and it was very bitter for me, too. The recipe didn’t say sweetened cocoa powder—I would think if they are using natural sweeteners they would want the cocoa to be as pure as possible. I had to triple the brown rice syrup I was using to sweeten it, and it’s about the taste of dark chocolate. Very dark! Which I like, but was perplexed why the author would want their chocolate so bitter—and why everyone else had theirs come out so fantastic!

• Rebecca August 27, 2013, 5:20 pm

i only have unsweetened cocoa powder. how can i make it with the unsweetened cocoa? cause i really dont have money right now for sweetened cocoa :(

• Vanessa Eloise Diviny August 28, 2013, 8:11 pm

I made this the other day and I am not sure what I did wrong, but I didn’t like it, tastes a bit like soap.

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama September 17, 2013, 3:46 am

hmm what brand of coconut oil did you use?

• Vanessa Eloise Diviny September 17, 2013, 4:15 am

SF Health Foods organic coconut oil.

• frog125 October 8, 2013, 5:44 pm

Posible your pan was not rinsed well enough? I have made that mistake before and put it on the stove to cook supper. It taste little soapy just hint. As coconut oil and coco and honey or maple syurp would not think it would cause that

• Orson September 15, 2013, 12:24 am

I’m a big fan of almost anything chocolate, and I’m curious about your use of cocoa powder here instead of cacao powder. I’ve read that there’s a pretty big difference between the makeup of the two. Is there a benefit to using one over the other in this recipe?

Also, my coconut oil is currently in its liquid state. Can this recipe be made without heating the oil or does that make everything blend a bit better?

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama September 17, 2013, 3:46 am

I use both but the raw cacao powder must have a lot of caffeine because it makes me really hyper! I can’t use it often. That is why I use organic cocoa powder instead.

• frog125 October 10, 2013, 10:25 am

I saw video that says mixs the mixture consently when pouring to prevent it from seprating….
    Unforantly my family did not like this recipe. Luckly I made 1/2 batch… I tried adding milk powder extra maple syurp and extra tb of oil…To try cut bitterness( Helped little but still very dark I mean VERY…. This taste more like 80 % even though its 50% … It is very dark. I sujust adding one tb at time of coco . So you can make it your own taste….
    I don’t plan on giving up. As I want see if it helps my gastropersis to digust better as its spouse help with GI sytem

• Cathy October 18, 2013, 7:46 am

Hi, I love your blog! this is the first recipe I tried. I had a question, when I poured it onto my cookie sheet it was not enough to fill it. If I had spread it to the edges it would be a paper thin layer so I left it in the center on the parchment paper. I always thought cookie sheets were the same size?

• mtnlvr November 15, 2013, 6:52 pm

Yummm! mine turned out chewy like a caramel. keep them in the fridge. haven’t tried doubling the recipe ,but need to as the first batch was gone quickly.Thanks for the recipe

• Jackie November 29, 2013, 3:45 am

Just made this and wow, very good!

• Tamara December 29, 2013, 6:32 am

After about 10 minutes in the fridge I re-stirred this to blend it better. Turned out great. Going to make this and add dried cranberries to one batch, crushed peppermints to another. The possibilities are endless!

• Bruchko January 5, 2014, 7:36 am

One of the comments says to use sweetened cocoa powder. Is this true? I didn’t even know such a product existed.

• Thoughtful Cooking January 14, 2014, 3:29 pm

instead of honey, I used cane sugar syrup, and it turned out great!

• Shannon January 15, 2014, 12:59 pm

These are yummy I just wish they would stay firm I want to take some to work but can’t! .

• Sarah February 1, 2014, 5:47 am

Oh. My. Gosh. I made this yesterday and sprinkled some shredded coconut on it before cooling it and it tastes like Samoa Cookies!!! My friends and I ate half of the batch in one sitting. Thank you!

• Jelka April 7, 2014, 4:59 pm

Thank you for a great recipe! I put some crushed pistachios and cranberries and a little granola! Best thing ever! Had to hide it from myself!LOL

• Kristen Campbell April 10, 2014, 1:07 pm

I made these yesterday and they are AMAZING! I love the flavor and I have been missing chocolate bars since I went Paleo! Thanks!!! :)

• Tiffany June 5, 2014, 6:28 pm

Try adding some natural PB – about the same amount as the cocoa and oil. Or add unsweetened coconut and almonds. Or add a few drops of peppermint oil. Or a few drops of orange oil. Obviously I’ve spent far too much time with this! I only make a small batch, because I eat it all! 1 TBS raw cacao, 1 TBS coconut oil. 1/2 TBS honey.

• Anita June 12, 2014, 1:44 pm

What is the nutritional value?

• Pam July 7, 2014, 5:06 pm

Tiffany … when you make your small batch, do you add the vanilla? I think a small batch is a great way to try it out for the first time. I, like you, would probably eat the entire batch! : /

• Sally July 17, 2014, 9:11 pm

I’ve recently fallen in love with coconut oil. As a chocolate lover who is allergic to soy (which most choc has in it dammit!) I’ve been making a version of this divine healthy treat. I don’t use salt and use date puree instead of sugar or honey. And I’m also going to buy cacao and use that instead of cocoa as it has so many more healthy nutrients in it than cocoa. The only downside is that I can’t leave it alone!! It’s so awesome to have found such a delicious treat that is actually good for you!
    I’ve only just discovered your website and look forward to exploring it. Thanks for sharing your passion and knowledge.