Antioxidant Coffee Body Scrub with Coconut Oil

New to Essential Oils? Sign up for a FREE 14 day e-Course and email series to walk you through the basics! Register now for FREE here!

Antioxidant Coffee Body Scrub with Coconut Oil

line1
Our skin is the largest organ in our body. It absorbs 60% – 80% of what it comes in contact with. When you use commercial cosmetic products, lotions, perfume, oils and scrubs, all of the ingredients in those products absorb right into your blood stream. The ingredients in these products can be toxic and are even known to attribute to allergies, cancer and birth defects.

That is why I love to make my own beauty products. I know exactly what I am applying to my skin. The ingredients I use are natural ingredients that I have in my kitchen! I also love the fact that my kids get to grow up free of the toxic overload from the body products we use in our home.

Several years ago I worked for a Bath and Body company. I fell in love with their coffee and cocoa scrubs. The coffee scrub was known to help reduce cellulite. I found that the coffee scrub really helped to firm and smooth my skin.

I recently found out that it is the caffeine in the scrub that supposedly helps reduce cellulite.  I do not claim that this scrub will reduce cellulite (though that would be an added bonus) but I will tell you that coffee and coconut oil are rich in antioxidants, which are very beneficial for the skin.

This coffee body scrub also smells amazing! I am a die-hard coffee lover, so I am in heaven when I use it!

Coffee Body Scrub

Melt coconut oil and allow it to cool but not solidify. Mix all ingredients together and store in an airtight container or mason jar. Use 1-2 times a week (or everyday if you like). The coffee and sugar will exfoliate your skin and the coconut oil will leave your skin soft and moisturized.

Antioxidant Coffee Body Scrub with Coconut Oil

line2
line1

• Debby Hughes via Facebook March 12, 2013, 10:59 pm

Protect your drain :) Grinds will muck it up!

• Claudia Veronica Hoffmann-Wallmann via Facebook March 12, 2013, 11:40 pm

Thank you Debby! I did not know that.

• Everyday Maven March 13, 2013, 9:31 am

I am making this today! Not only do I have all of these ingredients in my house but I just ran out of my store-bought scrub!!

• Andrea Lauren Groves March 13, 2013, 9:50 am

Lovely! I’m going to make this. I can’t take coffee internally (on the Autoimmune Protocol), but I think externally is a different story. It’ll be like enjoying a cup of coffee without the negative effects! :)

• Gloria Shoeman via Facebook March 13, 2013, 11:28 am

This I will try…!

• Lynn Thelen via Facebook March 13, 2013, 4:00 pm

This is a definite must try. Not a coffee drinker but will buy some. I love making salt scrubs with coconut oil so this should really work.

• Laura Passarello March 13, 2013, 5:45 pm

Great! I mix coconut oil and brown sugar for a great scrub for keratosis pilaris. It works better than the store bought stuff that costs $85. I like the idea of adding coffee, vanilla and cinnamon. Thanks!

• Katie March 14, 2013, 7:02 pm

I can’t wait to try this! Was looking for a scrub to use every now and then and I have found the one to try. Thanks Coconut Mama!

- Katie

• Surabhi Surendra March 18, 2013, 10:50 am

This is incredible. I am surely going to try it this weekend! Thank you :)

• rishu June 14, 2013, 2:33 pm

hello..!! may i knw hw was d result..!! coz i haven’t tried..want 2 try it out unless nd until sum1 gives a gud response..to it..!!

• Pat June 25, 2013, 9:21 am

If you would spell less annoyingly maybe she would reply to you.

• K January 20, 2014, 8:16 pm

If you’d exist in a way that wasn’t so extremely painful to yourself, you might spare us all. I’m assuming due to the “coz,” English might be her SECOND LANGUAGE. Pfft, another American thinking that Americans and their English (which by the way, is the most inefficient, ridiculous, and unorganized language in the world – widely ridiculed) are the only things in existence. Bug off.

• Shabooty May 1, 2014, 12:29 pm

Wow, do you people have to be so condescending? It’s pretty sad when a person asks a question and is belittled for it.

• Madelene Swinny March 20, 2013, 2:11 am

I could just imagine the smell of your coffee body scrub. I so love it!
    UncommonScents.com

• Christeena March 23, 2013, 10:00 am

Can I use coffee grounds that I have brewed so I get more bang for my buck???

• M Bryant March 25, 2013, 3:54 pm

that is a great question! i would like to know this too, since organic coffee is so dang expensive!

• Catie Meyer Schamel April 2, 2013, 5:21 pm

My guess is that there is too much moisture and a risk for mold with the already brewed grounds, but if you were to do a small batch with that day’s grounds each time you wanted to use it, used grounds would be perfect. I plan to try it this way!

• Heather June 4, 2013, 12:03 pm

It will not give the same effects. Read my response above.

• Staci 'Grainne' Corcoran December 14, 2013, 10:18 am

Right! I don’t think you’d get any “firming cellulite-reducing” type effects, but you’d still get the exfoliating and nice smell anyway. I might just add a Tablespoon or two of dry coffee to my sugar-scrub next time I make it. :)

• Erin Kennard April 2, 2013, 3:02 pm

I would love to know this too! That would be great if you could :)

• Heather June 4, 2013, 12:01 pm

No. Used coffee grounds contain VERY little caffeine (as caffeine is water-soluable). Therefore if it’s the caffeine that is responsible for the firming/toning, you cannot use already-used grounds. Sorry, I wish we could too as we have an organic coffee bean business. :(

• Laura Smith November 5, 2013, 8:52 am

There may not be much/any caffeine left, but you should still get the antioxidant benefit with used grounds

• Taylor Beadle March 25, 2013, 3:53 pm

This looks amazing, do you rub it on and rinse it off quickly, or in the shower? or how do you use it best?! Sorry for the silly question.

• Megan March 26, 2013, 9:03 pm

Have you tried it with Choffy? (Ground Cocao Beans) I bet that would smell amazing as well! If you do not know what Choffy is… http://www.drinkchoffy.com/schultz

• Allison Almond via Facebook April 23, 2013, 12:22 pm

I was thinking about this one while in the shower over the weekend. :P

• Melissa Benavides May 15, 2013, 2:06 pm

Is this good for the face as well?

• Linda May 17, 2013, 11:26 am

Will this scrub stain? And should I clean my body afterwards if I have coffee residue?

• Cate December 8, 2013, 7:54 am

stain what? I rinse the grounds off my skin and down the drain. simple

• Irene May 18, 2013, 9:44 am

I used this today. My legs feel so smooth and the coconut oil does a great job of moisturizing.

• REM May 28, 2013, 8:43 am

What is the shelf life for this?

• Denise Sith May 28, 2013, 9:10 am

Just made this scrub &.it smells beyond divine! used some of the extra on the spoon used to mix on my hands….amazing! And bonus, it left me with a little color! I only use French Press so coffee it is a finer ground…maybe that’s why I got the color?!

• Kendahl @ Our Nourishing Roots June 5, 2013, 7:11 am

This looks AMAZING! I love coffee :)

• Heather May June 5, 2013, 12:50 pm

I LOVE THIS! I have recently began eating all organic as well as making my own cleaners..it is totally time to do the same with my beauty routine! Thanks for sharing!

• Christeena July 28, 2013, 12:45 pm

What is the effect of this on my plumbing and septic system???

• Newintown August 2, 2013, 11:26 am

I have been doing exactly this for about 3 years now, and the good news is, the caffeine really does firm the thighs :) Besides the fact that it smells absolutely divine. You need to rinse your body very thoroughly though, since the ground coffee will stick to your body like the devil, but since the coffee will be flushed out of the tub/shower with PLENTY of water (for above mentioned reason), I haven’t been able to see any adverse effects on the plumbing yet.

• nancy1340 February 23, 2014, 12:00 pm

Thanks for the first hand experence with this on plumbing.

• Marie August 3, 2013, 8:17 pm

Can I use the left over grounds from making cold brew coffee!

• Roma September 6, 2013, 10:09 am

How long will it keep?

• sharon October 28, 2013, 5:42 pm

would using a flavored coffee like vanilla ground coffee be safe to use ?

• wilma January 9, 2014, 4:44 pm

Y9ou should add a preservative if you add any water

• Stacy Streeter November 27, 2013, 9:22 am

I used this post to pin on my Pinterest for the 5 piece cookware Cast Iron set giveaway.

• Cate December 8, 2013, 7:52 am

I made this a couple weeks ago to try on myself… now I am making small jars-full for all my friends for holiday gifts. I love the exfoliating action of the grounds and the coconut leaves my skin so soft I don’t need lotion!

• Dar December 14, 2013, 10:56 am

Tiffany, I was wondering if I could reference your post in my own blog? (
    http://AlaskanHomeGrownFoodie.com ) I’m doing a post about the benefits
    of Coconut. I think it would be a great addition. I don’t have tons of
    readers yet like you (I’m pretty new at this) but I think they’d
    benefit. When you have time to get back to me. :)

• Toni Sicola March 26, 2014, 11:38 am

I am planning to make this over the weekend, but I’m wondering two things — do you use this in the bath on your whole body? And if yes, how do you avoid clogging the drain with the oil and grinds? I have heard some nightmarish stories about people spitting their oil-pulling coconut oil down the drain and having a heck of a time unclogging it. What do you think?

• thaonguyen June 9, 2014, 8:49 am

How long can i store this body scrub? 6 months or longer? Thank you Mama! It’s so great <3

• Lottie June 20, 2014, 12:02 am

Could you use grounds that have been used if you dry them first?

• jessica July 29, 2014, 8:37 pm

Thaonguyen,
      coffee scrubs like this will last about a week. Ive been making one for over a year now and only once did I get lazy and about a week after I made it I opened the jar and it was molding.
      Sadly, one of the downfalls to homemade goodness- but definately worth it to not be putting chemicals and preservatives into your bloodstream. I considered selling it at farmers markets but decided not to when I witnessed how quickly it can expire.

• autumn July 14, 2014, 10:10 pm

about what size containers and how many would this recipe be useful for ?