How to Make Magic Hard Shell Topping for Ice Cream

Homemade Magic Hard Shell Topping (Made without chocolate chips)

Looking for a healthy alternative to the magic hard shell to put on your ice cream? Look no further! I’ve been making magic hard shell with a mix of chocolate chips and coconut oil for a few years but I wanted to be able to make it without using chocolate chips. After testing this recipe over the last month I’ve come up with a combination of wholesome ingredients that work great! You can also use this magic shell recipe to make chocolate covered ice cream pops, chocolate covered fruit pops and chocolate covered bananas!

Magic Hard Shell

Homemade Magic Hard Shell Topping (Made without chocolate chips)

Gently heat the coconut oil, cocoa powder and honey together in a small saucepan over low. Stir until ingredients are melted. Add vanilla and salt and mix.  Pour warm magic shell sauce over ice cream or dessert of choice. Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator. Reheat over low to reuse.

This recipe makes approximately 1 1/4 cup of magic shell sauce.

Snacker-Bottom

• Beck July 12, 2013, 3:55 am

I think you meant cacao powder?

• Fathom July 17, 2013, 9:14 am

Nope. Cocoa powder. Check it out in your grocery store. Its in the baking section.

• Theresa M. Houghton July 24, 2013, 9:59 pm

According to FDA guidelines, cocoa powder and cacao powder are simply different terms for the same powder, and are nearly interchangeable; however, “cacao powder” specifically refers to raw, unsweetened powder. “Cocoa powder,” on the other hand, may still have a very small amount of cocoa butter present to enhance the flavor subtly.”

you can use either but when you change to different cocoa powders or cacao powder the taste will change as the cocoa levels change

• Tam November 5, 2013, 11:33 am

I replace processed cocoa powder with raw cacao in every recipe that I’ve ever come across.

• April July 13, 2013, 8:01 pm

Just made this for hubbyI. He declared it “slap your momma good!”

• KRIS July 24, 2013, 6:22 pm

When you click on the link it takes you to a cacao product not cocoa

• Alicia Weishaar September 26, 2013, 2:59 pm

Please, I’d like to know where you purchase all your cute/fancy little jars from? I love the products on your site and come often.

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama September 26, 2013, 9:02 pm

Thanks, Alicia! I found this bottle at a local thrift shop! Sorry I can’t link to an online seller :(.

~ Tiffany

• Alicia Weishaar September 27, 2013, 8:54 am

I’d really love to find a nice wholesale place that sells different assorted bottles/mason jars. So far I have not found one that I can get cheaper than buying from Balls. I love that little jar you have i’ll have to start hitting some thrift shoppes up to see what I can find.

• How to make ice cream October 8, 2013, 12:47 am

– How to make ice creamYuuummmm….ya, here is the recipe foe delicious dessert. This is really very simple, even kid can try this..!!   Ingredients • Vanilla or any other Flavoured essence 1.5 tea spoon • Cornflou…

• Lyla May 27, 2014, 8:13 am

Do you happen to know the shelf life of this? :)

• jade May 27, 2014, 7:19 pm

Mine turned into a lumpy chocolatey goo after I added the vanilla and salt :-\

• Ruth July 8, 2014, 3:05 am

This didn’t work for me at all! The ingredients simply did not mix together. The cocoa powder stuck together in cooked lumps while the maple syrup and coconut oil mixed together nicely.

• Nicolette September 11, 2014, 4:24 am

I just made this and had it with some Coyo icecream and it was so yummy! I loved it! Will definitely make it again :)