This healing calendula infused coconut oil can be used as a body lotion, a base to use in your homemade deodorant or face serum and much more!
Coconut oil is used year round in my home for both cooking and topical use. It’s high in antioxidants which helps to repair free radical damaged skin and also prevents further degeneration of skin; by far one of the best carrier oils to use on your skin! People with diverse skin irritations have experienced amazing results using coconut oil in the skin.
I infuse different herbs and essential oils with coconut oil throughout the year to keep my skin feeling soft and healthy. I also make rubs and salves to have on hand to apply to cuts, scraps or rashes.
This summer I spent some time learning about the healing benefits of calendula and made infused calendula oil, lotion and healing salve.
Calendula is most notably used for skin, and for good reason! Its oil has anti-inflammatory properties that are extremely beneficial to use on damaged, inflamed, dry, cracked or chapped skin.
Calendula infused coconut oil is safe to use on all skin types, even babies. Actually, it makes a great baby lotion!
How To Make Calendula Infused Coconut Oil
There are two ways to make calendula infused coconut oil:
Option 1: This method will take up to 6 weeks to make. You’ll need dried organic calendula flowers and virgin coconut oil.
- All you have to do is fill a glass jar 3/4 way full of dried calendula leaves and then fill the whole jar up with coconut oil (you’ll need to gently melt it at a very low heat if it’s solid – or you can use fractionated coconut oil).
- Keep the jar out in the sun and swirl the mixture around every 2-3 days.
- After approximately 6 weeks the oil will be ready. All you have to do then is strain the dried calendula flowers from the infused oil.
Option 2: This method will take 6-8 hours. You’ll need a double boiler and a thermometer.
- Pour the dried calendula flowers into the double boiler.
- Cover the flowers with coconut oil.
- Keep the oil at 115-120 degrees F for 6-8 hours.
- The coconut oil will turn a beautiful bright yellow color.
This method is quicker, but the heat may damage some of the healing properties of coconut oil and calendula.
How To Use Calendula Infused Coconut Oil
The recipe below is my favorite use for calendula infused coconut oil. I use this salve on the bottom of my feet and on my dry skin throughout the winter.
Calendula Infused Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Cup Calendula Infused Coconut Oil
- 1/4 Cup Beeswax
- 20 Drops Lavender Essential Oil
- Melt the beeswax over low heat over a double boiler.
- Once melted, take off the heat and add the calendula coconut oil.
- Stir the oil and beeswax together.
- Add essential oils and mix again until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into glass container.