This sweet and savory vegan coconut bacon is super easy and quick to make, a great alternative to bacon and makes a wonderful addition to salads, sandwiches, soups and more.
I was skeptical when I first heard about vegan bacon but once I tried it I was hooked! It’s the perfect addition to salads and gives them a nice crunch.
Though I love real bacon, I’m also always looking for more plant-based recipes to add to my collection. This one fits the bill!
This recipe is simple and only uses five ingredients. You’ll need coconut flakes, coconut aminos, maple syrup, coconut oil, and sea salt. And if you’re looking for a smokey flavor in your coconut bacon, add a little liquid smoke!
What are coconut aminos? Coconut aminos offer the savory goodness of soy sauce but contain no soy. Not only is coconut aminos low on the glycemic index, but it also has about one-third the sodium of soy sauce and comes packed with amino acids.
Step 1: Mix all the ingredients together in a medium bowl.
Step 2: Spread the coconut bacon evenly over a cookie sheet. Bake until crispy!
Store in an air-tight container. Use on salads, soups, and sandwiches. Enjoy!Print
This sweet and savory vegan coconut bacon is super easy and quick to make, a great alternative to bacon and makes a wonderful addition to salads and more!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 17 minutes
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
- Category: side dish
- Cuisine: american
- 2 cups large unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- Pinch of salt
- (Optional) 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Preheat the oven to 325 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine coconut aminos, maple syrup, coconut oil and salt. stir to combine.
- Add the coconut flakes and gently stir to coat it with the mixture.
- Spread the coconut flakes in an even layer on the parchment paper, drizzle any excess liquid over the coconut.
- Bake for 12 minutes, stirring and flipping the flakes every 3-5 minutes until crispy and golden. Watch them carefully in the last few minutes asn they can be easily burnt.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes, it will continue to crisp as it cools.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
- Serving Size: 3 TBS
- Calories: 99
- Sugar: 3g
- Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 6.8g
- Fiber: 2.25
- Protein: <1g