Coconut rice is made worldwide and is prepared in many different ways. I enjoyed this dish in Hawaii and Mexico, served with tropical fruit and fish.
We served coconut rice along with Coconut Curry Chicken, Thai Coconut Soup, Teriyaki Chicken, and as a dessert with fresh mango and pineapple. This recipe is one of my family’s favorite recipes. It ends up on our menu several times a month.
Coconut Rice Recipe
To prepare your rice, you’ll first want to rinse the rice with cool water until the water runs clear.
Next, combine the coconut rice, coconut cream, honey, salt, and 2 cups of filtered water in a medium pot. Bring the coconut rice to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low, and let it simmer.
Cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed for about 40 minutes.
Fluff and stir the rice with a fork and cover with a lid and let it cool for 10 minutes before serving. The coconut cream and honey will caramelize, leaving parts of the rice brown. Serve as a side dish and top with fresh cilantro and fresh lime juice. Enjoy your homemade coconut rice!
Coconut rice ingredients:
- Rice – I used Lundberg Jasmine Rice, which is eco-friendly and tested for arsenic. Basmati, long-grain rice, and white rice can be used in place of jasmine.
- Coconut Cream is the thick cream on top of canned full-fat coconut milk. It’s best to refrigerate the canned coconut milk overnight before removing the cream. You can also purchase coconut cream in cartons and cans. Learn more about coconut cream and coconut milk here. I don’t suggest using different milk for this recipe. The coconut milk gives the coconut rice its coconut flavor. (Or you can just buy the coconut cream directly.)
- Honey/Date Sugar – This ingredient is optional but it gives this dish a delicious sweet flavor and goes well with Thai dishes and desserts. Organic cane sugar can be used in place of honey if you prefer.
Coconut rice is made all over the word and is prepared in many different ways. I enjoyed this dish in Hawaii and Mexico served with tropical fruit and fish.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 cups Jasmine Rice
- 1 cup Coconut Cream
- 1 Tablespoons Honey or Date Sugar (optional)
- 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- Rinse the rice with cool water until the water runs clear.
- Combine the rice, coconut cream, honey, salt and 2 cups of filtered water in a medium saucepan.
- Bring the coconut rice to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low.
- Cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 40 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and cover and let it cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- This recipe can be made in a rice cooker. Just add all the ingredients to the cooker and follow the rice cooker instructions.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 456
- Fat: 13g
- Carbohydrates: 77g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 6g