Why buy vapor rub from the store when you can make a non-toxic coconut oil chest rub in the comfort of your home!
I’m not a big fan of some over the counter products and pain relievers. Most of them tend to have hidden ingredients or substances like petroleum or parabens which are both known carcinogens! Herbs and oils are very powerful and can give the same relief as OTC products, but without toxic chemicals or negative side effects.
Ready to try out some natural chest rubs? Below are two recipes for making coconut oil chest rub: one for adults and one that is safe for children.
Why Two Recipes?
Essential oils can be 10,000 to 100,000 times more potent than the herb itself. My chest rub recipe for children uses eucalyptus and peppermint herbs instead of essential oils for safety. Then I added lavender and chamomile essential oils to the rub for their calming effects. These essential oils are considered safe for children. You can learn more about safety with essential oils for children here.
Coconut Oil Chest Rub Recipe
My recipe for Adult Chest Rub is very effective and does contain eucalyptus (on caution list for young children). Please don’t use this recipe on children 10 and under.Print
Coconut Oil Chest Rub (Adults)
Skip the Vicks and make your own coconut oil chest rub instead! This will save you money and you won’t expose your family to petroleum or toxic ingredients!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 Cup 1x
- 1 cup Coconut Oil
- 5 Drops Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- 5 Drops Peppermint Essential Oi
- 2–3 Drops Rosemary Essential Oil
- 2–3 Drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Beeswax Pastilles
- Melt beeswax in a double boiler over low heat.
- Once melted mix in coconut oil and allow the rub to cool enough that it’s not hot to the touch but not solid.
- Add essential oils and mix well. Pour into jar or container.
This recipe uses a mixture of herbs and essential oils that are safe for children.Print
Coconut Oil Chest Rub (Children)
This recipe uses a mixture of herbs and essential oils that are safe for children.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 96 hours
- Total Time: 96 hours 5 minutes
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil
- 1/4 ounce Dried Peppermint Leaves
- 1/4 ounce Dried Eucalyptus Leaves
- 5 Drops Lavender, Frankincense or German Chamomile
- Melt coconut oil over low heat in a small saucepan.
- Mix the dried peppermint and eucalyptus leaves with the warm coconut oil.
- Turn off the heat and let the leaves infuse with the warm coconut oil for 3-4 hours.
- Now it’s time to strain the herbs. If the coconut oil has solidified simply re-heat it over low heat and strain the leaves.
- Add essential oils and mix well.Pour into jar or container.
You May Also Like:
- Calendula Infused Coconut Oil
- Coconut Oil Bath Melts
- The Best Coconut Oil You Can Buy
- How to Make Coconut Oil
Both of my chest rubs are designed to soothe and comfort. Please remember that the information I have provided in his blog post is for informational and educational purposes only, and is not to be construed as medical advice or instruction. Please consult your physician or a qualified health professional on any matters regarding your health and well being or on any opinions expressed within this website.