This coconut curry soup is a simple one-pot recipe made with pantry staples like vegetable broth, coconut milk, root vegetables, and spices. This dish is vegan-friendly and is hearty enough to be served as a main dish.
This is an easy soup recipe and it’s a great addition to the menu because it’s made with simple ingredients that I almost always have on hand. This creamy coconut curry soup is very versatile and can be made with a variety of different root and fresh vegetables. If you’d like to add protein to this dish, tofu or chicken breast are great additions.
What I Love About This Coconut Soup Recipe…
- One Pot Dish
- Can Be Made In An Instant Pot
- Gluten Free
- Delicious Comfort Food
- Whole Family Approved
How To Make Coconut Curry Soup
First, gather your ingredients. For this vegetable coconut curry soup recipe you will need coconut oil, a medium onion, curry powder, vegetable or chicken broth, coconut milk, curry powder, and two pounds of root vegetables. A variety of root vegetables can be used for this recipe. I’ve used yellow potatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes, parsnips, and turnips.
Dice the onion and chop up the root vegetables. Then, in a large pot, dutch oven, or instant pot, melt the coconut oil over medium heat and sauté the onion until translucent.
Next, add in the root vegetables, curry powder, vegetable broth, and coconut cream. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Cover the coconut curry soup with a lid and reduce the heat to medium. Simmer the soup for 20-25 minutes or until the root vegetables are tender. Remove the pot from the heat and use an immersion blender to puree the soup.
Lastly, salt and pepper to taste and add a few tablespoons of coconut cream on top of each bowl of coconut curry soup. Garnish with green onions or cilantro.
About The Ingredients:
- Coconut Oil – Great plant-based oil for sautéing veggies. Highly recommend getting good-quality coconut oil for your kitchen. Some great substitutes for coconut oil would be butter, ghee or olive oil.
- Onion – Onion gives the coconut soup base it’s fresh flavor. Other types of onion like red onion and sweet onion may be used also.
- Yellow Curry Powder – Curry powder is the star spice of this soup and gives it a unique flavor. You may use yellow curry paste, green curry paste, or Thai red curry paste in place of the curry powder.
- Broth – Use your favorite broth for this delicious coconut curry soup. I enjoy using vegetable broth, but chicken stock is a great option too!
- Coconut Milk – Full fat coconut milk is the best type of coconut milk for this curry recipe. It creates a cream coconut broth that’s perfect. Cartoned or light coconut milk is too thin and will not thicken the soup properly. Here’s the best coconut milk to use.
- Root Vegetables – You will need two pounds of root vegetables for this soup. I used a mix yellow potatoes, parsnips, and carrots.
- Use Thai curry paste, fish sauce, fresh lime juice and cilantro to make a thai coconut curry soup. Serve with lime wedges.
- Make a coconut curry chicken soup recipe by adding rotisserie chicken.
- Serve the soup curry style over white or brown rice and add fresh vegetables likes snow peas, red bell pepper and fresh garlic.
You will want to refrigerate your leftover soup in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. I recommend pouring it in an airtight container with a lid or covered with plastic wrap.
Warm up the soup in the microwave or the stovetop for 5-10 minutes.
You can freeze this soup in an airtight container for up to three months. Thaw in the fridge overnight an reheat or eat cold.
Coconut Curry Soup Recipe
This coconut curry soup is a favorite recipe that’s quick and easy to make. This one-pot soup can be made in a dutch oven or instant pot!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 serving 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 pounds of yukon gold potatoes (chopped)
- 3 medium carrots (chopped)
- 1 medium parsnips (chopped)
- 1 small turnip (chopped)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- salt and pepper
Stove Top Instructions:
- Dice the onion and chop up the root vegetables.
- In a large pot or dutch oven, melt the coconut oil over medium heat and sauté the onion until translucent.
- Add in the root vegetables, curry powder, vegetable broth, and coconut cream.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer.
- Cover the soup with a lid and reduce the heat to medium.
- Simmer the soup for 20-25 minutes or until the root vegetables are tender.
- Remove the pot from the heat and use an immersion blender to puree the soup.
- Salt and pepper to taste and add a few tablespoons of coconut cream on top of each bowl of coconut curry soup. Garnish with green onions or cilantro.
Instant Pot Instructions:
Turn on the instant pot, select “saute” and add in the coconut oil.
Once the oil melts, add in the onion and cook until translucent.
Add chopped root vegetables, curry powder, broth, and coconut milk.
Close and lock lid. Turn Pressure Valve to the Sealing position and cook at high pressure for about your 15 minutes.
Once the cooking time is completed, vent to release the remaining pressure.
Open the lid and use an immersion blender to puree the soup.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 255
- Fat: 16.5g
- Carbohydrates: 24g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Protein: 3.5g