Turmeric milk (aka golden milk) is an Ayurvedic beverage that helps to reduce inflammation, joint pain and boosts the immune system.
Golden turmeric milk is a powerfully anti-inflammatory & nourishing beverage packed with antioxidants. This turmeric milk recipe is an amazing drink my family and I enjoy drinking before bed. I always sleep so well when I make this in the evenings.
Health Benefits of Turmeric
Turmeric is a golden-yellow spice originally from India and is one of my favorite all-time, multi-talented remedies for many different ailments. I try to use it daily in my cooking or always make a cup of turmeric milk before I go to get. While I could write several blog posts on the benefits of turmeric, I’m going to limit myself and mention just a few below.
- Joint Pain: The anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric are ideal for treating rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. Its antioxidant property also kills free radicals in the body which cause damage to cells.
- Immune Support: Turmeric contains a substance known as lipopolysaccharide that helps to stimulate the immune system of the body. Its antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral agents help to strengthen the immune system. A strong immune system will reduce the chances of suffering from coughs, flu or cold. If you get cold or flu, you should mix one teaspoon of turmeric powder in a glass of warm milk and drink it once a day.
- Brain Health: Turmeric helps in memory and brain health. By taking turmeric, you can improve oxygen intake of the brain which helps it all brain processes and functions. When your brain is working at its best, hormones such as serotonin and melatonin increase.
Turmeric Milk Ingredients
- 2 cups of coconut milk (you can also easily make your own coconut milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon of clove
- 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract (add this DIY vanilla extract recipe to your to-do list!)
- 1-2 tablespoons of raw honey
How To Make Turmeric Milk
I season my golden milk up with warming spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove. These spices work synergically to balance the bold flavor of turmeric. If you want to make a golden milk mix that you can use whenever you’re craving turmeric, try my turmeric milk latte mix!
To get started you’ll need milk (I use coconut milk), raw honey or maple syrup, vanilla extract, and herbs. When using turmeric, make sure to add black pepper. This will enhance the bioavailability of turmeric, making it easy for your body to absorb the curcumin.
Golden Milk (Turmeric Tea Recipe)
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- 2 cups of Coconut Milk (buy here)
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Turmeric (buy here)
- Pinch of Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/8 Teaspoon of Nutmeg
- 1/8 Teaspoon of Clove
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 1–2 Tablespoons of Raw Honey (buy here)
- Warm coconut milk in a small sauce pan over low heat.
- Mix in turmeric, spices, vanilla and honey.
- Stir well.
- Pour into two cups and enjoy!
This blog post was originally published on April 6th, 2019 and has been continuously updated since.Links on this page may be affiliate links, for which the site earns a small commission, but the price for you is the same