Beet Kvass

A few years ago I gave my mother the book Nourishing Traditions.  My hope was that my mother would open up this book and read it.

It took her over a year and a half to open up the book and look at it. She called me to ask me about a tonic called Beet Kvass. I told her the recipe was in the book I gave her :). She was interesting in beet kvass because a friend had told her about it. My mother and her friend made a batch of beek kvass and began to drink the kvass daily. My mother started to feel healthier and experienced better energy.

A healing testimony

After just a few weeks of drinking beet kvass, a wart my mother had for over 30 years vanished! The wart was on her foot and was something she always worried might be cancerous. The only thing that she had changed in her diet was drinking the beet kvass.

Beet Kvass: a cleansing tonic

Beet kvass is a tonic that cleanses the blood and helps detoxify the  liver. As a fermented drink, it also aids in digestion. It is rich in B-complex vitamins such as niacin, pantothenic acid, pyridoxine and minerals such as iron, manganese, copper, potassium and magnesium.

how to make beet kvass

Equipment
knife, cutting board, gallon mason jar, airlock (optional but useful)  and gloves (optional).

• 4 organic beets
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
  • filtered water
Gently wash any dirt from beets. Cut the beets into large chunks. There is no need to peel the beets. Place beets in mason jar. Add salt and fill with filtered water. Make sure to leave an inch of space between the top of the water and the lid. Use an airlock for best results. Cover tightly with lid and place in a warm spot in your home. Allow the beet kvass to ferment for 1-2 weeks.

This method does not use a starter culture. If you would like to speed up the process you can add a tablespoon of whey or a teaspoon of  vegetable starter to the kvass. You will only need to ferment the beet kvass for 2-4 days with the starter culture.

Note: Some people are turned off by the taste of beet kvass. It has a very earthy and salty taste.

Do you drink beet kvass?

• Susan Farrar Levanduski via Facebook December 4, 2012, 11:11 pm

I just got that book and cannot put it down!

• Mary August 29, 2013, 6:12 am

will it help get rid of gall stones

• Gluten Free A-Z December 5, 2012, 4:33 am

Thank you for this simple way to make beet kvass.. My friend has been telling me about it for a long time and I thought it would be complicated to make. I could do this! thanks..

• The Coconut Mama December 5, 2012, 9:06 am

Gluten Free A-Z » Your welcome :)

• XRF December 5, 2012, 5:01 am

When I google “airlock” I get several different models. What device do you suggest we use?

• kristenk December 5, 2012, 5:17 am

Why do you use an airlock and what can you do if you don’t have one/don’t get one?

• The Coconut Mama December 5, 2012, 9:09 am

kristenk » You do not have to use an airlock. The airlock helps with fermentation, but it is not necessary! Just make sure the lid is tightly closed. I didn’t use an airlock to make this batch of Beet Kvass and it turned out just fine :). Some people prefer to use the airlock though.

• Rachel B December 5, 2012, 8:40 am

^^^ I’d like to know the answer, too.

• Laila December 5, 2012, 9:03 am

Can you use the Golden Beets, also?

• The Coconut Mama December 5, 2012, 9:10 am

Laila » Yes! Golden beets make a beautiful beet kvass! :)

• Sharon December 5, 2012, 9:04 am

Me too!!! I’ve fermented veggies without an airlock and they’ve done well. I love beets so hopefully you can do this without an airlock!

• The Coconut Mama December 5, 2012, 9:11 am

Sharon » You can! I only suggest it for those who want to use it. A lot of people like to use them!

• Priscilla December 5, 2012, 1:34 pm

Can you also use a small amount of kombucha to speed up the process? Thanks, love your site.

• Joli Hart July 24, 2013, 7:27 am

Not a great idea, the results are yeasty

• Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen December 5, 2012, 3:20 pm

Yet another beverage I need to add to my arsenal. My hubby would love this!

• Cultured Palate (@culturedpal) December 6, 2012, 6:09 am

I will definitely have to try this – I have an airlock o it should work well! I have a friend who loves beet kavos and keeps getting me to try it – even her children like it.

• Rachel B December 6, 2012, 3:55 pm

I only nave quart jars. How much salt should I use in each one? Thanks.

• Tobey December 9, 2012, 9:36 am

I’m not a fan of beets, but I feel the need to try this!!

• Rachelle December 9, 2012, 9:49 am

How much do you drink per day?

• Sharon St Andre December 9, 2012, 12:30 pm

I’m intrigued…and will make this for sure to find out its benefits for myself. Do you continue to store it out of the fridge and in a dark place, and, how much should you drink daily? Once it is emptied, you throw it all away and start over or do you reuse the beets? (I can’t imagine that you would reuse the beets, but hey, I have to know).

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama December 10, 2012, 8:23 am

You store it in the fridge after it has finished fermenting. In Nourishing Traditions, Sally Fallon says to drink 4 ounces every morning and every night. You can use the beets again for a second batch.

• bb4wa December 9, 2012, 5:39 pm

I’ve seen recipes where, once the liquid is gone the beets are re-used and the process is started again. But I’d like to know what Tiffani does with the beets?

• Outnaround February 20, 2013, 6:11 am

Just finished my first ferment of Beet Kvass – Organic Beets and Sea Salt only. Tastes…”deep” Some “earthiness” and a bit of saltiness on the finish. Don’t know what all the fuss is on the taste. I really think I like this. I will definitely ferment this again, and I will not modify the ingredients list… “A Keeper”

• Jayme May 30, 2013, 2:17 pm

Sounds wonderful! Could you possibly juice the beets after the 2nd use? or first use maybe? That could help them go a little further, or do you think they’d be spent and only good for compost after the Kvass?

• Jeannette August 3, 2013, 8:54 am

Hi Jayme, I was about to ask the same question. Did you get an answer?

• Alicia June 14, 2013, 6:35 pm

Thank you for sharing this recipe, I’m going to try it, but I need to make sure that I’m understanding correctly. I’ll only need 4 beets for a gallon sized mason jar, correct? Also, once the fermentation occurs, am I supposed to leave the beets in the Kvass while they refrigerate or do I place the liquid in a pitcher minus the beets?

• shelley June 20, 2013, 6:52 am

Can you use spring water?

• Jess @ Crunchy Hot Mama July 3, 2013, 8:07 pm

So glad I found your recipe! I saw a different one that called for whey and garlic, but this is much simpler. Can’t wait to try it :)

• Helen Snyder Hooker August 29, 2013, 9:08 am

Please confirm what size “mason Jar” you mean. I immediately thought you meant a quart jar. But someone in the comments said “gallon” and you didn’t correct that.

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama August 29, 2013, 9:40 am

In the directions “Equipment: knife, cutting board, gallon mason jar, airlock (optional but useful) and gloves (optional).”

• Catherine December 7, 2013, 4:18 pm

In the Nourishing Traditions cook book it says to peel the beets. Does it matter if we peel them? Are we peeling away the good bacteria? Also, do we wash them with soap or with a vegetable wash? There are so many different recipes that I am wondering what is best to do? What is your opinion?

• Brigitte January 20, 2014, 9:33 pm

Don’t peel the beets, gently wash them, very gently! Use organic beets if possible or home grown.

• Amy McWit February 23, 2014, 7:58 am

Can I put ginger in with the beets? I’m trying this today! So excited I found your site!!!!

• Sarah March 22, 2014, 9:49 pm

This is great! I had no idea making kvass was so simple. I only have one gallon jar and I use it for my kombucha, but math wise I should be able to achieve the same results in quart size jars with one beet per jar and just a pinch over a teaspoon of salt. Thank you!

• Chandra April 28, 2014, 2:14 am

How do you know when it’s fully fermented? Thanks for the simple recipe!

• Amanda May 26, 2014, 9:50 am

If you do not use an air lock, do you need to unscrew enough to release the pressure once a day or anything?

• kkaylee August 22, 2014, 7:24 am

thank you i was looking for a recipe without a starter and now i found it. yay!!! thanks!

• Kaylee Kim August 22, 2014, 7:33 am

do you have to sanitizie the jar or not