10 Ways To Add Coconut Oil Into Your Diet & Daily Life

10 Ways to Get More Coconut Oil into your Diet

You’ve read how amazing coconut oil is…

You know it speeds up the metabolism, boosts the immune system, reduces inflammation, kills fungi, yeast and bacteria, improves calcium and magnesium absorption and supports the development of strong bones and teeth, improves digestion and bowel function, supports thyroid function, helps to prevent wrinkles and sagging skin, and can improve the look and health of your hair.

How do I add this wonderful oil into my diet?

This is a question I get asked quite often. So I decided to list a few different ways you can add this wonderful oil into your life.

1. Cooking With Coconut Oil

This is the most common way people use coconut oil. Use coconut oil in all your cooking. Replace your other cooking oils (like canola, corn or all purpose vegetable oils, which are toxic) with virgin or expeller pressed coconut oil. You can also bake with coconut oil too! If you check out my recipes page, you will see that I use coconut oil in almost all my baking! Find quality Coconut Oil here.

2. Add Coconut Oil To Smoothies, Yogurt, Soups and Hot Drinks

Aside from cooking, you can add coconut oil into your smoothies, coffee or tea, yogurt and homemade bone broth. Just make sure to gently melt your coconut oil and slowly pour and stir it into your smoothies and yogurt. This will help the coconut oil from clumping in your cold goodies! The coconut oil will melt when added to hot drinks or soups.

3. Make Coconut Oil Candy

Coconut oil candy is by far the most yummy way to enjoy coconut oil! Its also a great way to get your kids to eat coconut oil too! My favorite coconut oil candy recipe is my Coconut Oil Chocolate Bars!

4. Use Coconut Oil As A Moisturizer

This is one of my favorite ways to use coconut oil! Your skin will be super soft and smooth from using coconut oil. I’ve exclusively used virgin coconut oil as a moisturizer for my daughter from the day she was born! No need to purchase lotions, which can have toxic ingredients! Also, did you know that what you put on your skin can absorbs straight into your blood stream? If you wouldn’t eat it, don’t put in on your skin! Coconut oil can also be used in place of diaper rash cream! My daughter has had 3-4 diaper rashes and every time she’s had one I applied Virgin Coconut Oil to the rash and within 24 hours the rash was gone!

5. Brush Your Teeth With Coconut Oil

This may sound odd to some of you, but coconut oil works great for cleaning your mouth and teeth. Remember, coconut oil kills bacteria! Mix coconut oil with sea salt and baking soda and use like you would toothpaste. If you don’t want to exclusively use coconut oil for brushing your teeth you can use it after or before brushing your teeth too. I rub coconut oil on my toothbrush then add my toothpaste and brush my teeth. I do this for my daughter as well!

6. Deodorant

You can use coconut oil as a deodorant! You can also make a homemade deodorant made with coconut oil. Try my recipe here.

7. Coconut Bath Oil & Salt Scrub

Add a teaspoon of coconut oil to your bath and use as you would any bath oil or make a salt scrub using 1 part virgin coconut oil and 1 part salt. I made some this week and my family loves it! We used real sea salt, as it is the only salt I use, but you can use any salt.

8. Coconut Oil Hair Treatment

Use a tablespoon of Virgin Coconut Oil and massage your hair and scalp. Leave it in for at least an hour, then wash hair. This can be done 1-3 times a week. The coconut oil will nourish your scalp and hair and will help your scalp from drying and your hair from breaking.

9. Drink Coconut Milk

Enjoy a glass of raw homemade coconut milk! When you make homemade coconut milk you will see and taste the coconut oil in the milk. The coconut oil will bead up in fresh cold coconut milk (making it easy to extract and use if you want to). Use fresh coconut milk as a beverage, in smoothies, baking (can be used in place of milk in some recipes), and in soups!

10. Oil Pulling

From Coconut Research Center, “Some people think I’m crazy when I tell them that oil pulling can help those with asthma, allergies, chronic fatigue, diabetes, migraine headaches, PMS, and chronic skin problems. Oil pulling works by detoxifying or cleansing the body. In this way, disease promoting toxins are removed, thus allowing the body to heal itself. As a consequence, health problems of all types improve.” To oil pull, all you have to do is use Virgin Coconut Oil like mouthwash. Swoosh for 15-20 minutes a day. Read more about Oil Pulling here.

Resources:
Coconut Oil Miracle by Dr. Bruce Fife

Coconut Research Center

• Jill@RealFoodForager.com September 19, 2011, 6:52 pm

Thanks for linking your great post to FAT TUESDAY. Great information! Hope to see you next week!

• Brandon September 19, 2011, 6:52 pm

Great article. I have tried oil pulling once, and am going to continue with it again for this entire week and see what happens. Didn't know we could use coconut oil for our teeth!

• EmptyNester September 20, 2011, 6:57 am

Every day I visit here you provide wonderful information. I just can't tell you how much I appreciate your efforts!

• Linda September 20, 2011, 11:35 am

Great ideas!! For the bath salts do you think the coconut oil could be mixed with Epsom salts for an added benefit? Thanks for sharing!

• Tiffany - The Coconut Mama September 20, 2011, 11:43 am

@ Empty Nester – Thank You for stopping by! Your comments mean so much to me =)

• Tiffany - The Coconut Mama September 20, 2011, 11:44 am

@ Linda – Yes, Epsom salts would work great too! Thanks for stopping by =)

• StakiMama September 22, 2011, 2:35 pm

Some great tips, I was wondering if the oil pulling is ok to do while breast feeding? I looked all over that site but couldn't see any further information. Thanks.

• Tiffany - The Coconut Mama September 22, 2011, 4:24 pm

I asked Bruce Fife's wife your question on Facebook and this is what she said, “Oil pulling while breast feeding is NO PROBLEM. It doesn't go into your milk. It's so subtle that most people don't notice any detox symptoms. Bruce and I never have. = )”

• StakiMama September 23, 2011, 3:32 am

Cheers!

• Ruth @ Ruth's Real Food September 25, 2011, 1:09 pm

I've been oil pulling for a year and a half and I really believe in it. When I don't do it, my gums start bleeding after a while.

I’d love you to take part of my Monday blog hop at Ruth’s Real Food.

• iphone 5 preview September 30, 2011, 9:17 pm

Everything is quite open and quite clear explanation of problems. was truly data. Your web site is quite useful. Many thanks for sharing.

• Eli Bruntz October 11, 2011, 10:45 am

“Love is only a dirty trick played on us to achieve continuation of the species.” ~ W. Somerset Maugham

• jeanne January 2, 2012, 4:50 am

Won’t the coconut oil that goes down the drain cause a clog when it hardens?

• The Coconut Mama January 2, 2012, 8:51 pm

We haven’t had any trouble with it.

• Lolly October 28, 2013, 10:59 pm

I wouldn’t put any oil or fat straight-way down the drain as it will clog at some point.

• Christian March 4, 2012, 3:20 pm

Can I use coconut milk for oil pulling detoxification? Here in Argentina, Buenos Aires, coconut oil is hard to find in the market so I make my own coconut milk fron coconut fruit or shredded coconut. Coconut oil is too much work to make at home from coconuts¡

• The Coconut Mama March 4, 2012, 8:30 pm

Hi Christian. I’m not sure if coconut milk works like coconut oil does. I will ask around and see if I can find more information for you.

• Christian March 5, 2012, 11:18 am

I will grateful if you could get that answer! As coconut milk is 85% fat , I assumed it would useful for oil pulling. I look forward to the results of your inquiry.

Thanks again!

• The Coconut Mama March 6, 2012, 3:22 pm

From Health By Coconut Facebook Page – “Any fat will do nicely, however there are benefits in coconut fat that aren’t in any other fats. Coconut milk, coconut cream is very fatty and a great alternative when oil can’t be found. = )”.

Looks like you can use any high quality oil, like olive oil or sesame oil, but coconut fat is best.

• Christian March 6, 2012, 3:14 pm

I would be grateful if you could get that answer! As coconut milk is 85% fat , I assumed it would be useful for oil pulling. I look forward to the results of your inquiry.

Thanks again!

• Christian March 7, 2012, 12:16 am

Thanks a lot Coconut Mama . I go for that spoonful of coconut milk!

Best regards,

Christian

• kristyreal May 31, 2012, 3:45 pm

I love your site and all the coconut recipes. I use coconut oil as the base for all my medicinal balms or salves. I also use it to condition my wood cutting board and to lubricate my knife for sharpening.

One note: be sure to use virgin coconut oil for making deodorant (or as deodorant) because refined CO will stain clothes while unrefined does not.

• body scrub July 4, 2012, 1:22 am

Good day! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a
    quick shout out and say I truly enjoy reading your
    articles. Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same subjects?
    Thank you!

• guest March 4, 2013, 5:18 pm

You mentioned cocnut oil is a cold sore healer.  What do you do with it for this purpose?

• Christine L. July 8, 2013, 11:38 am

Apply it to your cold sores. If it is inside your mouth, apply oil pulls.

• Linda Muldoon December 12, 2013, 9:52 pm

Hi I have used coconut oil for a long time but it made .my daughters cold sore worse I checked Carolyn Deans book and it does say not to use it on cold sores just thought I would pass my experience on

• Linda Muldoon December 12, 2013, 9:56 pm

Sorry not Carolyn Dean I meant Bruce Fife!

• Sue Hanson March 11, 2013, 8:14 am

I put coconut oil in my morning coffee since last spring.  I have not had chapped lips (a chronic problem in Minnesota during our cold winters) at all this season.  My skin looks a lot better and I don’t have morning brain fog anymore.

• Jane September 6, 2013, 6:03 pm

I too, live in MN, south of the cities. Thanks for the hint for chapped lips, I will be using it come this winter.

• Robin March 25, 2014, 4:50 am

I am nervous to add some to my latte, I keep thinking the oil will just separate. I think I’ll add some when I get to the end and just gulp it down.

• Sue Hanson March 11, 2013, 8:14 am

Love your website, by the way.

• Sara Chambers-Moss April 22, 2013, 8:04 pm

Great roundup of ways to use coconut oil! I’ll be featuring it on my Facebook page – http://www.facebook.com/SimpleDailyChange – on Tuesday, April 23rd, at 8am PST.

• Kendahl @ Our Nourishing Roots April 25, 2013, 9:49 am

Great list! I love to fry anything I can get my hands in in coconut oil. Nom nom nom

• wildmoonheart May 11, 2013, 3:29 pm

Hi, How much oil do you add in a typical day to your smoothies/etc? I dont want to over do it! 1 teas maybe 2 x a day? Thanks, and I love your site!

• Lou June 21, 2013, 11:12 pm

Coconut Oil Chocolate Bars

What a great idea combining two of the most healthful foods on planet earth in a scandalously delicious treat. This is the way to health.

• DebInOH July 7, 2013, 6:39 am

Unfortunately, if you are a blood type “O”, Dr. D’Adamo of Eat Right 4 Your Type advises that coconut meat/milk/oil is considered a no-no ( unless you are a non-secretor – then it is neutral ) : AVOID: Enhances effect of other food toxins. Flocculates serum or precipitates serum proteins.

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama July 7, 2013, 3:27 pm

I don’t promote Eat Right 4 Your Type diet. I believe in real-traditional food. Coconut oil is a traditional fat/food used by people for thousands of years.

Book Review: Eat Right 4 Your Type

• DebInOH July 7, 2013, 5:07 pm

Thank you for taking the time to clarify your position !

• Pauly Biesecker August 16, 2013, 10:15 pm

I agree with Tiffany. No matter what blood type you are coconut oil and products are extremely healthy for you.

• Tammi July 7, 2013, 3:16 pm

Does cooking with coconut oil make your food taste like coconut? What about popping popcorn with it?

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama July 7, 2013, 3:28 pm

You can use coconut oil for popping popcorn (I’m planning on posting my recipe for that in the next week or so). I don’t use virgin coconut oil for cooking because it does make everything taset like coconut. We use organic refined coconut oil – no coconut flavor!

• Pauly Biesecker August 16, 2013, 10:13 pm

I use it to pop popcorn all the time my kids like it better than with regular oil. Put a little bit of garlic salt and your good to go.

• Jazzy Ann Smith July 8, 2013, 11:13 am

shoot I have to buy the book just to make the deodorant ?? No thanks I can get my sis in law’s recipe for free on her website.

• Mayer July 13, 2013, 7:58 pm

What about the coconut itself? The coconut “water” and the “white meat” inside a coconut. Do they also replace e.g. the oil?

• Victoria Klingonsmit September 6, 2013, 12:38 pm

the recipes link under #1 doesnt work.

• Lou September 22, 2013, 2:43 pm

How do I add this wonderful oil into my diet?

If you are trying to lose weight do as I do. I keep a pint organic cocoanut oil on my kitchen counter and eat a COLD spoonful between meals. This will decrease your appetite at meal time. The high calorie content of the cocoanut FAT will encourage the burning of body FAT.

Yeah it is counter intuitive. Just try it for ONE week and check YOUR results. You may need to be a results ONLY caveman to do this. LOL!

• gettinhealthy October 24, 2013, 3:40 am

Love the article … I mix one Tbsp coc oil with 1 tsp chia seeds 1tsp flax seeds and spread on a veggie cracker … delicious snack!

• namaste December 10, 2013, 3:22 pm

My two favorite ways to add coconut oil to my diet is to add it to my morning oatmeal and drizzle it over my popcorn. It makes my organic steel cut oatmeal nice and creamy, and my popcorn tastes surprisingly buttery :)

• ellen December 18, 2013, 2:27 pm

Does it matter if you use unrefined or refined coconut oil?? Thanks.

• Nancy A, December 29, 2013, 2:25 am

I love all your ideas for using coconut oil! I have been using it some and just love it. I tried to make my own coconut milk and after it was in the fridge to chill, it got so hard I couldn’t stir it or shake it or anything! It was not usable! Any ideas what I could do different?

• Arlene Hanshew February 5, 2014, 4:19 pm

LIKE COCONUT IN ALL FORMS

• Kat February 18, 2014, 10:38 am

Are you using the same type of coconut oil for the cooking that you would for the different personal care items? If not, where would you get one opposed to the other? (I’ve bought coconut oil in grocery store, but have never used it for things like hair etc.)

• Liz April 13, 2014, 9:53 am

I just love you site I am a Caribbean girl. love coconuts we use it a lot in the Caribbean.we get the chance to drink fresh coconut water everyday. but I didn’t realize there so much more you can do with coconut just enjoy reading all your wonderful ideas.

• Carol Anne Catron June 3, 2014, 4:48 pm

I just started using pure virgin coconut oil for it’s health benefits. I had read in many articles that 3 tbsp. a day would heal me and make me feel better but, none of those articles told me how to take it and I couldn’t see how just cooking in it would get me 3 tbsp. a day. So, first I tried to just eat the spoonfuls which made me gag to the point of almost throwing it up. Now, I’m using it in place of margarine/butter on toast and sandwiches. I enjoyed your ideas on other ways to add it into my diet and will try them and thought you might enjoy my idea as well. Cheers! :)

• Graham Ansell July 25, 2014, 2:36 am

Coconut or Coconut oil isn’t good for everyone, I’ve been consuming it on and off for years, always organic, and the oil virgin raw, but all coconut products give be dry, itchy red, and swollen eyes within minutes of consuming it, which is a shame as I love coconut,. When the oil is applied to my scan it goes scaly and dry, and it looks like eczema ,, hmmm why is the world so cruel, glad most people are enjoying the benefits though.

• Laura August 6, 2014, 12:32 pm

As a makeup remover! It is the BEST!!!!

• Anon August 6, 2014, 7:06 pm

I add a spoonful to breakfast cereal. However, my children and I cannot use coconut oil on our skin or hair as it reacts and smells absolutely awful – something like the fumes from an electrical fire – and the smell lingers strongly for weeks despite rigorous daily scubbing. It was very embarrassing. Two other friends I know have this same issue, though I do know a few people who use coconut oil topically with no smell. It doesn’t matter what brand is used. Just a caution – test a tiny spot first, and ask someone else if they can smell anything weird, too, in case your nose doesn’t register it.

• Vicci September 5, 2014, 3:27 am

Hi Anon, not sure if you’ve tried this yet but if you apply the shampoo to scalp with no water first it will break down the oils & the shampoo scent is most potent. All you do is apply the shampoo to your scalp and massage. Add a bit of water on your hands. Just enough to get a small lather to pull through to the ends. Once you have the shampoo throughout your entire hair just leave it sit for a few minutes then rinse thoroughly. Hope this helps!

• Jonothan August 8, 2014, 10:53 am

Some really great uses of oil! Personally I use coconut oil as a face moisturizer or if I have an exczema! And eat a tablespoon most days because it has great detoxifying properties!

But my all time favourite uses for Oil have to be Oil Pulling and Hot Oil Hair Treatments! I have been doing both for years and the benefits really are incredible if you do them regularly

• Mary August 11, 2014, 8:35 am

I always just eat a spoonful of Coconut Oil first thing on a morning! But I’ll definitely try adding to to my smoothies and green tea! Yum.

• kathy August 28, 2014, 9:01 am

Thanks, I have been looking for this post for quite a while. Leaving posts all over the internet in hopes that someone could tell me how to use coconut oil.
    i am resharing this information.

• Rachel August 31, 2014, 1:04 pm

You said that you only use sea salt and I have heard that Himalayan Pink Salt is great for you. Any reason why you don’t use it?

• Tina September 5, 2014, 4:25 am

I just want to say I am a big coconut oil advocate. I’m an RN and have many friends turn to me for advice… Coconut oil is always one thing I tell them to use… As for my personal use, I use it to treat fibro, hypothyroidism, and to shrink (along with a few other supplements) a ‘growth’ in my L lung. plus a few other health issues. I put it in my dog’s food and since doing so there are no more hotspots they would get when shedding and scratching. Plus their coats are now shiny and softer than normal… I am a true believer in all the good coconut oil provides… and it tastes so good! I use it as butter, cooking oil, in my health and beauty products and am now wanting to start making homemade soaps… If I were stranded on a desert island with only a coconut tree… I know I’d be rescued with my health intact… :)

• Brenda Troyer September 5, 2014, 6:09 am

Because of your article on Oil Pulling, I have started to do it twice a day. I have worked up to 5 min per time. We do not use Coconut Oil for cooking/eating. I am interested in starting. Is it possible to eat too much?

• Priscilla September 6, 2014, 4:54 am

What kind of coconut oil do you buy for health problems? I have Lyme’s disease and was wondering if helps that? Oh and how much do you use in one day?