Orange Chocolate Whipped Body Butter

New to Essential Oils? Sign up for a FREE 14 day e-Course and email series to walk you through the basics! Register now for FREE here!

Orange Chocolate Body Butter

Today I’m excited to share this Orange Chocolate Whipped Body Butter recipe from Elizabeth of The Nourished Life! Please head over to The Nourished Life and check out Elizabeth’s book, The Nourished Metabolism (this is my favorite book about metabolism and weight loss) and don’t forget to follow The Nourished Life on Facebook!

This body butter recipe combines the moisturizing power of coconut oil with the heavenly smell of cocoa butter and orange essential oil. The recipe is simple and only takes a few minutes to prepare–which is a good thing, because once your friends and family catch on to why you smell so delicious, they’ll be begging you to make more for them!

Orange Chocolate Whipped Body Butter

Equipment

stand mixer with a whisk attachment is the best tool for this recipe, but a hand mixer can also work. A blender or food processor won’t work for this body butter recipe because these appliances typically get too warm, which can prevent the oil from whipping up properly.

1. Melt the coconut oil and cocoa butter gently in a sauce pan. They don’t need to get hot, just warm enough to melt. Transfer the mixture to your mixing bowl and add the orange essential oil.
  2. Put the mixing bowl in the freezer for 5-10 minutes, or until the mixture is partially solid (you don’t want it all the way solid, or it will cause clumps).
  3. Mix on medium-high speed for 5-8 minutes, or until it’s light and fluffy. You can scrape the sides of the bowl every minute or two to prevent clumps.
  4. Use a spoon or a rubber spatula to transfer your orange chocolate body butter to a glass jar or storage container. Store tightly covered at room temperature.

About Elizabeth

elizabeth walling

Elizabeth Walling is a health and wellness blogger at The Nourished Life and author of The Nourished Metabolism. She enjoys thinking outside of the box and challenging common myths about health. She embraces an approach to getting healthy that includes listening to your body and throwing dietary dogma out the window where it belongs. Read more about Elizabeth here.

• Dorothy August 21, 2013, 7:57 am

If this gets too warm and melts again after whipping it, can it be whipped again with the same results?

• Elizabeth Walling August 21, 2013, 8:17 am

Definitely! The cocoa butter keeps it pretty heat stable, but it can be rewhipped if needed.

• babs August 23, 2013, 8:14 am

I am SO making this. I don’t like putting straight coconut oil on my skin..too slippery. This sounds like a better plan.

• Danielle L. September 6, 2013, 7:57 am

Please take care to use Sweet Orange Essential Oil, as it is not phototoxic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phototoxicity

• laura September 13, 2013, 6:54 am

Do I use refined coconut oil or un-refined?

• Maureen Sullivan September 18, 2013, 2:25 pm

This a great gift idea! How long will it keep? Does it need to be refrigerated?

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama November 4, 2013, 8:10 am

If you add vitamin e it should have a long shelf life. I would say 4-6 weeks without the vitamin e.

• Lisa November 23, 2013, 8:10 pm

How much vitamin E oil would you use for this recipe? Thanks!

• Tricia Francis November 4, 2013, 4:21 pm

Since there is no water incorporated into this it should keep for a few months. Think of the shelf life of the coconut oil and cocoa butter and come to your own conclusion. And since EO’s are, for the most part, anti-bacterial and anti-microbial (among other good things) will add to the shelf life.

• Kristina November 2, 2013, 12:02 pm

Hi there.. Your title mentions chocolate on this post but its not in the ingredients. Was it a typo or is an ingredient missing or is it an oil too? Just found your site.. Love it! K

• Jenn November 3, 2013, 3:02 pm

The coco butter is actually the fat/oil from coco beans which is where chocolate comes from and it smells delicious.

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama November 4, 2013, 8:05 am

What Jenn said! Cocoa butter smells like chocolate.:)

• Ericka December 14, 2013, 6:41 am

Hi! I made this recipe last night and followed the directions to a T. The butter was in a sealed container sitting out room temp. I woke up this morning and it separated in the jars :( Is this something that needs to be refrigerated?

• Ericka December 14, 2013, 6:43 am

Sorry I see the below comment asking the same thing. If it doesn’t need to be cold, do you think I did something wrong then?

• Bethany McKinnon December 18, 2013, 10:42 am

What is the consistency coming out like for you?? and do you measure your oils when they are in liquid form, or by weight?? I’m having slight problems with mine, but trying another batch as we speak.

• Nancy May 18, 2014, 1:17 pm

How much does this increase in volume when it’s whipped? I want to make sure I have a large enough container before I attempt it.

• Courtney July 1, 2014, 10:28 pm

I made a similar recipe, but used grapeseed oil instead of coconut and did a 75/25% ratio… (75-cocoa butter and 25-grapeseed) …But it didn’t whip so well…Kinda on the hard side…any ideas why and how I can fix it? Do you think I can re-melt and maybe add more oil?

• SaraK July 12, 2014, 1:40 pm

I came here looking for edible chocolate orange recipes because… well, I had a homemade mix of shea butter & coconut oil and just received 10 lbs of cocoa butter a few days ago.

Unlike most people, I can not bear the smell of cocoa butter. It’s way too chocolatey for me. So I decided to add cocoa butter to my shea/coconut oil mix. To mask the scent, I thought why not add orange oil. I also added a bit of vitamin E oil and this is HEAVENLY!!!

It was so heavenly that I was now craving chocolate orange squares and since I had food-grade cocoa butter and cocoa powder, why not look for a recipe.
    LOL