A few years ago I gave my mother the book Nourishing Traditions. My hope was that my mother would open up this book and read it.
It took her over a year and a half to open up the book and look at it. She called me to ask me about a tonic called Beet Kvass. I told her the recipe was in the book I gave her :). She was interesting in beet kvass because a friend had told her about it. My mother and her friend made a batch of beek kvass and began to drink the kvass daily. My mother started to feel healthier and experienced better energy.
A Healing Testimony
After just a few weeks of drinking beet kvass, a wart my mother had for over 30 years vanished! The wart was on her foot and was something she always worried might be cancerous. The only thing that she had changed in her diet was drinking the beet kvass.
Beet Kvass: A Cleansing Tonic
Beet kvass is a tonic that cleanses the blood and helps detoxify the liver. As a fermented drink, it also aids in digestion. It is rich in B-complex vitamins such as niacin, pantothenic acid, pyridoxine and minerals such as iron, manganese, copper, potassium and magnesium.
How To Make Beet Kvass
- cutting board
- gallon mason jar
- gloves (optional).
- 4 organic beets
- 1½ tablespoons salt
- filtered water
- Gently wash any dirt from beets. Cut the beets into large chunks. There is no need to peel the beets.
- Place beets in mason jar.
- Add salt and fill with filtered water. Make sure to leave an inch of space between the top of the water and the lid. Use an airlock for best results.
- Cover tightly with lid and place in a warm spot in your home.
- Allow the beet kvass to ferment for 1-2 weeks.
- This method does not use a starter culture. If you would like to speed up the process you can add a tablespoon of whey or a teaspoon of vegetable starter to the kvass. You will only need to ferment the beet kvass for 2-4 days with the starter culture.
Note: Some people are turned off by the taste of beet kvass. It has a very earthy and salty taste.
Do you drink beet kvass?
Subscribe for instant access to my free ebook, Coconut Flour Recipes. I'll also send you free weekly recipes and wellness tips.