This pumpkin coffee cake recipe is grain-free with sugar-free options. The base of this recipe is made with coconut flour and pumpkin puree and topped with a cinnamon crumble topping and homemade glaze.
Coffee cake is one of my favorite breakfast treats. I love the cinnamon swirls, icing, and how this cake pairs perfectly with a cup of coffee. My coconut flour coffee cake is usually my go-to recipe, but I decided to add fall flair to the mix and added pumpkin and more spices.
The result is a very moist and decadent cake with a sweet crumble topping. I tested this recipe with both paleo sweeteners and keto-friendly sweeteners, and both turned out perfect.
How To Make Pumpkin Coffee Cake
You will need coconut flour, baking soda, baking powder, sea salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, clove, pumpkin puree, coconut sugar, maple syrup, coconut oil, eggs, and coconut milk for this recipe.
To begin, you’ll combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix well and set aside.
In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients together. Then, pour the web batter into the flour mixture. The batter will be thick and sticky.
Pour the batter into a greased 9inch pan. Next, make the crumble topping. Crumble the topping over the top of the pumpkin coffee cake and bake.
Allow to cake to cool completely before topping it with the vanilla glaze.
To make the vanilla glaze, you will mix the powdered sugar with milk and vanilla. Pour the glaze over the top of the cake evenly. Serve and enjoy!
How To Make This Cake Keto-Friendly
This recipe can easily be converted to a keto-friendly recipe by using sugar-free sweetener like swerve brown sugar instead of coconut sugar.
If you like this pumpkin coffee cake, then check out my other pumpkin recipes like my Keto Pumpkin Spice Latte, Pumpkin Mug Cake, and my Coconut Flour Pumpkin Bread!
It’s all about the streusel topping – flour (in this case, coconut flour), butter, and sugar. And hey, a little seasonal topping never hurt!
Yes, your batter should definitely be thicker. Coffee cake batter is generally thicker than cake batter, and coconut flour will make it even more so. As you can see from the pictures above, there are plenty of lumps still in the batter, so don’t over mix it aiming for a totally smooth consistency.
You do NOT need to sift flour for this coffee cake recipe (although I see it in plenty of other recipes). Generally you sift flour to try and get a finer texture, but this coffee is already plenty fine in my opinion. However, if you DO sift flour and find it’s helpful, leave a comment below, and I’ll be sure to share it!
Pumpkin Coffee Cake (Paleo & Keto)
This pumpkin coffee cake recipe is grain-free with sugar-free options. The base of this coffee cake is made with coconut flour and pumpkin puree and topped with a cinnamon crumble topping and homemade glaze.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45-55 minutes
- Total Time: 1hr 20 minutes
- Yield: 10 slices 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
Crumble Topping Ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or swerve sweetener)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or butter, cold
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
Pumpkin Coffee Cake Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon clove
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or swerve brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or lakanto maple sweetnener
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 4 eggs
Vanilla Glaze Ingredients:
- 1 cup powdered sugar (I used powdered coconut sugar. You can use powdered swerve sugar too)
- 1–2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Grease a 9-inch round or squat pan with coconut oil.
- Crumble Topping Directions: In a small bowl, mix the coconut flour, coconut sugar, pecans, cinnamon and coconut oil together. Use a fork to cut the cold coconut oil into the crumble mix.
- Coffee Cake Instructions: Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the wet ingredients together.
- Pour the web ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir until the batter is well mixed. The coffee cake batter will be thick.
- Spread the batter evenly over the greased pan.
- Sprinkle the cake with the crumble topping.
- Bake the cake for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let the cake cool completely before adding the glaze.
- Vanilla Glaze Instructions: Whisk the powdered sugar (I used powdered lakanto sugar, but homemade powdered sugar from coconut sugar will work too), 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, and one tablespoon of coconut milk together until smooth.
- Add more milk to thin if needed. Pour the glaze over the top of the coffee cake. Slice and serve.
Nutritional data based on cake made with coconut sugar, no keto sweeteners.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 378
- Fat: 23.5g
- Carbohydrates: 37.8g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Protein: 5.4g
Related recipes: Coconut Flour Cake, Coconut Flour Coffee Cake, and Keto Mug Cake.Links on this page may be affiliate links, for which the site earns a small commission, but the price for you is the same