Coconut Oil Lotion Bar

Coconut Oil Lotion Bar

The other day I posted a tutorial on how to make whipped Coconut Oil Moisturizer. I mentioned a few of the many health benefits of using coconut oil, like how it reduce skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.  It also softens the skin and relieves dryness and flaking. Applied topically it helps to prevent wrinkles,saggy skin and age spots. Coconut Oil is truly amazing!

Today I’m sharing a recipe for making Coconut Oil Lotion Bars. These bars are great for everyone, especially those who live in warmer areas and don’t want their moisturizer to melt! This lotion bar is easy to make and only has 3 ingredients!

Coconut Oil Lotion Bar

Equipment

Heat coconut oil and beeswax together in a saucepan over low heat. It helps if you break up the beeswax into small chunks because it takes a while for the wax to melt. Once the beeswax and coconut oil are melted add essential oils. I like to use vanilla and lavender. I’m sensitive to strong fragrances so I only add a few drops.

Pour melted coconut oil and beeswax into lotion bar molds or  muffin tins. Let them sit until cool. You can also place them in the refrigerator if you need to speed up the process.

Eczema Lotion Bars

Add 25 drops of Melrose Essential Oil Blend and 25 drops of Lavender Essential Oil to mixture before pouring into molds.

Eczema Lotion Bars

How To Use Lotion Bars

The first time I used a lotion bar I had some trouble. No one explained to me how to use them. I ended up bringing it into the shower with me and used it like a soap bar. It worked pretty well as a moisturizer, but a lot of it would wash off in the shower. Later I figured out that your not supposed to use it in the shower (though I still keep one in my shower because we like to use it the wrong way). Instead you need to rub the bar until it’s warm and then apply it on your skin like lotion.

Coconut Oil Lotion Bar

• Shelley Janelle via Facebook November 28, 2012, 11:39 pm

This is great! I use coconut oil for everything! I’ve been waiting for this but I came across a blog saying that coconut oil has a lot of oleic acid which feeds the fungus malassezia! Reluctant to put in my hair now because I wonder it contributes to my itchy flaky scalp! So conflicted!

• Rose Merkosky August 1, 2014, 3:35 pm

After I have my hair washed I put about 1/4 teaspoon and rub it in your hands and put it in my hair and it good for couple days .if im in a hurry just wet my hair and put it on my hair like a mousse and it takes the gray away for couple days.Good luck and its natural!

• Bets October 15, 2014, 12:28 pm

When you used Unrefined, Pure Coconut Oil – it is Anti-Fungal & fights against any fungus.

• Natalie Garner via Facebook November 28, 2012, 11:46 pm

Does the beeswax stop it melting in hot climates?

• Nat November 28, 2012, 11:53 pm

This looks great, can you replace beeswax with cacoa butter, as I have that in already :)

• Natalie Garner via Facebook November 28, 2012, 11:54 pm

also can you use cocoa butter instead of beeswax, as I have that in already ;)

• The Coconut Mama via Facebook November 29, 2012, 12:11 am

Natalie Garner – I don’t think so! I know you can sub cocoa butter for coconut oil but I’m not sure about the beeswax. The beeswax keeps it from not melting. :)

• Nat November 29, 2012, 3:48 am

OK Thanks, will need to try and source beeswax. From other tutorials I think cocoa butter also helps stabalize, its pretty solid even at warm temps, but unsure how well :)

• The Coconut Mama November 29, 2012, 8:23 am

Nat » I think it might work! But if it got too hot it do think it would melt. If you try it please let me know! Thanks :)

• Gloria B November 29, 2012, 1:39 am

What a great idea! I am wondering, if I use a muffin tin, would it work well to use cupcake papers? Then there would be something easy to store the bar in and to wrap it in as a gift. Any thoughts on this?

• judit November 29, 2012, 4:08 am

Do you know if beeswax clogs the pores? I used some in a homemade deoderant recipe but it felt too sticky.

• The Coconut Mama November 29, 2012, 8:22 am

judit » It doesn’t clog pores :)

• connie curtis November 29, 2012, 5:24 am

where do you buy beeswax at ?

• The Coconut Mama November 29, 2012, 8:21 am

connie curtis » You can click on the link above where it says Pure Beeswax and it will take you to amazon :)

• Angela November 29, 2012, 5:46 am

This is the simplest recipe I’ve ever seen for a lotion bar. LOVE it!!!

• The Coconut Mama November 29, 2012, 8:21 am

Angela » Simple is my middle name :).

• Kate Los April 17, 2014, 11:06 am

Is there anything we can add that will be a natural sunscreen?
        thanks,
        kate

• Tammy October 4, 2014, 1:02 pm

I know this is a little dated, but coconut oil has a natural SPF of 8. I use it in the summer as my go-to sunscreen along with 5000 iu of Vit D, which further boosts your bodys natural ability to process sunlight exposure. Furthermore, coconut oil keeps your skin hydrated, making it less likely to burn. All in all, I find that it’s a healthy alternative to toxic sunscreens :)

• Kim @ What's That Smell? November 29, 2012, 6:58 am

Wow, this is great I am going to make these for gifts. So simple. And no chemicals!

• Tiffany November 29, 2012, 6:58 am

I am going to give this a go! I love the little tin you have. I’ve made body butter before with coconut oil, cocoa butter, and shea butter and it’s been a really nice consistency. I look forward to trying this because it has beeswax which is locally available vs. cocoa butter which is not! :)

• Cathy Webster November 29, 2012, 7:21 am

I love them, especially when traveling you can put them in your carry on since they are solid and you don’t have to worry about the 3 oz liquid restriction.

• Katie Stanley November 29, 2012, 7:28 am

I made a lotion bar last year when I added too much wax to my chap stick! :) Where did you get the tins?

• Yolanda November 29, 2012, 7:47 am

That’s great! And simple! Thank you for posting this. By the way, if you have beeswax in big chunks, if you wish, you can grate it to get it to melt more quickly. :)

• The Coconut Mama November 29, 2012, 8:27 am

Yolanda » Good idea, Yolanda! Thanks :)

• KittyF November 29, 2012, 12:13 pm

Shelley,, I’d check on that if I were you. I’d heard that Coconut oil is antifungal/bacterial. I’ve used it on a severely itchy scalp before shampooing and it helped. It’s not itchy anymore. I like it.

• Courtney Tucker December 3, 2012, 12:22 am

I purchased my Beeswax Pellets on Amazon

…also 3 lbs of Cocoa Butter Wafers from them that smell like a big bag of chocolate!
    I have so many raw materials for skincare, should start making something soon…but have to finish all of the products already made before they get too old.
    These lotion bars look nice, will have to try this recipe, thank you!

• Robin @ Thank Your Body December 3, 2012, 6:56 pm

Oh! I love the bar idea. So pretty… and such a great gift. Pinning.

• peggyatallergyfreetestkitchen December 7, 2012, 8:51 am

I so want to try this! Lotion without all the extra chemicals and stuff!

• The_royalfamily December 12, 2012, 12:16 pm

Where can I find the tin’s you made them in???

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama December 12, 2012, 12:53 pm

You can find them on amazon. If you click the link above you’ll find them. :)

• Min June 18, 2013, 7:55 am

Where’s the link? I can’t seem to find it. Thanks!

• Jenn9933 December 22, 2012, 5:25 pm

What about Altoid tins??

• Jessh December 14, 2012, 7:39 pm

how do you get them out of the tin after?? :_

• Guest February 4, 2013, 9:45 pm

jessh, you dont, it is a hard lotion bar that warms to your bodies heat. So you leave in tin and just rub or press out with your fingers

• Sarah Wesche Warren April 13, 2013, 12:14 pm

You get a tin that is slightly larger than your mold and you just flip it over and it comes out. That’s how I use mine.

• Wendy Earwood January 15, 2013, 2:00 pm

I have mine cooling right now! can’t wait to start using it tonight on my heels before bed and in the morning after my shower.

• Emilystrobel January 30, 2013, 5:36 pm

I made a batch of this tonight and am waiting for it to cool off so I can try it!   I did leave out the oils, figured coconut oil smells good enough! :)

• Andrea February 4, 2013, 6:02 pm

I’m going to make it! Sounds and looks so easy!

• Yvonne February 5, 2013, 5:12 am

Thanks for posting this recipe.  The link to the coconut oils pag isn’t working – thought you’d like to know :-)

• Joan Osborne March 27, 2013, 1:07 am

I have tried signing and subscribing but when I click on Subscribe nothing happens and I cannot download recipes off of FB because that will not ” allow ” either … what am I doing wrong ?
    Joan Osborne
    joanosborne18@aol.com

• Creative Simple Life April 7, 2013, 9:51 pm

These look so great! I heard recently that coconut oil can be pore-clogging but I’ve never had a problem using it for skincare. Have you heard this as well? What are your thoughts? Thanks!

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama April 8, 2013, 8:38 pm

I use coconut oil on my face every day. No pore-clogging goin on here! :)

• Norma Segui November 3, 2013, 2:19 pm

I have been using coconut for over 6 months as well and my face at 51 has never looked nor felt better. I love it! Definitely will make this recipe.

• Bets October 15, 2014, 12:33 pm

Me too – I use Coconut oil on my face & body every day – and I’m 62

• Jamie Schultz June 27, 2013, 10:50 am

If you use organic and UNrefined, you should be fine. I heard that, too and did some research. HTH

• sue April 8, 2013, 2:11 pm

I have had a large bucket with some coconut oil for several years. Will it go rancid? If I can not ingest it can I at least make this with it and put it on my skin?

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama April 8, 2013, 8:37 pm

Coconut oil doesn’t go rancid for a long time. Even after 5 years the fats are stable. I would use it if I were you :).

• khira April 8, 2013, 4:14 pm

1 part coconut oil 1 part beeswax does it matter the parts? or just to the size you want it

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama April 8, 2013, 8:36 pm

It depends on how much you want to make. 1 cup of coconut oil and 1 cup of beeswax. Use more or less.

• wumples April 18, 2013, 3:48 am

Just made this with food grade shimmer added to the mix. This is a fantastic moisturizer and I am loving the added bit of shine! Thanks for the recipe!

• Rebekah Gleeson via Facebook May 7, 2013, 12:10 am

Where did you get the container to put it in from? do you have a link?

• Suzanne Rees via Facebook May 7, 2013, 12:17 am

I made mine in an empty push up deodorant container with a twist up base, easy to use! Thanks for the recipie! :-)

• Cora Bettcher via Facebook May 7, 2013, 1:05 am

• Cora Bettcher via Facebook May 7, 2013, 1:05 am

• Cecily Porter via Facebook May 7, 2013, 5:07 am

isn’t this the same recipe mommypotamus uses?

• The Coconut Mama via Facebook May 7, 2013, 6:16 am

Cecily Porter – nope

• The Coconut Mama via Facebook May 7, 2013, 6:16 am

Cecily Porter – nope

• Cecily Porter via Facebook May 7, 2013, 8:25 am

you’re right:)
    Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 06:16:58 -0700

• Vero of My Own World May 18, 2013, 3:06 am

I am starting my own natural homemade skin care line now. And your posts are very helping. I live in Indonesia, where you can easily find coconut and its derivatives. Thanks for the great posts!

• Amy Theel June 26, 2013, 7:38 pm

Where can I find bees wax?

• Jamie Schultz June 27, 2013, 10:48 am

Amazon has beeswax pastilles (easier for measuring) and I found chunks of beeswax at my local health food store.

• aileen December 5, 2013, 10:31 am

Best source of bees wax is from a local beekeeper. Search them out at farmer’s markets etc. Talk to them. Ask about their bees source of pollen and think about what goes on, agriculturally, in your area. It’s always good to support local bees. :)

• NaturalBeauty July 16, 2013, 8:33 am

Love this recipe! Just Be sure to use a double broiler or indirect heating method to melt down your waxes. I know a girl who once started a large, rather traumatic apartment fire while melting wax in a sauce pan…okay it was me.

• aileen December 5, 2013, 10:35 am

It is very dangerous to melt bees wax in a pan. Always use a double boiler type method and ALWAYS keep baking soda at the ready. Use it to smother fires. Have enough on hand to dump, not sprinkle. Never walk away from wax that is melting. I like this recipe but it leaves out some very important safety tips.

• wendy December 9, 2013, 7:02 am

Nah, a small crock pot dedicated for beeswax…works exceptionally well on low…when done I let cool, put lid on and put it back in the craft bucket, when you heat it up next time it all melts off the sides again. You can pick them up at thrift stores or if you are only doing a small amount there are little tiny ones available now that are perfect for only a few items :-)

• Crystal K December 21, 2013, 5:50 am

Duuur. How did I not know this? Thanks!

• Norma Segui November 3, 2013, 2:22 pm

ummm, I wonder if I can make this for my co-worker who has psoriasis. Is there an EO that would help her?

• mtmom November 4, 2013, 11:33 am

Aromatherapy for Psoriasis — The essential oils of bergamot, calendula, or lavender can be mixed with carrier oils and massaged into the skin.

• Lea February 14, 2014, 7:56 pm

I made a Healing Lotion bar for my skin issues and they healed up quickly. I used coconut oil, beeswax, cocoa butter and tea tree oil. Within 3 days of using this lotion bar, I saw a significant difference. If she does not like tea tree oil, there are other antibacterial/antifungal essential oils that might work as well. I do like using calendula oil in a number of my products as well.

• Melissa Jordan November 3, 2013, 2:24 pm

I make little versions of this with a little more coconut oil than beeswax (easier to use) and a drop of olive oil. I give to the kids for their lips and sore noses from colds.

• Jenn Tyler November 4, 2013, 1:34 pm

I think I know what I’ll be making for some loved ones for Christmas this year. Thanks so much for the idea!! :)
    Quick question though – does the beeswax keep the bars from melting in the summer? And do they shrink up well enough to pop out of the tins? Would it work if I used silicone baking molds?

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama November 4, 2013, 4:04 pm

Yes! This won’t melt because of the wax. Mine shrunk so I was able to get it out of the molds.

• Emilie November 4, 2013, 2:06 pm

Is this 1 part oil, 1 part beeswax by weight or volume? (I assume weight, but though I’d double check.) Thanks!

• Emilie November 4, 2013, 2:06 pm

*thought

• yvonne November 8, 2013, 1:14 pm

Still wondering about it being weight or volume in the 1:1 ratio. Thanks

• wendy December 9, 2013, 7:04 am

I’d like to know too… hmmm no one answered?

• Sophie92 August 11, 2014, 5:39 am

I would have thought it would be in volume as apposed to weight to make it the right consistency. But again i’m not sure.

• Laurie Chartier November 4, 2013, 3:33 pm

I think I may be allergic to beeswax… any other substitution for that ingredient ?

• Brittani November 14, 2013, 11:31 am

You could try shea butter instead. Here’s a link to a really good alternative: http://www.rawmazing.com/homemade-body-butter-recipe/

• kangbanjo November 26, 2013, 3:25 pm

I allergic to bee’s had bad enough reaction to a product made with bees wax had to go to ER. dr said there must been some part of bee in the wax since it is the bee protein that caused the problem. So I really hoping there is some other type of wax that can be used/

• Kelly Richards November 14, 2013, 12:51 pm

you should try these for your lotion bars http://www.brambleberry.com/Push-Tubes-Clear-P4203.aspx

• Kelli November 16, 2013, 6:00 pm

Where do you purchase your storage containers for your lotion bars and moisturizers?

• Amanda November 16, 2013, 6:34 pm

I have a question about the beeswax. I’m aware that anything the bees pick up like pesticides gets concentrated in the beeswax. I’m told it doesn’t stay in the honey. Is this a concern when making this moisturizer? I would like to try this recipe. I currently just use right out of my coconut oil jar (that I also use for baking) for moisturizing on my face and hands.

• Kitty November 20, 2013, 4:51 pm

amanda, my grandpa used to keep bees. as far as I’ve read and learned from different sources, bees are very sensitive to pesticides and will die if they come in contact with them. there is no worry about pesticides in either the honey or the wax. Bees are pathologically organic.

• Kathryn November 21, 2013, 6:20 pm

I saw others who asked this- but where do I get the little tins? Checked amazon already. Checked for links above and didn’t find any. Help!

• DC December 6, 2013, 7:58 am

Thanks for this cant wait to make it! Also looking for those square tins and the link on this page. Sorry cannot find it and looked through the entire feed below to find it. Still cant : ( Help thanks. Also looked on Amazon with no luck.

• laurie December 6, 2013, 10:36 am

can you use cupcake paper

• Jessica Lynn December 10, 2013, 2:58 am

I have been learning about lotion bars and love the concept, but I just have to ask – is this something you rub all over your body like you would lotion?? Or is it just for problem areas? I had made a different recipe before and it just didn’t seem like something that I could use as a daily moisturizer. I do plan to try this recipe as the other recipe called for shea, coco butter, and coconut oil. I’m thinking a more basic recipe that doesn’t use coco butter may rub on easier – but I still struggle with the idea of rubbing this all over my skin. Felt like i was stretching out my arms lol!

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama December 17, 2013, 4:20 pm

Hi Jessica! We enjoy rubbing all over the body! I don’t see any problem with using it as a topical for problem areas though, but you’d be missing out! :)

• veronicalgates@gmail.com February 6, 2014, 3:06 pm

I used coconut butter, it’s more of a scrub but it is AMAZING! My neighbor gave me some orange essential oils that I added…. YUM! Can’t wait to try more.

• Barefoot February 6, 2014, 9:08 pm

Oh nice idea. I use C-nut oil but it can be greasy. I think the beeswax will help.. and by solidifying it so that it takes your warm hands to kinda skim some off for use, you have more control. I like to add Astaxanthin to my C-nut oil (have also added it to olive oil). Besides the many benefits of Astaxantin for skin, it also gives you color. Wear gloves when you slice open the capsule cuz it will stain… just add it to the C oil or to olive oil (I use organic).

Some info: One of the most frequently-reported benefits of astaxanthin is an improvement in skin quality. There is evidence that astaxanthin not only prevents UV sun damage from occurring, but may actually help to reverse external signs of aging, from the inside out. This has been clearly demonstrated in human clinical trials.

Many users of astaxanthin supplements report that they are able to spend significantly more time out in the sun without burning than they were able to before. This is due to the powerful anti-inflammatory properties that astaxanthin has. (A sunburn is essentially an inflammation of your skin).

Dr. Nicholas Perricone, one of the world’s leading antiaging experts, highly recommends astaxanthin for reducing wrinkles and age spots, improving moisture levels, elasticity and smoothness, and for giving your skin a beautiful, healthy glow.

Several cosmetic manufacturers have begun to use astaxanthin in facial and body creams for its UV protection and ability to heal damaged skin.

• Mary Garner February 13, 2014, 11:22 pm

Hi, Do you make these coconut oil lotion bars and sell them?

• Rosie February 23, 2014, 11:20 am

It is so nice. I wonder where do you get the mold and the beeswax?

• Marena March 29, 2014, 6:21 pm

Dear Coconut Mama, your coconut oil lotion bar is the BOMB! In my house we LOVE it! I used vanilla essential oil and it smells so nice i could eat it! lol Ok, i wont, but man! I love, love, love all your recipes/inventions! Thanks a ton!

• Marci March 30, 2014, 4:37 am

Where do you purchase your vanilla essential oil? I’m having difficulty finding a good brand – Spark Naturals nor YL carries one.

• R.Howard March 31, 2014, 8:57 am

Ooooh, y’all got me thinking…
    I wonder how part coconut oil, cocoa butter, and beeswax would work!
    …time to experiment. When I get around to playing with it, I’ll post results.

• Jazzy June 4, 2014, 8:56 pm

I’m so doing this tomorrow!! I let you know how it turns out. I love my coconut Oil lotion . Going to try it for my hair soon. It even is a great sunscreen too.

• kathy July 5, 2014, 9:17 am

I use coconut oil often to remove my make up. Sometimes when I wake up in the morning I smell a rancid oil smell. It’s got to be from the c oil….Is there anybody else that smells a rancid oil smell after about 8 hours?

• Sophie92 August 11, 2014, 5:35 am

Wow, this looks truly wonderful and nourishing! I’m in love with natural alternatives (ESPECIALLY ANYTHING containing Coconut Oil. This looks so simple and i’ll be sure to try it! Thankyou.

• Jodi September 3, 2014, 5:36 pm

Love this recipe, easy to follow with simple ingredients. Thank-you Coconut Mama!

• Carmen McConnell September 8, 2014, 11:24 am

I love your easy recipes

• roxy p September 9, 2014, 9:03 pm

suggestion: if you make the lotion bar or a lip balm to give as gifts, why not use the small round spice tins you can get from Ikea or the similar party favor tins from Michael’s craft store.

• Isabel September 12, 2014, 9:41 pm

Hello… I was wondering how long do these lotion bars keep once they are made? Do they need to be stored any way special?

• Marnie September 17, 2014, 10:46 pm

I’ve just made these for my 12yo’s birthday party to give instead of lolly bags. I put them in fancy patterned muffin tins; they look so beautiful. Made a few for myself as well, it makes a great lip balm too, cheers

• Sophie October 15, 2014, 11:05 am

This is lovely! I just tried it and it’s incredibly easy with great results. I used cinnamon and grapefruit oils and it smells so delicious.
    Next time I’m gonna use a little more coconut oil though, cause it feels a little too waxy I think.

• Bren October 15, 2014, 9:54 pm

Can you use wax instead of the beeswax? Can muffin tins be used to mold and if so, how do you get the bars out of the muffin tins?