This coconut flour banana bread is not only gluten-free, but it’s grain-free, and dairy-free too! Made with coconut flour and honey, this bread is wholesome and nutritious!
There are literally thousands of banana bread recipes floating around out there; most containing both gluten and dairy. And while many might rise beautifully and maintain a fluffy and light consistency, they don’t necessarily sit well with our gut. So I was on a mission to bake coconut flour banana bread that would not only do good for our bodies but would taste great as well.
This coconut flour banana bread recipe is not only gluten-free, but it’s grain-free! Made with coconut flour and honey as a sweetener, this is without a doubt a ‘real food’ version of this favorite baked good. It is surprisingly moist and holds a beautiful banana and coconut flavor.
How To Make Coconut Flour Banana Bread
For this recipe you’ll need coconut flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, shredded coconut, eggs, apple sauce, coconut oil, vanilla extract, ripe bananas, and raw honey (or maple syrup). Feel free to add in your favorite banana bread extras like walnuts, flax seed, or blueberries.
To get started you’ll mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Then, in a separate bowl, use an electric mixer to mix the liquid ingredients together until combined. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry mixture until it forms a thick batter. Add in the nuts or chocolate chips (if using) and scoop the batter into a prepared loaf pan. Alternatively, you can pour the batter into muffin tins to make coconut flour banana muffins.
This gluten free banana bread has a lovely banana flavor with a soft bread texture. It tastes best topped with almond butter, or butter spread. This bread keeps for one week in the refrigerator or one month in the freezer.
If you’re looking for more coconut flour recipes, try my coconut flour bread, brownies or muffins!Print
Coconut Flour Banana Bread
This coconut flour banana bread is not only gluten-free, but it’s grain-free! Made with coconut flour and honey, this is bread is wholesome and
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 70 mins
- Total Time: 90 mins
- Yield: 1 loaf, 12 slices 1x
- Category: Bread
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- ¾ cup coconut flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- a dash or two of sea salt
- ¼ cup shredded coconut (plus a little extra to top the loaf)
- 3 pastured eggs
- ¼ cup apple sauce
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 medium bananas (ripe)
- ⅓ cup raw honey
- Preheat the oven to 300F.
- Lightly oil your bread pan. In addition to oiling the pan, I like to cut 2 strips of unbleached parchment paper and overlap them in a cross to cover the interior of the bread pan. This will help your bread lift out once it is baked.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a medium size bowl and set aside.
- Mash the bananas in a small bowl. I use a potato masher.
- In a small saucepan, melt the coconut oil on the stove top (and the honey if it is in a solid state).
- Finally, mix together all ingredients including the ones that you have not yet touched and the ones that you have set aside. Mix until well incorporated.
- Pour into the lined bread pan. Sprinkle extra shredded coconut over the loaf if you desire.
- Bake for 1hr and 10 minutes. Remove from the oven insert a toothpick into the loaf. If it does not come out cleanly, return the bread to the over for another 10 minutes and check again. Continue until the toothpick removes cleanly. Enjoy!
- An old fashioned aluminum bread pan works best. The lighter the pan the better as dark pans absorb the heat and often burn the loaf. Glass pans, while light, are actually the worst. They act as an insulator and over cook the bread.
- Over mixing, or mixing using beaters will create a dry and thick loaf.
- The riper the bananas, the better the loaf will taste.
- Preheat your oven for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 108 kcal
- Sugar: 10g
- Fat: 3.5g
- Carbohydrates: 17.5g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Protein: 3g
This recipe was originally published on May 23rd, 2016 and was updated and republished on February 21st, 2022.Links on this page may be affiliate links, for which the site earns a small commission, but the price for you is the same