Did you know you can diffuse essential oils in the shower? These shower steamers can be used daily to reap the aromatic benefits of essential oils while you shower. You only need a few ingredients to make them!
I love taking baths (especially detox baths), but I don’t get to enjoy them as often as I’d like with three kids and a busy schedule. I miss relaxing in the bath with Epsom salts and essential oils. The combo relaxes me and helps me to sleep better at night.
Recently I started using shower steamers in my shower, and I have to say I like them a lot! Though I don’t get the benefits of the Epsom salts, I do get the benefits of the oils, and it’s incredible! All you have to do is place a shower steamer on the shower floor and let the hot water diffuser the oils.
Shower steamers can be used daily to support respiratory health. They also come in handy when you’re fighting off the sniffles or want some respiratory support. The heat from the shower helps to open up the nasal passage, while the essential oils offer support to help clear congestion in your sinuses.
I also like to add peppermint shower steamers to my shower when I wake up in the morning and lavender shower bombs when I want to relax and unwind in the evening. Shower steamers are versatile and can be customized to support your needs!
Essential Oils for Shower Steamers
Below are some of my favorite essential oils to use to make homemade shower steamers:
- Peppermint & Eucalyptus: This combination is called eucalyptus mint and is my go-to when I have a stuffy nose. Use 10-15 drops of each oil in the recipe.
- Lavender: Lavender promote restful sleep and is a great oil to use in your daily routine.
- Vanilla & Lavender (15 drops of Vanilla and 10 drops lavender essential oil), this mix is very relaxing and helps with stress relief.
- Grapefruit & Lime (15 drops each). This smells AMAZING!! This blend of scents is invigorating and energizing!
- Use your favorite essential oil blends to make your shower steamers! Please use pure essential oils and avoid using synthetic fragrances.
How To Use
Place the shower steamer tablet at the bottom of your bathroom shower. As the hot water hits it, the essential oils will diffuse in the shower steam. If you don’t use the whole diffuser disc, you can store the wet disc in a container and reuse it.
Aromatherapy Shower Steamers
DIY essential oil shower steamers recipe is made with natural ingredients so you can enjoy a spa like experience every time you take a shower!
- 1 1/2 cups baking soda
- 2 Tablespoons corn starch
- Water or witch hazel
- Essential Oils
- Mix the baking soda and corn starch in a bowl, ensuring there aren’t any clumps.
- Slowly add water to the mixture, one tablespoon at a time.
- The baking soda and starch mixture should be a thick paste. I added a little over 1/3 cup of water. Note: Witch hazel or hydrosol can also be used instead of water.
- Add 15-20 drops of essential oil(s) of choice to the mixture.
- Mix well and pour into silicon baking cups, mini muffin tins, or use your favorite mold.
- Let the shower steamers dry for 24 hours.
- Store them in an air-tight container or ziplock bag to keep freshness.
Originally published on September 21st, 2015 and updated with new images on May 11th, 2022.As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.