Coconut Oil Moisturizer (Whipped Coconut Oil)

Coconut Oil Moisturizer

I haven’t purchased lotion or body butter in over five years. Instead I use coconut oil as a moisturizer. Coconut oil is amazing for the skin! It helps to reduce skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.  It also softens the skin and relieves dryness and flaking. Applied topically it helps to prevent wrinkles, saggy skin and age spots.

Whipped coconut oil works wonderful as a moisturizer. It is easily applied and doesn’t harden when it’s cold. You can add essential oils for a nice fragrance if you like. I prefer the scent of virgin coconut oil so I do not add anything to it.

Coconut Oil Moisturizer (Whipped Coconut Oil)

Equipment

Stand mixer or Hand mixer

Scoop coconut oil into mixing bowl. I used 2 cups of coconut oil. Break the coconut oil up into chunks. Turn the mixer on high and whip the coconut oil. Scrap down the sides of the bowl and continue to whip until all the coconut oil is soft and fluffy. If you’re going to add essential oils, do so at this time. Scoop coconut oil moisturizer into storage container. Use in place of lotion and body butter.

Do you use coconut oil to moisturizer your skin?

• lindacrh November 27, 2012, 2:31 pm

I use it sometimes, but I think it leaves a kind of waxy feeling residue. I prefer to mix it with other ingredients for a more full spectrum moisturizer. My favorite is olive oil, coconut oil, and aloe vera gel. Sometimes I add argan oil.

• Suzanne November 27, 2012, 2:42 pm

Do you use it on your face?

• The Coconut Mama November 27, 2012, 7:52 pm

Suzanne » Yes! I like to apply it before bed :)

• Donna November 27, 2012, 3:12 pm

It doesn’t melt back down when the temp rises?

• The Coconut Mama November 27, 2012, 7:53 pm

Donna » It will start to melt around 75 degrees.

• Rachel B November 27, 2012, 3:31 pm

I use coconut oil every on my face a.m. and p.m.; afterwards put Argan oil on my face. I love the way it feels all day.

• The Coconut Mama November 27, 2012, 7:54 pm

Rachel B » Me too!

• Betty November 27, 2012, 5:41 pm

I cook with coconut oil..use it on my skin after a bath also and use it on my face…I love it.

• Vida November 27, 2012, 6:16 pm

I live in Florida. After I have whipped my coconut oil, it has not melted back to a liquid state. It is firmer when it is cooler out. I do have to put my jar in the fridge before I whip it. I like the idea of whipping with olive oil. :) and maybe add orange essential oil…..

• The Coconut Mama November 27, 2012, 7:56 pm

Vida » Good to know! Thank you for sharing :).I live in Oregon and it is pretty cool most of the year here. My coconut oil only melts 1-2 times a year.

• Linda lee July 22, 2014, 8:48 pm

Do keep in mind that orange and other citrus essential oils (as well as bergamot and angelica)are phototoxic so should not be applied to the skin 24-36 hours before exposure to the sun. These oils are fine in soap making though due to their negligible absorption/residuality as a result of the nature of their use. Having said that, Citrus oils do lend a lovely uplifting quality to bath and body products.

• Tiffany November 27, 2012, 6:38 pm

I stopped using commercial moisturizers several years ago, opting instead for raw organic extra virgin coconut oil. I would never ever go back. One large container (about $12.00) lasts me a year. I just turned 40 and have no wrinkles! It’s the best!

• The Coconut Mama November 27, 2012, 7:57 pm

Tiffany » That’s awesome, Tiffany! Thanks for sharing :)

• Becca July 16, 2014, 10:05 am

Hi Tiffany, where do you get your olive oil? Does it have to be a special brand? I’d love to try it out!

• lisa November 27, 2012, 7:00 pm

when I was using coconut oil as a moisturizer I noticed that a mystery bump (I think now it was a wart) on my leg completely disappeared! Coconut oil is anti viral & warts are caused by a virus!

• The Coconut Mama November 27, 2012, 7:57 pm

lisa » Very cool, Lisa :)

• Cathy July 10, 2014, 6:50 pm

I’m so excited to hear this.. since the only thing the dermatologist would give me is a very caustic ointment! I’m trying it tonight!

• Glenda November 27, 2012, 9:05 pm

My mother-in-law has cellulitis…I was wondering if I put that on her shin if it would help heal it. I am going to have her start taking it orally too. This infection just will not go away! Any ideas?

• Rebecca Watkins November 28, 2012, 1:29 am

Oh I am such a fan of coconut oil- thanks coconut mama! Great resource, so simple yet so effective and a great gift idea! I would love it if you were to share this with us at Natural Mothers Network’s Seasonal Celebration http://naturalmothersnetwork.com/seasonal-celebration-sunday/seasonal-celebration-sunday-40/ Rebecca x

• Maura Lane November 28, 2012, 5:49 am

Which is the best coconut oil to use for moisturizer? Refined vs unrefined? We have gold extra virgin for cooking.

• Mele July 5, 2014, 4:37 am

Unrefined, they don’t take out all the good stuff from it :)

• magy November 28, 2012, 2:35 pm

Thank you for sharing this! I’ve just started using coconut oil this week and dropped my regular lotion. I’ve been very itchy so far, I’m hoping this will go away soon and the coconut oil goodness will kick in. I’m so glad to hear of this process to whip it!

• Rebecca Watkins November 29, 2012, 2:46 am

Thank you Coconut Mama, for popping by Seasonal Celebration! Rebecca x

• Linda December 3, 2012, 5:53 pm

What is the purpose of whipping it? I just scoop some into an old altoids tin and apply it as is. I will whip it if I know why I should.

Also, I was wondering if it should be unrefined? I bought some refined organic extra virgin from spectrum not realizing it would be different. It has no smell! Weird. Is it still going to be good?

• Cheryl Ewert via Facebook December 3, 2012, 6:51 pm

I am going to try this weekend!!!!!

• Robin @ Thank Your Body December 3, 2012, 6:56 pm

Tiffany, you really are THE coconut mama. This looks great!

Thanks for linking up to Thank Your Body Thursday! Hope you’ll come back this week and share some more great posts! http://www.thankyourbody.com

• The Coconut Mama December 4, 2012, 9:10 am

Robin @ Thank Your Body » Thanks, Robin! :) I’ll be linking up with Thank Your Body Thursday regularly!

• The Coconut Mama December 3, 2012, 8:12 pm

Linda >> Whipping it allows it to stay soft and pliable, even when it gets cold. Once the coconut oil gets cold it doesn’t scoop out so easily! :)

You can buy either or. Spectrum is my least favorite brand of coconut oil. Virgin coconut oil should have a coconut taste, refined coconut oil will not.

;)

~ Tiffany

• amber December 3, 2012, 9:11 pm

I actually really love using coconut oil as a moisturizer! I use it in one of my homemade cocoa butter lotions, and it’s so nice.

Love how simple and user friendly you made this! Such a great idea. Thank you for sharing with us on AFW! :-)

Be Well,
    –Amber

• Christy Stone via Facebook December 3, 2012, 9:46 pm

When I have used virgin coconut oil there is an odor the next day. Does whipping it make a difference? I dont care if there is a smell. The benefits outweigh the slight inconvenience. Just askin.

• Olya Szewczuk via Facebook December 4, 2012, 2:51 am

What about hot weather, surely it would melt back into liquid.

• Amanda Torres December 11, 2012, 2:52 pm

This is my question as well.  Also, does it lose its whipped qualities over time (not counting temperature changes)? I love using coconut oil on my skin and hair!

• Katherine Natalia @ Green Thickies December 4, 2012, 3:23 am

This looks great. I’ve recently started using coconut oil but can never be bothered to melt it every time I use it as it’s very cold here. So this would be perfect.
    How long does it take to whip? Many thanks

• The Coconut Mama December 4, 2012, 2:46 pm

Katherine >> Just a few minutes! It is really easy to make :)

• Kimmie December 4, 2012, 7:51 pm

I have been using coconut oil instead of lotion for years, I can’t believe the change in my skin. I use it on my scalp and hair, I’ll throw in a small scoop into an epsom salts bath and I also use it to remove my eye makeup….it takes off waterproof eyeliner or mascara effortlessly and moistuizes around the eyes at the same time. When my boys or I get an abrasion I smear some on. I have never thought to whip it though to keep it from getting hard….during the winters I really have to dig it out of my jar! Thanks so much for the great ideas I’ve found on your blog.

• Joan December 6, 2012, 1:18 pm

I have just found your interesting site,and I have tried coconut oil on my skin for the first time,it’s brilliant,it’s changed my crocodile skin into silk.Thank you so much

• Leslie @ Real Food Freaks December 11, 2012, 3:46 pm

That’s it?  That’s all there is to it??  Can’t wait to try this!

• Wendy December 11, 2012, 4:37 pm

doesn’t it melt when its hot in the house?

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama December 12, 2012, 12:55 pm

Yes! I would suggest using the coconut oil lotion bars in the summer - http://thecoconutmama.com/2012/11/coconut-oil-lotion-bar/

• Sammyjo_es December 15, 2012, 10:19 pm

My coconut oil seems to have melted, will this mean that it won’t whip?

• Anna Droste-Glowinski January 4, 2013, 10:59 am

not sure if it will whip in liquid state, cool it down (the fridge will work) and it will harden

• Mycutecrew December 28, 2012, 6:39 pm

Do you use coconut oil on your face?  Any problems with breakouts or blemishes?

• Paparazzi December 30, 2012, 1:22 pm

When I start using it on my face I do get breakouts so I stop using it, but I use it on my arms and legs and that doesn’t happen.

• konacoffeegal July 9, 2014, 7:12 pm

Hi Paparazzi, I used the coconut oil on my face and had breakouts. Try this… use small amount on face, make sure you wash your face at night and use another moisturizer if needed for the night. I also mix the coconut oil (smallish amount) with a good moisturizer and that seemed to help. After washing your face use witch hazel (organic) to close the pores. ♥

• areanna2006 January 29, 2013, 1:40 pm

I am going to try this out tonight! Are all essential oils safe to add to it? Any recommendations? Thanks!

• Sarah March 21, 2013, 10:09 pm

You can add any essential oil to an oil for application. I had to take a course on aroma therapy for a job, once, and was told any oil (olive, canola, etc.) as you do not want to apply the essential oil directly to skin. As for what kind of essential oils, it would depend on what effect you would like.

• Ahnica Thompson March 26, 2013, 11:30 am

I have found that Doterra essential oils are the best ones out there. They are totally pure(no pesticides, fillers, or artificial ingredients) and very potent so a little goes a long way. You can dilute them with a carrier oil such as fractionated coconut oil, jojoba, or olive oil based on skin sensitivity and the particular oil (ex. oregano is really hot), but there are plenty of doterra oils that are safe to apply directly to the skin. I add doterra oils (any of them) to my coconut lotion and it adds wonderful benefits based on the kind of oil I used. This company also provides tons of info about how to use the oils and what each one can do.

• TRB February 6, 2013, 12:55 pm

Yes I use it everyday! It is my eyemakeup remover, I make facial wipes to easily wipe off my face/makeup before bed and I also use it as a moisturizer, acne treatment, lip balm, supplement taken daily, cooking oil and hair conditioner! I love the stuff…obviously!! haha

• Gabriel February 6, 2013, 10:51 pm

I just bought coconut oil today to start using tomorrow. Is the whipping of the oil only to prevent it from solidifying so it’s easier to use? Or is there another reason?

• Joanstead February 7, 2013, 7:44 am

Do you use this daily before makeup or just at night?

• mistie February 7, 2013, 3:17 pm

Will it get soft and melt in the summer months or does it just stay the same? Also, do you know how I can make coconut oil stay in liquid form eihout damaging it? I’m a massage therapist and love to massage with coconut oil, but it’ difficult because it’s solidity is unstable. And I make my own deoderant with coconut oil, if I were to whip it, would I do it before or after I folded in the baking soda & arrowroot powder?

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama February 7, 2013, 4:47 pm

It will melt if it is warmer than 75 degrees.

• Mistie March 11, 2013, 7:35 pm

Thank you, Tiffany.

• Leah July 11, 2013, 2:37 pm

Mistie – I haven’t tried this yet, but I have read and am going to try this soon, maybe tonight, that if you mix coconut oil with a little of another oil, that it will keep the coconut oil as a liquid. My plan is to use another oil that I want to use on my skin, like Vitamin E oil, Jojoba oil, Almond oil, or olive oil. Then I could put my mixture in a pump bottle and it would be easier to use. This would also likely work well as a “stays liquid” massage oil, but not have any strange additives that some company might add to keep the coconut oil as a liquid, just another simple oil that’s good for your skin. Hope this helps.

• Leah July 11, 2013, 2:38 pm

Oh, possibly even an essential oil would keep the coconut oil liquid.

• terri April 23, 2014, 9:33 am

I use coconut oil as a base with essential oils for pain relief and many other uses. Adding the essential oil does not guarantee it will not harden when temperatures get warmer. I haven’t tried mixing it with almond or other oil bases, and would be interested if any of you get the result of it staying in liquid form by mixing these other bases. Even in its solid form, I’ve found the coconut oil will begin to liquify immediately by your own body heat. Just rub your fingers on it, and they will pick up the oil!

• terri April 23, 2014, 9:36 am

I didn’t proofread my comment very well….I meant to say Adding the essential oil does not guarantee it will not harden when temperatures get cooler!

• Jengo February 11, 2013, 11:12 pm

Coconut Oil becomes solid under about 76 degrees.  To warm/ liquify, use a double boiler to gently warm.  Fractionated Coconut Oil stays in liquid form.

• Mistie March 11, 2013, 7:34 pm

Yes, I know this, I was asking Tiffany if this whipped, never hard coconut oil, will still melt in the heat of summer. You see I make my own deodorant and it melts in the summer because I do not mess with adding beeswax  so I wanted to know if this whipped oil will hold it’s soft solid in the heat as it does the cold.

I am also a Massage Therapist and love to use this for massaging but it is easiest to use as a liquid, so I wanted to know if it does melt again above 76 degrees, then I wouldn’t keep it in a jar.. leaked oil in your massage bag is a big mess. Thanks though.

• terri April 23, 2014, 9:39 am

Yes, Mistie, it will melt above 75 degrees, even in the whipped form.

• Lisa February 11, 2013, 2:23 pm

“If your going to add essential oils…” sorry to be the bad guy but that should be “you’re”. Great idea for the moisturizer, though.

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama February 12, 2013, 2:43 pm

You’re correct! Thanks :)

• happyshinygal May 7, 2013, 5:56 am

Wow Tiffany you’re a great sport. Much love to you. And yes I am one of ‘those’ people too lol

• Reisjamie February 21, 2013, 1:28 pm

OMG Seriously. One of “those” people???

• happyshinygal May 7, 2013, 5:58 am

I’m a ‘bad guy’ too hon. So you’re in good company. We just can’t help it lol

• Susi-Q November 5, 2013, 6:13 pm

I love your correction.it seems nobody in this day and age knows the difference between your and you’re! it drives me crazy!! SO….I am one of “those people too :)

• Angela March 4, 2013, 10:26 am

Can I apply it on my face?

• Gill March 12, 2013, 2:37 am

I thought I’d found a miracle cure for my acne, the first month or so my skin was glowing & my adult acne (& scarring) was much better, I was telling everyone ‘Use Coconut oil!!!’…….
    but, now it has made me break out & it has really, really dried my skin! I think that it has tricked my skin into slowing down it’s natural oil production. My acne was previously around the chin area (hormonal) but this breakout is also around the nose & eyebrows too.
    Now I’m reading online that this is the case for a lot of people. I’m upset, I loved the thought of using this lovely oil & I really thought Id cracked it this time after years of using very unnatural products & antibiotics.
    Maybe it just depends on the individual as I see lots of people have had great results, perhaps those with oilier skin? Or maybe it has to be mixed with something else for some people???
    Ill continue ingesting because I do believe it has very healing properties but since I have to sort out this dry skin, no more coconut oil on my face :(

• magy March 12, 2013, 8:06 am

I had something similar happen to me. Maybe this isn’t the same case for you, but I’ve done some researching, and I’ve found I have a histamine problem that has flared up, and it causes a breakout on my face, around my eye and nose area. I’ve also been fairly itchy, and at first, I was blaming it on the coconut oil, but it turns out, this is a symptom of the high-histamine problem. Maybe this isn’t the same for you, but I thought I would offer it up in case. I now have to watch what I eat, making sure the foods are low in histamine, to keep down the itchy-ness and breakouts/rashes on my face.

• sneaky69 October 17, 2013, 12:30 pm

I read you have to keep using it through these periods because the coconut oil is finally getting rid of some nasty stuff that had latched onto your skin for a long time. Not sure based on your descriptions whether that would even be possible though.

• Carrie March 30, 2013, 2:12 pm

Same thing here, dry skin and after a while it wasn’t working anymore, but i have dry skin issues to begin with. You could try whipping tea tree oil into your coconut oil. I think tea tree oil stinks terribly but it works for clearing up my acne since it’s a natural antiseptic. The smell dissipates after a little while. You could even apply the tea tree oil without the coconut oil right before you go to bed and then you don’t have to worry about the smell.

Another option is Silver Sulfadiazine (burn ointment). Years ago i had a terrible spider bite on my face and discovered that my acne cleared up while i was treating the bite. It’s amazing how we can use products for some things and they work better than what they were originally intended for. 8-)

• minnie June 11, 2014, 1:40 pm

I add tee tree oil to mine

• Tmott24 March 12, 2013, 4:06 pm

This is what I use as lotion. Love it and the natural smell is amazing….I buy Nutiva ;)

• Vanessa Brundidge March 15, 2013, 3:00 pm

I’ve noticed that coconut oil makes my eczema worse!

• sneaky69 October 17, 2013, 12:25 pm

hmm, i have had completely the opposite effect with mine. in fact, total remission.

• patwoy November 16, 2013, 8:16 am

I’ve been told that the quality of the coconut oil determines how well it works for medicinal purposes. You may want to research the type you’re using compared to other types.

• Candice May March 26, 2013, 8:25 pm

Thanks for the great post! I also love using coconut oil on my skin. I use it after a shower and it’s great. What do you think about using liquified coconut oil? I am considering using it to make custom massage oil blends. Do you think it’s healthy? It’s the kind that is always liquid and never goes solid. Thanks!

• Sadhaka April 6, 2013, 11:17 am

If it never solidifies then it isn’t pure coconut oil. Look at the additives and other ingredients and see if those are acceptable to you. I personally just fill my massage bottle with unrefined coconut oil and stick it in some warm/hot water before I work so that it’s liquid enough for me to work with :)

• Jackie April 14, 2013, 5:06 pm

I tried making whip coconut oil with Vitamin E and it was nice for the first day. It is now back to being hard again. Is this normal? I also noticed that now I am getting bumps only on my face from it. Any suggestions beside no longer using it?

• Maggie Joyce Docking April 15, 2013, 11:52 am

I got bumps on my face too, and my arms and legs started to itch. I’ve stopped using it as a moisturizer, and it all has gone away. I’m also curious if there is something else I can use rather than going back to a chemical-loaded grocery store lotion?

• Cynthia April 23, 2013, 9:07 am

There are other things to use. Please don’t go back to the chemical-loaded grocery store lotions! :) I use a certified toxic free lotion that I love. I still use coconut oil sometimes, too.

• Guest April 23, 2013, 2:39 pm

Thanks, what lotion do you use, and where can I get some?!

• Cynthia April 23, 2013, 3:08 pm

I use Muscadine 20 Ultra Rich Lotion from Nature’s Pearl. I’d be happy to send you a free sample so you can see how your skin responds to it before you buy it. (I’m a distributor) I don’t know if it’s appropriate for me to put my website on here(?), but my distributor number is 11941 if you get to the NP site. But, get your address to me at c.d.helmuth@gmail.com, and I’ll send you some to try. :)

• Nikki Herberger May 6, 2013, 5:31 pm

You could also try Mommypotamus has a recipe for lotion with less coco oil and you could replace the coconut oil with something else lik shea butter, mango butter etc. I like almond oil and jojoba oil for face because they are both fairly uncomedgenic (like a 1 on the scale!) I work at a skin care clinic so I know a lot about it =) Rose hip oil too is SUPER good for face and especially faces that tend to get bumpy/broken out. Its a dry oil so it absorbs right away and has high levels of Vitamin A so causes increased cell turn over helping with wrinkles, pigmentation, and acne! Hah sorry for the long rant =)

• happyshinygal May 7, 2013, 6:03 am

We appreciate it Nikki. Thanks

• M July 10, 2013, 4:32 am

I recommend Jojoba oil – its the oil closest to our natural skin sebum so its very easily absorbed and doesn’t usually react. I use that on my face and neck and chest every night and its heavenly :)

• Uhuru July 25, 2013, 5:41 pm

I have extremely dry skin. I am working on finding a solid dermatologist to help me out- I’m at my wit’s end and I think I may either have damaged skin or a ph imbalance. I tried using jojoba oil but it couldn’t retain any moisture in my skin past an hour. Coconut oil helps with the moisture as long as I use it two-three times a day, but I get small bumps on my skin like other posters mentioned. Jojoba oil and coconut oil are great for aftershave though!

• Lyrica April 23, 2013, 11:50 am

Coconut oil is quite comedogenic, so I wouldn’t advise using it on your face. Try one of the other cold pressed oils on this list that work better on delicate facial skin: http://www.beneficialbotanicals.com/facts-figures/comedogenic-rating.html

• Alisa June 17, 2013, 1:46 am

How do you use it for your hair?

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama July 5, 2013, 9:17 pm

You can. I use coconut oil as a hair treatment from time to time.

• sneaky69 October 17, 2013, 12:27 pm

Yes, my wife’s hair got damaged from a permanent. She applied coconut oil to her hair immediately. Problem solved. Looks great now.

• Russell Bly July 5, 2013, 7:29 pm

Be careful if you have well water. Without preservatives, it’s easy for bacteria to flourish.

• FaceliftMask July 5, 2013, 7:32 pm

Great point! Also, wash your hands with an antibacterial soap between applications.

• Kate April 9, 2014, 1:45 pm

Please don’t wash your hands with antibacterial soap. Regular soap takes care of all your bacterial/viral/fungal cleaning very well. Adding antibiotics to soap is only causing bacteria to develop antibiotic resistance much faster.
        Thanks,
        A concerned microbiologist.

• Mandy July 22, 2013, 12:56 pm

I need some advice… I use coconut oil as a whole body moisturizer, after shower, before bed. I’ve been noticing though that it leaves a residue in my clothes even after laundering. Mostly it’s Pj’s so it’s not a huge problem, but I’m concerned about the residue getting moldy or musty in my dresser. For example after washing a black nightshirt, it looks fine right out of the wash, but after sitting in my dresser for a few days or so I go to put it on and it’s got these pale whitish streaks and splotches all over it. Does anybody have any advice on how to wash this stuff out completely?

• Uhuru July 25, 2013, 5:36 pm

It might help to add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of distilled white vinegar in place of fabric softener when you do your laundry. Vinegar does so many wonderful things here. It removes any residue that builds up in the washing machine, it’s great for helping towels to become fluffy and absorbent (fabric softener should never be used on towels), it doesn’t leave a chemical residue on your clothes and towels which touch your skin, it’s a cheap alternative to traditional fabric softeners, and it won’t make your clothes smell like anything. I have been using vinegar in place of fabric softener for over a year now and haven’t regretted the decision to switch.

• Alida July 9, 2014, 3:44 pm

I have been using vinegar as softener for years now… never looked back! It’s awesome!

• Tabitha February 6, 2014, 1:54 pm

When you wash your clothes treat the oily areas with Dawn it still an oil so this is what I would use

• linda July 24, 2013, 3:40 pm

what if you only have the liquid kind of coconut oil, what can you do with that? I bought it by mistake.

• coytle August 26, 2013, 7:48 am

Coconut oil is only liquid if it is too warm. It solidifies under 76 degrees. Try keeping it some place cooler or in the fridge.

• DaB July 30, 2013, 11:26 pm

As long as you’re making any coconut lotion, salve or bar its always a good idea to add some nutracuticals to the mix to enhance it. Easy ones because they come in oil already, include vitamin E (use high gamma or full spectrum natural forms), tocotrienols, CoQ10 (ubiquinol), grapeseed oil, circumin (micronized, careful the coloring!) and beta carotene (just a very small amount due to intense coloring). You can mix equal amounts of water with the coconut oil by creating an emulsion with 1 TBSP lecithin (non GMO!) per cup of mix (this has to be whipped warm to make). Into the water can first be dissolved additional goodies for your skin including alpha lipoic acid, ascorbic acid, EGCG, resveratrol, melatonin, pomegranate, silymarin/silibinin, gotu kola, and horse chestnut. For the organic herbs I suggest making an infusion (tea) and strain out the pieces before mixing with the warmed coconut oil & lecithin. Add zinc oxide for some added sun protection or D3 oil (a lot of IU is OK) if you’re not getting sun. The easy ones and lecithin can generally be squeezed out of gelcaps, but if you try to use the dry ingredients from supplement capsules there may be various fillers etc in there which you don’t want – read the other ingredients label & figure one of them will be the cap itself. You may have to experiment to get the right mixture result depending on your specific ingredients, but its easy to warm up again and add more of something as needed to get the right result. Sometimes the resulting warm mixed liquid does not set up well until refrigerated, thereafter it was a stable solid or semi solid at room temp.

• E.E. August 9, 2013, 8:18 pm

I love coconut oil, it’s the best thing you can put on your skin.

• E.E. August 11, 2013, 2:46 am

and it’s also great for your health. 1-2 tablespoons a day.

• Sandy K September 10, 2013, 1:39 pm

Yes, I use coconut oil as a moisturizer. I haven’t whipped it so I think I will try whipping for a smoother cream.

• Susi-Q November 5, 2013, 6:15 pm

The whipped coconut oil is a fabulous idea!! I whip my shea butter but I have never thought to whip my coconut oil! Thank you !! I LOVE my organic extra virgin coconut oil !!!

• Shay November 16, 2013, 10:45 am

I LOVE coconut oil! I added just a bit of almond oil to mine, along with some tea tree, orange, and lavender essential oils, since I mostly use it on my face. I just love finding recipes that I can use coconut oil with :)

• Christen March 15, 2014, 4:03 am

Thank you, I’ve just been looking for info about this topic for ages and yours is the best
    I’ve discovered so far. But, what about the conclusion? Are you sure in regards to the
    source?

• Rebecka March 30, 2014, 11:10 pm

I see so many recipes featuring coconut oil that seem to be created by people who live in warm climates, because there’s never any mention of rock hard coconut oil. At room temperature here, my coconut oil needs to be carved out with a knife. Should I microwave it until it’s liquid before I whip it, or at what consistency should it be?

• minnie June 11, 2014, 1:47 pm

If you melt it before you whip it it wont get fluffy, i did that and it didnt work. I had to put it in the fridge to get hard again, then it still didnt look right

• Hannah July 28, 2014, 6:47 pm

Don’t microwave it! You’ll get rid of all the goodness!
      If you need to use a double boiler or the like, but not the microwave!

• Wendy April 3, 2014, 9:52 pm

I added some jojoba oil, glycerin, aloe vera, primrose oil, lemon essential oil, lavender essential oil and whipped it up, I’ve been using it on my face for the last few day. Love it! Thank you for sharing.

• Heather April 7, 2014, 11:42 am

I love coconut oil but I’m wondering, if you use it to take off makeup..or put it on in the morning, do you leave it on for just a few minutes and then rinse it off, wash your face, or do you just leave it on altogether?

• Therese April 17, 2014, 2:12 pm

Love your blog! I’m obsessed with coconut oil. I’ve been oil pulling for about two weeks and my teeth look whiter and my mouth just feels cleaner. I use coconut oil for my face and body. I have a skin condition (keratosis pilaris – those yucky bumps on the upper arm) and coconut oil has lauric acid which is antifungal and really helps my upper arms. I do a combo of diluted raw apple cider vinegar rinse on my upper arms and then finish off with coconut oil. I tried making coconut oil body butter but didn’t work so I’ll have to check out your site. I also love using coconut water and milk when cooking and baking. Thanks for all your great coconut ideas.

• antique furniture April 19, 2014, 2:28 pm

Amazing blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers?

I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m a little lost on everything.
    Would you recommend starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for
    a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I’m totally confused ..
    Any recommendations? Thanks a lot!

• music April 27, 2014, 12:25 pm

‘ Try to wait at least five seconds before blinking
    after applying mascara to avoid smudging. Bronzer can also be applied to the
    neck and shoulders and to create a killer cleavage. Consider curling – If you have long lashes that are
    straight, this can provide a great look.

• Dustin Pedroia Jersey April 27, 2014, 7:29 pm

I’m really impressed with your writing talents and also
    with the format in your blog. Is that this a paid
    subject or did you modify it your self? Anyway keep up the nice quality writing,
    it is uncommon to peer a nice blog like this one these days..

• Marian Hossa Jersey May 4, 2014, 1:53 pm

Greetings from Los angeles! I’m bored at work so I decided to browse your site on my iphone during lunch break.
    I really like the info you present here and can’t wait to
    take a look when I get home. I’m amazed at how quick your blog loaded on
    my cell phone .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G ..
    Anyhow, fantastic blog!

• Michelle May 9, 2014, 6:39 am

Love this! As an estitician it drives me nuts to see all of the unnecessary dangerous ingredients in everyday products. I’ve been playing with coconut oil as a base for awhile. I mix tea tree oil with it to replace triple antibiotic/bacitracin. Heal wounds so much faster! For beauty I mix different variations of any of these: grapeseed oil great for anti aging, jojoba oil is the closest to our natural sebum so great for dry and dehydrated skin, tea tree oil great for acne and a mild exfoliate. Love the whipped texture too!

• Elaine May 16, 2014, 6:47 am

Just whipped coconut oil??? That’s it? =)

• fl. May 22, 2014, 10:13 pm

I do consider alll the ideas you have offered to your post.
    They’re very convincing and can certainly work. Nonetheless, the posts are very quick for novices.
    Could you please extend them a bit from subsequent time?Thank you for the post.

• Carolyn May 28, 2014, 5:34 pm

Just recently discovered Coconut Oil and how it benefits me and my family. Loving this idea for myself. I use coconut oil in the morning and night on my skin, including my face. I’m making coconut lotion bars for my girls whom have had eczema since they were babies. Coconut oil is fantastic for them. Have to say, my daughters were reluctant to put coconut oil on their skin. However, since they ran out of store bought lotion, they have been using it. They have noticed a difference with flair ups. The eczema is rarely a bother. And if it is, I ask if they have been using the coconut? “Oh yeah!”. Lol.
    I feel strongly about coconut oil!

• Grayce May 29, 2014, 2:47 am

I started using cocount oil within the last year and love it. Would be interested in expanding my usage of it.

• Kimi May 30, 2014, 9:43 am

I live in Florida. Whipped coconut oil just doesn’t work, it melts. So I like to whip it with mango butter. Mango butter also has skin healing properties. But I’m always open to other ways. Any suggestions? Love your site!
    Namaste
    Kimi

• Erin June 1, 2014, 10:39 am

Kimi, I live in south Spain, a very hot place too. What I do with the coconut oil is to keep it in the fridge until I can whip it. When it´s cool is really easy to get it soft. You can return it to the fridge as many times as you want to.

• Erin June 1, 2014, 10:36 am

Hi, I´ve just have done some coconat oil moisturizer and I wanted to put some essential oil in. How many drops should I use? Does it depend on the oil?
    I love all your advices and I think they are very helpful.
    Thanks a lot!
    Erin.

• Nicola June 13, 2014, 12:52 pm

What other oils would worked in the whipped coconut oil?

• Patricia Swayze June 16, 2014, 12:09 pm

I have been researching oils for facial serums and have found that rose hip oil is very good for dry skin but not good for acne. It is best to use a base oil like jojoba, apricot oil and then add additives like rose hip, or neem oil for acne. Grape seed oil is also good for sensitive skin and acne prone. To help your oils last longer add fractionated coconut oil as this has an indefinite shelf life and is very neutral, practically any skin type can tolerate fractionated coconut oil. Adding rosemary extract ( not the same as rosemary essential oil) helps prolong the shelf life but only use 1 percent of your total oil. And never add water to your concoctions unless you are going to use within a few days or add an appropriate preservative. Some of you may know this but hope this information can help those of you who are new to making your own skin care products. I have my esthetician license and my cosmetology license. Making your own products is fun, economical and the possibilities are endless!

• Teresa July 3, 2014, 5:50 pm

I live in Florida and in the summer the house stays 76-80 degrees. I whipped my oil and all was great. It was out overnight and by morning, it was melted. Yikes!

Any suggestion?

• Pat July 12, 2014, 7:43 am

I’ve had the same problem Teresa – unlike when I made it in the winter….very frustrating

• Emily July 11, 2014, 9:46 am

I really appreciated this article, as the idea of using coconut oil on your body is brand new to me. I’ve had really embarrassing stretch marks along my torso since I was about 14, after losing quite a bit of weight. As pleased as I am to have kept the weight off, I find, 12 years later, that I’m still really uncomfortable in a two-piece bathing suit. I wondered if anyone had any insight regarding the use of coconut oil on old stretch marks. Any advice is appreciated!

• Pat July 12, 2014, 7:40 am

I’ve been trying to make coconut body butter as I’ve done before but am having trouble in the warm weather – any suggestions??….would be greatly appreciated

• Diana July 14, 2014, 5:55 am

Hi, I would love to try this.

Would this work out in a food processor, instead of stand mixer? Thanks. :)

• Maria September 7, 2014, 4:01 pm

I have read a lot of post here, and I don’t think anyone has addressed the real problem with “dry skin” or “breakouts”…doing a cleanse to get rid of toxins would take care of the problem, then the coconut oil could be used. I’ve done it and it works.. And so does the coconut oil.