Grain Free Coconut Flour FlatBread

Grain Free Coconut Flour Flatbread

I thought I’d start the new year off with a fun recipe for grain free coconut flour flatbread.  This recipe makes two pieces of flat bread, enough for one sandwich. The bread comes together very easily and bakes for only 10 minutes!

Grain Free Coconut Flour Flatbread

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Mix coconut flour, sea salt, and baking powder together until combined.
  3. Add egg and melted coconut oil and mix well.
  4. Let batter sit for a few minutes to allow the flour to absorb the liquid.
  5. Scoop half the batter on baking pan and us a spatula to spread batter into a circle the size of a bun.
  6. Repeat using the rest of the batter. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.

Update 1/17/12 – You may want to bake this on a parchment lined cookie sheet to avoid sticking.

ad_spacer ad_spacer
ad_spacer ad_spacer

Like this recipe? Pin it on Pinterest!Grain Free Coconut Flour Flatbread

ad_spacer ad_spacer

• Amy January 5, 2012, 12:13 am

Yum! I’m going to give this try. Thank you.

• Al January 5, 2012, 12:35 am

Do you have a carb count on the flatbreads?

• The Coconut Mama January 12, 2012, 11:03 pm

Approximately 10 grams per sandwich, 6 of which is fiber. If your counting your carbs I think you would count these as 4 carbs per severing.

• Tracey January 5, 2012, 12:59 am

Looks really good! I’ve shared it on my Facebook page. We were just talking about another form of grain-free bread earlier today! http://www.facebook.com/GoodLifeMenus

• The Coconut Mama January 12, 2012, 11:04 pm

Thanks for sharing this on facebook, Tracey! :)

• Brittany January 5, 2012, 1:02 am

This sounds really yummy and SO easy! And cheap! I’m really looking forward to trying this. Thank you so much for sharing!

• The Coconut Mama January 12, 2012, 11:04 pm

Your welcome, Brittany :)

• Lavina January 5, 2012, 12:40 pm

I’ve been looking for a quick flatbread recipe. Thanks for posting this!

• Paula @ Whole Intentions January 5, 2012, 1:20 pm

I’ve been looking for more coconut flour recipes. Thanks for sharing this – it’s getting bookmarked!

• Gem Ross January 5, 2012, 8:07 pm

I am doing something wrong,I am getting a paste not something I can pour like your directions describe , is there supposed to be coconut milk too? Thanks =l

• The Coconut Mama January 5, 2012, 10:23 pm

Hmm. No milk. My batter was very thick, but I was able to pour half of it out of the bowl. What brand of coconut flour are you using? You could try adding a little water or coconut milk to the dough to make it more like a batter.

• The Coconut Mama January 12, 2012, 11:05 pm

I just made this and tripled the recipe and this time it was more like a paste rather than a batter. I spread it on my cookie sheet and baked it and they turned out just fine!

• leona August 12, 2014, 5:14 pm

I did exactly the same. Tripled it and it was like paste but turned out perfectly. Can’t wait to try. It’s baking right now :)

• Judee @ Gluten Free A-Z January 5, 2012, 9:43 pm

Love it! What a quick and simple idea..can’t wait to try it Thanks for sharing

• Dayna January 5, 2012, 5:16 pm

Thank You! My girl is on the no grains whatsoever diet and now seems to be having a reaction to almond flour. I wondered if the Coconut flour from tropical tradions tasted really coconutty? I cant wait to see if this will work for her :)

• Brandon January 5, 2012, 6:18 pm

Bacon avocado sandwich sounds so good right now. What a great idea!

• Christi January 5, 2012, 8:03 pm

This looks and sounds delicious! Just wondering, would it still work if you subbed baking soda for the baking powder? I just started on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet and can’t use baking powder. ;-/

Many thanks!
    Christi

• The Coconut Mama January 6, 2012, 8:28 am

Hi Christi, I haven’t tried it with baking soda so I can’t say for sure. If you try it will you let me know how it turns out?

Thanks :)

• Lily January 15, 2012, 4:42 pm

NO! I accidentally just made this with soda and not powder. It was so salty! Do over.

• Lily January 15, 2012, 4:48 pm

Also to add, if you’re on GAPS and avoiding baking powder because of the cornstarch, make your own baking powder using cream of tartar and baking soda. I usually fudge the recipe, but for the equivalent of 2 tsp. baking powder I use about 2/3 tsp cream of tartar and 1/3 tsp baking soda.

• Victoria September 1, 2012, 8:37 am

Lily, thanks so much for that info. I will use your cream of tartar and baking soda substitution. :)))

• Julare September 23, 2014, 9:46 am

Christi, I used baking soda as we too are on SCD. It turned out fine. I used twice as much as it called for.

• VintageMom January 6, 2012, 6:40 am

Hi! Going grain-free is so challenging, especially for kids at lunchtime. Would you like to link up this post to my Allergy Friendly Lunchbox Love link party? There are a lot of moms out there who would kill for a good recipe for sandwich bread :)

Lisa @ Allergy Free Vintage Cookery

• The Coconut Mama January 12, 2012, 11:08 pm

Sorry I missed last weeks linky party! I will link up this week! Sorry I missed it!

• hännah @ dishesanddishes January 6, 2012, 9:20 am

This looks wonderful! And I love the breakfast sandwich you made with it. I’m craving it right now.

• Elizabeth January 7, 2012, 5:48 am

My batter came out too thick to pour, and so I “plopped” it on the pan and formed it with my hands. Then it stuck. :-( Next time, hopefully better results. The taste is nice, I’ll give it that… I scraped it off and made it an accompaniment to the scrambled eggs, instead of the holder.

Maybe a light scoop of coconut flour instead of packed? Would that make a difference?

• The Coconut Mama January 7, 2012, 9:31 am

Did you use 1 1/2 Tbs of coconut flour or 1 Tbs coconut flour and 1 Tbs almond flour mixed together? I haven’t used parchment paper when I’ve made this, but perhaps it would help with the sticking?

• Elizabeth January 8, 2012, 5:50 am

I used all coconut flour, and put it on aluminum foil (is that bad?). I’m going to try again today with lightly scooped coconut flour and spreading butter on the pan… wish me luck!

• Penny January 7, 2012, 1:17 pm

Hi Tiffany,
    I made your recipe for the grain free flat bread last night. The bread was about the size of a regular hamburger bun. I though it might become soft once the filling was added but it held up well. Next time I’ll add some additional spices depending upon what goes into the sandwich. Thanks for posting this recipe.

• The Coconut Mama January 12, 2012, 11:09 pm

Hi Penny! I’m glad the recipe worked well for you! Thank you for stopping by and sharing :).

• Gem Ross January 7, 2012, 6:50 pm

I am using Let’s Do Oragnic flour. I will try adding less and seeing if I get a better result. It would be really cool if you could post a pic of what it looks like “flatbread for dummies” style =) Thank you for the site and posting the recipe.

• charity dasenbrock January 9, 2012, 8:47 am

Mine was very thick also. I also just plopped it on the parchment and patted it down with my hands. It is yummy, thanks! I ate one right out of the oven with butter and jam on it, kind of like a biscuit. :)

• Melanie January 10, 2012, 2:40 pm

Those seem super easy to make and they seem like they would be great as biscuits or sandwich bread. Its great for those of us who don’t have a lot of mouths to feed too ;)

• Holly January 11, 2012, 5:23 pm

Thanks for this recipe! I made it tonight and had a chicken, bacon and avocado sandwich! Very tasty! I added 1/4 t. garlic powder to mine. It was slightly crumbly – would I need more oil or less flour? I used all coconut flour. Thanks for any feedback. :) I will definitely make these again!

• The Coconut Mama January 11, 2012, 6:21 pm

Hi Holly! I’m glad you liked the bread. I’m still experimenting with this recipe, so I’m not exactly sure if it would need more oil or flour to make it not crumbly. My guess would be to use just a little less flour.

Thanks for stopping by :)

• Jill@RealFoodForager.com January 15, 2012, 12:05 pm

This great post is featured at Sunday Snippets this week! Thanks for sharing! Come and check it out!

• Laureen @ Fox in the Kitchen January 15, 2012, 12:14 pm

Tried these this morning. Oh la la, sooo good! Fresh baked, they smell and tasted divine as part of my breakfast sandwich today. Thank you, thank you, thank you :)

• Laureen @ Fox in the Kitchen January 15, 2012, 12:28 pm

Oops, forgot to mention I found this recipe through the Real Food Forager’s Sunday Snippets.

• Jodi January 16, 2012, 4:20 am

I’m on a gluten-free, low sodium diet. Would you be able to figure the sodium per serving for this yummy sounding treat? Thanks!

• Shirley @ gfe January 16, 2012, 10:39 am

This recipe is wonderful. I used half almond flour and half coconut flour to make a delicious Pizza Fried Egg Sandwich for my lunch. I used a fried egg to which I added a few slices of pepperoni and then topped that with a little pizza sauce. So delicious! I’ll be making this flatbread a lot in the future. :-)

Thanks so much!
    Shirley

• Jen January 17, 2012, 7:05 am

Thank you, thank you! I made these last night using all coconut flour. They were AWESOME! Went fantastically with our mock chicken curry, dal, and green beans. These will be a frequent treat in this gluten-free household! So versatile, too.

• Richa@HobbyandMore January 19, 2012, 3:25 pm

this sounds like one fantastic flat bread! i need to give it a try!

• April @ The 21st Century Housewife January 20, 2012, 12:50 am

I love the sound of this flatbread – I’m sure the coconut flour gives it a wonderful flavour. Your photographs are beautiful too! If you have time, I’d love it if you would share this post with the Gallery of Favorites on my site this weekend.

• Tracy LaForest January 20, 2012, 5:46 pm

Thank you! I have been struggling with not being able to eat grains and products that contain grain. Finding anything in the store that meets both dietary and taste requirements has been tough, to say the least. I found your website and feel like for once, I can eat like a normal person. It is liberating, no, it is like being able to just eat and not to have to think about what I am going to suffer through, but finally able to enjoy. I will be trying most of your grain free items, as the recipes look fairly simple and for the most part I can get the ingredients at a local health food store. Again, thank you!

• Micci January 21, 2012, 6:25 am

My 10 yr old loves these. I sent him to school with a ham sandwich this week. After school he told me, “Mama, I felt like a man eating a sandwich again!” I guess I really didn’t realize how important sandwiches are to a little boy. LOL! Thank-you for this little slice of heaven!

• Beth January 25, 2012, 5:13 pm

Just made this for dinner. Mine was also a tad crumbly but oh so delicious. I’ll just put in a tad less coconut flour next time or up the oil. Thanks for such a quick, easy, yummy recipe.

• Nicole February 2, 2012, 8:44 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe! I’m doing Paleo and really miss my bread. I usually make one of these to have with breakfast with sugar free strawberry preserves on it…YUM!

• demi March 25, 2012, 12:14 pm

i was wondering if i want to double or triple the dosage..should i also triple the?can ti just leave it as 1 egg??thank you

• The Coconut Mama March 26, 2012, 7:45 pm

Coconut flour needs eggs! If you double or triple the recipe, you will need to add the appropriate amount of eggs.

• Katie September 24, 2012, 6:06 pm

Do you think I could use egg replacer ?

• The Coconut Mama September 25, 2012, 8:45 am

I don’t use egg re placer so I’m not sure. Sorry I’m not more help :(

• Michelle April 21, 2012, 2:22 pm

This is excellent.. but VERY salty! Will reducing the amount of salt affect this in any way?

• The Coconut Mama April 21, 2012, 7:01 pm

I don’t think it will affect it in any way.

Did you add 1/4 tsp of salt? What kind of salt did you use?

• Michelle April 22, 2012, 6:43 pm

I used 1/4 tsp of sea salt. That’s an awful lot for the bread on a sandwich, considering one teaspoon is the upper limit of what your sodium intake should be for an entire day. Did you not find this a little salty? I’m just curious.. otherwise this is a great recipe and exciting find.

• Karen G. April 22, 2013, 5:41 am

I found the recipe to be very salty too. i think next time, I’ll just add a pinch of salt.

• connie September 3, 2013, 2:09 pm

I noticed that some brands of baking soda are more salty than others. I find Bob’s Red Mill much more salty than Rumford.

• Vashti M April 22, 2012, 12:40 pm

I loved this bread! I found it a little too salty (used 1/4 tsp sea salt) so I will greatly reduce or possibly omit for next time. Thank you for this wonderful recipe!!!!!!!!!! <3

• Stacia June 26, 2012, 12:44 pm

I saw this same recipe on another website making it in the microwave. I haven’t tried it yet, but they said it could be done by putting the batter in a small dessert dish (I’m thinking a microwave egg cooker will be just the right size) and putting in microwave for 90 seconds.

• Tammy Rodriguez August 10, 2012, 5:57 pm

perhaps if you would weigh the ingredients.. especially the coconut flour.. it would be helpful… weighing is a much more consistent method of measuring.. i convert almost all my recipes to weight measurements.

• The Coconut Mama August 17, 2012, 9:47 am

I don’t have a scale :(

• Monica August 21, 2012, 10:04 am

Omg! Super easy and this is so delicious! Thank you for posting this :)

• The Coconut Mama August 21, 2012, 8:33 pm

Glad you liked it! :)

• Mindy @ Too Many Jars in My Kitchen! August 29, 2012, 8:05 pm

That looks really good and super easy!

Thanks for sharing this at Fill Those Jars Friday. I hope to see you back again later this week!

• Lyza @ Chic Shades of Green August 31, 2012, 7:54 am

This looks good and so easy. I wish I had clicked on this link 10 minutes ago before my husband went out tot he store to buy gluten-free bagels!

• Stacey September 12, 2012, 8:59 am

I love, love, LOVE this!! I am completely grain free and this is the fix I needed! I also have anjoyed an avocado and bacon sammy on this! Thanks so much for sharing! Did I mention, I LOVE this!!

• The Coconut Mama September 12, 2012, 10:05 am

I’m so happy you LOVE this, Stacey! Thank you so much for stopping over here to let me know :).

• Laina September 21, 2012, 9:51 am

If using almond flour, can you sub 1:1 for the coconut flour? I’m out of coconut flour and would love a BLT for lunch :(

• The Coconut Mama September 21, 2012, 11:03 am

I don’t bake with almond flour so I’m not sure if it will work :(

• Bethany Candace Allen January 8, 2013, 7:44 am

Why don’t you bake with almond flour? An health reasons or just preference?

• abundantlyjoyful October 26, 2012, 10:07 am

This recipe is crazy wonderful!. Thank You. Also, thank you for offering a recipe in smaller portions. Sometimes it is hard to cut a recipe down without loosing it somewhere in the translation. I will be using this recipe often and have started thinking about adding herbs and the like for specific dishes. I am not certain how I came across your blog but Kudo’s to the genius who brought Your Genius to my attention.

• The Coconut Mama October 26, 2012, 10:56 am

I’m glad you like it! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! :)

• Trinity December 14, 2012, 11:55 pm

I doubled the recipe and made a pizza base :) I quite liked it but husband complained it wasn’t ‘doughy’ enough.

• Farzad0018 January 29, 2013, 6:43 am

is it 1 and 1/2 Tablespoons Coconut Flour or just 1/2 tablespoon coconutflour

• hollyhoffman May 19, 2013, 6:30 am

I tripled this recipe, added dried Italian herbs, some grated pecorino romano and garlic powder and patted it out on parchment paper. I then transferred the parchment onto a preheated cast iron pizza pan at 350 and baked for 12 minutes. The bread came out like an herbed foccacia. So good with butter right out of the oven, great with my organic eggs for breakfast the next day. Great recipe, thanks!

• Eileen July 31, 2013, 11:43 am

I absolutely LOVE this recipe! I’ve been making it for several months now. Just today I tried it with melted butter in place of the coconut oil (I had run out). Also, I added Italian seasoning and garlic powder (as inspired by some other commenters) and got a wonderful product – so very very tasty! Yum! This recipe is such a lifesaver because I’ve gone grain free and nut-free. It’s hard to do this but recipes like this truly SAVE THE DAY!!

• bonnie November 14, 2013, 10:06 pm

Has anyone used an egg replacement with this recipe i can not have eggs

• charlie April 11, 2014, 12:38 pm

I just made this but substituted a tablespoon of applesauce for the oil to make it lower in calories/fat. It turned out amazing!! Going to be making this all the time. :-)

• Real Estate Schools May 5, 2014, 12:01 am

Excellent post. I was checking constantly this weblog and I’m impressed!
    Extremely helpful information particularly the closing section :) I handle such info much.
    I was seeking this certain information for a very long time.

Thank you and best of luck.

• thelexingtonienne.com May 8, 2014, 4:59 am

Hello there, I discovered your website by means of Google at the same time as searching for a similar matter, your site got here up, it seems to be great.
    I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
    Hello there, simply changed into aware of your weblog via
    Google, and found that it’s truly informative.

I am going to watch out for brussels. I’ll be grateful for those
    who proceed this in future. Numerous other folks will
    probably be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

• Genevieve May 16, 2014, 9:38 am

There is no pouring this batter. But at least I can enjoy a sandwich again. It’s been months. Thank you!

• Jacqueline June 11, 2014, 7:19 am

I really want to make this! Do you think this would still taste good and come out right if I replace the egg with flax seeds to make it Vegan? :)

• sarah July 31, 2014, 4:40 pm

Yep! It is good with a chia “egg” too.

• Lindsey October 5, 2014, 8:53 pm

I did flax eggs, and they turned out great!

• Emmie June 11, 2014, 9:46 am

Dont know if I registered correctly.i am looking forward to the tips for coconut products.

• Bev June 25, 2014, 6:17 pm

Just made these for chicken salad sandwiches! Easy and delish! Haven’t read all the comments but, has anyone tried cooking them in a skillet? Thanks for sharing.

• Susan July 9, 2014, 4:39 pm

Hi – can I increase the recipe by the number of pieces I want to make? I don’t turn on my oven for such a small batch of anything.

Thank you.

• Alani August 11, 2014, 10:52 am

Thank you for this… I’m going to try it :)
    Although, I think I might let it bake a little longer so I can eat it like a cookie! haha :)

I am enjoying your recipes so much! Thank you! It’s opened a new world to me. I gave up on baking etc etc… because I can’t eat conventional flours etc. But now, I’m obsessed!

• Garima September 4, 2014, 10:44 am

Can I make this egg free?

• Caroline T. September 4, 2014, 12:47 pm

Looks great! But how could this recipe be flavored up- what seasonings, etc. would be good to experiment with ?

• Lindsey October 5, 2014, 8:52 pm

I just made these for the first time! Turned out pretty good! I used flax eggs, and it worked great! A little crumbly (we had to eat our veggie burgers with a fork!), but we still loved them! I will try tweaking a few things next time and see what happens. Can’t wait to try it with some chia strawberry jam!

• Jennifer October 30, 2014, 5:15 pm

I made these this morning and they were so good! I decided, that because there was a slight sweetness to them that I would make them for dessert tonight. I followed the recipe but added a little bit of cinnamon. After they were ready, we dipped them in raw honey and went to town! Heaven in my mouth!!! :-)

• Sarah November 11, 2014, 6:05 pm

am I misunderstanding something? How am I going to make anything with only 1 1/2 TBS of flour? Help!