Here are 28 coconut milk recipes, including sweet dishes and savory recipes. Coconut milk is an excellent substitute for milk and can be used as a base for many main dishes and desserts. Try these recipes to impress your friends and family.
Coconut milk is a versatile pantry staple used by both vegan and omnivore eaters. Its rich, creamy texture and smooth consistency are vital ingredients in many famous dishes. So if you’re looking for ways to use up the can of coconut milk in your pantry, take a look at some of these tasty recipes!
Coconut Milk Products
Before I list all my favorite ways to use coconut milk, let’s briefly explain the different types of coconut milk out there.
- Coconut Milk this is the carton of coconut milk that you’ll find near other dairy-free milk options at the grocery store. It’s made by blending canned coconut milk with water and an emulsifier and is thinner than canned coconut milk.
- Canned Coconut Milk is thick and creamy. When you open a can of coconut milk, you will see coconut cream and coconut liquid. The solid cream is pure coconut cream. If I’m using just coconut cream for a recipe, I will refrigerate the canned coconut milk for 4-8 hours. Then I scoop the coconut cream from the top of the canned milk. Canned coconut milk can be light coconut milk and full-fat coconut milk, so make sure you have the correct type of coconut milk on hand before making your recipe. The cream of top of coconut milk is called coconut cream and is a suitable substitute for heavy cream. (It can also replace coconut milk in a pinch if necessary)
Use the Best Coconut Milk for these recipes
My two cents? The best coconut milk is the coconut milk you make at home. My recipes are simple, easy, fast, and don’t take a bunch of ingredients. Making coconut milk at home means you can control the quality and ensure no chemicals, additives, preservatives, etc. have been added.
If you don’t have the time to make coconut milk, make sure you check the label for organic, single origin, and the aforementioned preservatives and chemicals. Or – I’ve done the heavy lifting for you, so you can just check out this explainer on the best coconut milk you can buy.
The Best Coconut Milk Recipes
Below you’ll find 28 healthy recipes that use creamy coconut milk!
Coconut Milk Main Dish Recipes
- Coconut Curry Chicken | This Coconut Chicken Curry recipe is perfect for a family dinner or a quick weeknight meal. It’s delicious, comforting, and easy to prepare using basic ingredients. All you need is full fat coconut milk, red curry paste, curry powder, fresh ginger, sweet potatoes, cilantro and chicken breasts or tofu.
- Easy Butter Chicken | This easy Keto Butter Chicken requires no marinating or a long list of ingredients. Instead, it’s made with coconut cream, tomato sauce, and warm spices like cinnamon but tastes like the authentic version.
- Vegan Butternut Squash Soup with Coconut Milk | This butternut squash soup with coconut milk is full of flavor, is easy to make, and freezes well. It’s a perfect vegan dinner any time of the year! But, you don’t have to follow a vegan diet to enjoy this dish.
- Thai Coconut Soup | Tom Kha Gai (also known as Thai Coconut Soup) is a delicious soup with coconut milk, lime juice, thai green curry paste, chicken broth and a variety of vegetables and spices. Enjoy this soup alone, or serve with rice noodles or potatoes.
Coconut Milk Beverages
- Iced Coconut Milk Coffee Latte | This coconut milk coffee is the perfect iced latte with a light coconut flavor and is naturally sweetened with maple syrup. This recipe is dairy-free, vegan, and paleo with keto options.
- Virgin Pina Colada | Looking for the refreshing taste of piña coladas but without the alcohol? My Virgin Pina Colada recipe is the perfect solution!
- Boba Tea Recipe | This dairy-free boba tea (aka bubble tea) is made with homemade tapioca pearls and coconut milk. This delicious recipe is different than the average boba tea recipe out there.
- Thai Tea (Paleo Style) | Creamy, luxurious Paleo Thai Tea made with black tea, natural sweeteners, spices and coconut milk. The perfect beverage for Thai dishes and more!
- Coconut Hot Chocolate | Love hot cocoa? Coconut milk is a great dairy substitute for regular milk in this recipe. This coconut milk hot chocolate is rich and creamy!
- Keto Mojito Smoothie | I couldn’t leave smoothies off this list. Smoothies are a great way to use up leftover coconut milk. This Mojito Smoothie is a delicious green smoothie with a smudge of sweetness. This smoothie is made with avocado, spinach, coconut cream, and stevia and is mixed up in a blender and served with lime wedges.
- Matcha Latte (Keto Friendly) | My coconut matcha latte is creamy and packed with healthy fats and antioxidants. It’s a perfect way to start your morning and has a very subtle coconut flavor! All you need is leftover coconut milk , matcha powder, maple syrup (or other sweetener) and MCT powder.
Coconut Milk Desserts
- Coconut Ice Cream | This coconut ice cream recipe is made with coconut milk, vanilla, honey (or sweetener of choice), and toasted coconut. This is the best coconut milk ice cream, and it’s dairy-free, paleo, with keto and vegan options. Below I’ll show you how to make this tasty treat with these simple ingredients, and you don’t need an ice cream machine to make it either!
- Dole Whip | Dole Whip is a pineapple flavored ice cream treat served at Walt Disney World and other theme parks. You can easily make it at home with simple ingredients! This recipe has vegan and dairy-free options!
- Coconut Mint Ice Cream | This delicious coconut mint ice cream comes together with coconut milk, honey, avocado, peppermint extract, and chocolate chips! It’s the perfect dairy-free mint ice cream full of nourishing ingredients!
- Coconut Popsicles | Skip the store-bought popsicles laden with processed ingredients like refined sugar, preservatives, and colors, and instead make these delicious low sugar coconut popsicle treats at home! This recipe is vegan-friendly and dairy-free, with keto options.
- Coconut Whipped Cream | Coconut whipped cream is a great dairy-free substitute for traditional whipped cream. With only three ingredients, it can be whipped up within minutes. All you need is a can of coconut cream! This coconut whipped cream recipe is dairy-free, vegan, keto, and Whole-30 friendly.
- Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream | This dairy-free chocolate coconut milk ice cream is made with coconut cream, cocoa powder, vanilla, and pure maple syrup. You’ll love how easy it is to make!
- Orange Coconut Creamsicle | Orange coconut creamsicles are the perfect dairy-free creamsicle made with orange juice, coconut milk, honey, and vanilla. These popsicles are paleo-friendly and delicious!
- Coconut Cream Pie | Get ready to taste the Best Keto Coconut Cream Pie. Dairy-free vanilla pudding, mixed with coconut flakes, then topped with yummy whipped topping, and toasted coconut flakes. It’s the must-have pie recipe for your collection.
Coconut Side Dishes, Snacks & Condiments
- Coconut Milk Yogurt (Vegan Recipe) | Homemade yogurt is one of the simplest cultured foods you can make in your kitchen. You need good quality milk and yogurt from a previous batch or a yogurt starter culture. This dairy-free recipe uses coconut milk and is simply delicious!
- Coconut Rice Recipe | Coconut rice is made worldwide and is prepared in many different ways. I enjoyed this dish in Hawaii and Mexico, served with tropical fruit and fish.
- Cream of Coconut (Coco Lopez Cream Alternative) | Cream of coconut is a sweet coconut syrup made with sugar and coconut milk. It’s a key ingredient in Pina Coladas and many tropical cocktails. Although coco Lopez Cream of Coconut and Real Gourmet are brands that make cream of coconut, this recipe works as an alternative.
- Coconut Chia Seed Pudding | This coconut milk chia pudding is a beautiful dessert rich in omega-3s. This recipe is a healthy alternative to high-sugar processed desserts. Instead of sugar, it uses pure maple syrup (or stevia) as a natural sweetener.
- Coconut Fruit Dip | This healthy dairy-free coconut fruit dip is made with only three ingredients! Serve with fresh organic fruit or coconut flour graham crackers.
- Coconut Gummy Snacks | These coconut gummy snacks are delicious and rich in healthy fats and protein. My kids love them and eat them up every time I make them!
- Coconut Fat Bombs | Coconut fat bombs are the perfect keto treat to help curb sugar cravings and satiate your appetite. This recipe is keto, paleo, vegan, and whole30 friendly.
- Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk | This homemade condensed milk recipe is a perfect substitute for making dairy-free treats! This recipe can be sugar-free as well.
- Coconut Oatmeal | This delicious breakfast recipe for creamy coconut oatmeal made with organic oats, vanilla extract, coconut milk, coconut sugar, and toasted coconut! Make this oatmeal in an instant pot or slow cooker and serve it with sliced banana, blueberries, or peanut butter.
- How To Make Coconut Milk (3 Ways) | Looking for a healthy dairy-free alternative to cow’s milk? Learn how to make coconut milk at home with just two ingredients! This excellent substitute is full of healthy fats and essential nutrients.
28 Delicious Coconut Milk Recipes: Savory and Sweet
Here are 28 coconut milk recipes, including sweet dishes and savory recipes. Coconut milk is an excellent substitute for milk and can be used as a base for many main dishes and desserts.
- Prep Time: 5
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Coconut Curry Chicken
- Easy Butter Chicken
- Vegan Butternut Squash Soup with Coconut Milk
- Thai Coconut Soup
- Iced Coconut Milk Coffee Latte
- Virgin Pina Colada
- Boba Tea Recipe
- Thai Tea (Paleo Style)
- Coconut Hot Chocolate
- Keto Mojito Smoothie
- Coconut Ice Cream
- Dole Whip
- Coconut Mint Ice Cream
- Coconut Popsicles
- Coconut Whipped Cream
- Coconut Chocolate Ice Cream
- Orange Coconut Creamsicles
- Coconut Cream Pie
- Coconut Milk Yogurt
- Coconut Rice Recipe
- Cream of Coconut (Coco Lopez Cream Alternative)
- Coconut Chia Seed Pudding
- Coconut Fruit Dip
- Coconut Gummy Snacks
- Coconut Fat Bombs
- Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk
- Coconut Oatmeal
- How To Make Coconut Milk From Scratch
- Find a coconut milk recipe you’d like to try.
- Make sure you have your ingredients ready for the recipe and follow the instructions.
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 100-300
Leave a Comment