This coconut milk hot chocolate is rich and creamy! This delicious dairy-free treat is topped with coconut cream and dusted with cocoa powder.
We can’t have Christmas without hot chocolate. Coconut milk makes a perfect dairy-free alternative to milk in hot chocolate. It’s rich and creamy and balances well with the cocoa powder.
If you’re looking for a dairy-free hot chocolate recipe, give this one a try!
I made this for my kids the other night and they loved it! I topped some of the hot chocolates with whipped cream and others with marshmallows. Below is a photo of my daughter with her cup of hot chocolate. 🙂
How To Make Coconut Milk Hot Chocolate
- Measuring cups
- Small Saucepan
Step one: Open a can of full-fat coconut milk and scoop it into a small saucepan. Add in the cocoa powder and chocolate chips. I used stevia-sweetened chocolate chips, but regular chocolate works perfectly as well.
Step 2: Bring the coconut milk hot chocolate to a light simmer and remove from the heat. Add in vanilla extract and stir. Pour the cocoa into mugs and top with marshmallows, coconut whipped cream, or whatever topping you like.
This recipe makes enough to serve 4 people. You can easily double the recipe to serve more if needed.Print
Coconut Milk Hot Chocolate
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 7 minutes
- Yield: 4 cups 1x
- Category: Beverages
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 13.4 ounce cans of coconut milk
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons organic cocoa powder
- 1/3 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Open the cans of coconut milk and scoop the coconut cream and milk into a small saucepan.
- Add the chocolate chips and cocoa powder to the coconut milk.
- Use a whisk to stir the mixture together.
- Bring to a simmer and remove from heat.
- Add in the vanilla extract and stir until incorporated into the hot chocolate.
- Serve the hot chocolate warm and topped with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
Nutrition info based on using sugar-free chocolate chips.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 436
- Fat: 38.2g
- Carbohydrates: 22.5g (13.5 net carbs)
- Fiber: 6.9g
- Protein: 5.6g